• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks ain't it

top dawg

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

It's also proving that Huddlers have gotten to the point where they accept sub-mediocrity---hell, just bad, as normal. 

Well, I'm not ready to debate such a thing.  I think everyone wants our team to be winners.  They just have different opinions on how it'll happen.  Unfortunately the masses are suffering from severe depression and desperation,  and it shows. 

5 hours ago, Zappy said:

How would we know if Wilks 'ain't it' when his team can't pass the ball in a modern pass friendly NFL

Seriously. Do you think that it's just sheer coincidence that Walker basically attempted four passes past the LOS yesterday? Do you think that Walker's worst game just coincidentally happened once Wilks became HC? 

Wilks signed off on that sh¡t show of attack yesterday, and added to it by shutting the team down with approximately 90 seconds in the half and three timeouts remaining. Passing was not in Wilks' vocabulary yesterday, unless it was passing on an attempt to play big boy football and push the ball down field. 

Edited by top dawg

11 hours ago, OldhamA said:

That's the thing, going into the game I would have agreed that we were never going to beat the defending SB Champions.

Then the actual game happened and the Rams looked like ass for 30 mins. How did Wilks react? By shutting it down and kneeling to get to half time.

Awful coaching. Play to win or gtfo.

Make no mistake Wilks is a short timer.  I'm surprised he accepted the position in the first place. It's a no win job. But I guess it comes with a fat severance check in the form of a temporary salary until all of them are shown the door when the season is over. He will go back to the college ranks until he retires.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:27 AM, poundaway said:

I didn't want to  be aggressive at that point in time.  Ben  and I talked about it I felt like we  were in a good rhythm uh from the  standpoint of what we were doing for is  running the ball.   I didn't want to put PJ  in the situation where we started having  to get aggressive and spread it out.

Here's the problem with that explanation. There aren't only two options here of force PJ to play aggressively or roll over and give up. The obvious decision was use the first time out to get the ball back with a minute left, see if you get decent field position on the punt return and then start with a conservative play call like a quick screen or run with McCaffrey. If you get 6+ yards, we're past the 40 and only need 25 yards to get into fg range. You're telling me with 1-2 timeouts (depending on whether we needed to use one on 1st down) and close to 1 minute on the clock, PJ couldn't handle that? And if 1st and/or 2nd down go poorly, you can run/kneel it and let the clock run out then. Rams didn't even have any timeouts. Just an indefensible decision and if you're the offense and that didn't piss you off that the coach had so little confidence in you he was worried, despite the Rams having zero timeouts, that you were more likely to turn it over and give up points than get in fg range, you need to have some basic self respect or get out of the league.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

BS excuse, sorry.

No matter who the QB is you can't win in the modern NFL never throwing past 10 yards. Even with Teddy Noodlearm under center they never completely abandoned the deep ball and the threat was enough to keep us in games. Call the game to win. If PJ can't deliver that's on him, but now it's on the coaches who lost before the game even started going with this unwinnable strategy.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

BS excuse, sorry.

No matter who the QB is you can't win in the modern NFL never throwing past 10 yards. Even with Teddy Noodlearm under center they never completely abandoned the deep ball and the threat was enough to keep us in games. Call the game to win. If PJ can't deliver that's on him, but now it's on the coaches who lost before the game even started going with this unwinnable strategy.

Belichick did it, though that was in a specific situation.

To be clear though, it's not an excuse for what happened. It's an explanation why it did.

And to be fair, Wilks didn't choose to have PJ on roster. That was Rhule.

• Pie 2