• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peyton Manning on Will Levis and the Panthers

Panthers Fan 69

Will Levis passes the eye ball test at Kentucky, but no one really talks about him getting beat out by Sean Clifford at Penn St. and having to transfer to Kentucky.  That raises questions for me. How can we expect Levis  to lead an NFL team when he couldn’t beat a guy that won’t be drafted? 

I get the questions about CJ Stroud in the Ohio State offense, but when you watch the tape CJ  looks like a future star. I like both prospects but it’s important to get it right this time. I hope our scouting staff looks at every potential aspect and scenario to uncover flaws for both QB prospects. Baker is fool’s gold. We don’t need to be starstruck. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Beast_3000 said:

Will Levis passes the eye ball test at Kentucky, but no one really talks about him getting beat out by Sean Clifford at Penn St. and having to transfer to Kentucky.  That raises questions for me. How can we expect Levis  to lead an NFL team when he couldn’t beat a guy that won’t be drafted? 

I get the questions about CJ Stroud in the Ohio State offense, but when you watch the tape CJ  looks like a future star. I like both prospects but it’s important to get it right this time. I hope our scouting staff looks at every potential aspect and scenario to uncover flaws for both QB prospects. Baker is fool’s gold. We don’t need to be starstruck. 

Coach Franklin has been know to play his older players. It’s just the way the runs the team. The backup qb at penn st drew allar was one of the best passers in the country and unlocks their playbook but he still goes with Clifford.

it’s not Levis unable to beat out Clifford, it’s Levis unable to be old enough for Franklin. I’m sure there are some PSU fans on this board who can validate this. 

also, Franklin is a hell of a recruiter but a mediocre game day coach.

• Pie 3

GMs and coaches have to choose what philosophy you embrace. Find a guy who is football savvy, a quick processor and a great game manager who is accurate and has an average NFL arm like Jones. Or you pick a guy with great athleticism which translated often to lots of one read and run with lots of short passes and limited reads so he might have great potential but he will need lots of work being raw like Willis. After all the job of a college coach is to win games not develop players for the NFL. Are there guys who have it all and could come in and start at a high level who come from a big program and have the football skills, and the athleticism so the learning curve isn't so extreme. If so I want that unicorn. Before I just pick a guy at QB when we already have Corral I need to know he is the one. Otherwise I can have the best player in the draft at any position or trade back to let's say 10 and get more picks.  I want that unicorn. Is that the guy from Kentucky? Or maybe Stroud or McKee

5 hours ago, Beast_3000 said:

Didn’t Joe Borrow have to leave Ohio state to go to LSU because they started another QB over him? Tua over Hurts, it’s happened plenty of times before.

12 hours ago, rippadonn said:

9 rushing TDs 

Screenshot_20221015-222346~2.png

Yeah but 3.2, 3.5 and -1.4 ypc isn’t good. Also I’m sick of people acting like QB rushing TDs matter. Most of the time they are just running it up the middle for a few inches, stretching out their arms for the td or running it in while the defense is covering everyone else so the qb litterally has to walk into the end zone for an easy score.

22 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Yeah but 3.2, 3.5 and -1.4 ypc isn’t good. Also I’m sick of people acting like QB rushing TDs matter. Most of the time they are just running it up the middle for a few inches, stretching out their arms for the td or running it in while the defense is covering everyone else so the qb litterally has to walk into the end zone for an easy score.

If our RB could consistently get those goal line TDs or third and inches we'd be a better team.

We've been spoiled by Cam in that respect because 3/4 and inches was almost automatic.

Levis is no Cam but he can get you those third and inches, third and ones.

Also, he has a new OC so he may be limiting runs by his QB.

Edited by rippadonn