• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Real Talk

joemac

22 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’ll never understand this “blow everything up” mentality. I can only assume it’s petulance. You don’t build a good team by discarding all the good players. The only good player that should even be considered is CMC and ONLY if we get a significant return for him. I only say him because of the risk of injury and probable longevity at that position.  Otherwise, people saying trade Burns, Chinn, DJ, we’re not likely to get equal in the draft with whatever picks we get for them. Probably not even close. Makes no sense. 

I agree. What respectable coach will want to come here with no foundation? 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I’ll never understand this “blow everything up” mentality. I can only assume it’s petulance. You don’t build a good team by discarding all the good players. The only good player that should even be considered is CMC and ONLY if we get a significant return for him. I only say him because of the risk of injury and probable longevity at that position.  Otherwise, people saying trade Burns, Chinn, DJ, we’re not likely to get equal in the draft with whatever picks we get for them. Probably not even close. Makes no sense. 

I'm equally mystified by the notion that a single game tells us everything there is to know.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm equally mystified by the notion that a single game tells us everything there is to know.

It feels like it’s been two and a half seasons though, not just one game. 

the “it’s only one game” excuse can’t be used EVERY single game.

• Pie 1

Just now, a_gumbel said:

You know damn well what I’m talking about. 

Not really.

We’ve only had one game out from under Matt Rhule’s control. That’s not enough of a sample size to evaluate much of anything properly.

Of course, If all you really care about is projecting the entire future based on knee jerk reactions, then welp…

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not really.

We’ve only had one game out from under Matt Rhule’s control. That’s not enough of a sample size to evaluate much of anything properly.

Of course, If all you really care about is projecting the entire future based on knee jerk reactions, then welp…

Again let’s no pretend like this is the only game we can draw from. We’ve seen this product and mentality trotted out for long enough now. It’s clear enough that poo is sideways, poo is broken, and if you don’t think that idk. We gave rhule how long? We decided to out cute the league by rehashing Two Glove Teddy, then repeat the mistake with Darnold, then tripled down with Baker. This has been happening for more than one game I feel like I’m taking crazy pills rn, again if you are satisfied with the product rn more power to you. If you have the patience to wait and see if we can turn it around more power to you. But don’t pretend like this is reactionary based off one game. This is a culmi-mother fuging-nation of years of shitty decisions. 

1 minute ago, a_gumbel said:

Again let’s no pretend like this is the only game we can draw from. We’ve seen this product and mentality trotted out for long enough now. It’s clear enough that poo is sideways, poo is broken, and if you don’t think that idk. We gave rhule how long? We decided to out cute the league by rehashing Two Glove Teddy, then repeat the mistake with Darnold, then tripled down with Baker. This has been happening for more than one game I feel like I’m taking crazy pills rn, again if you are satisfied with the product rn more power to you. If you have the patience to wait and see if we can turn it around more power to you. But don’t pretend like this is reactionary based off one game. This is a culmi-mother fuging-nation of years of shitty decisions. 

And the guy responsible for all of that…has been fired.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And the guy responsible for all of that…has been fired.

I understand. I wish I had your optimism Mr. Scot. I don’t hate the team. I’m not one of the folks calling for a fire sale type blow up. I am however comfortable saying we are a historically BAD team and I don’t see that changing for this season or the next. It’s not like we were close to figuring it out but need a new direction. We aren’t the 2014 warriors, were the 0-16 browns. There is no light at the end of the tunnel 😞 

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I agree thatt you can't always be getting rid of all of your players but you have to factor in the cap.

The players you get in the draft don't have to be as good, you are forgetting about the cap savings.

Lets say player A is a really good player about to off of his rookie contract.  2 options here, pay player A $20m a year, or trade player a for a 2nd round pick and use the $20m to sign a player in free agency that is almost just as good.  The pick is almost just bonus.

Brian Burns with a $8m cap hit doesn't have the same value as a $32m cap hit.

This is the problem with being this bad, we are missing on taking advantage of some good players on cheap contracts.  Lets say we go the rookie QB route next year, even if you select the right one, realistically you are really looking at 2-3 years before being really competitive. 

2 minutes ago, a_gumbel said:

I understand. I wish I had your optimism Mr. Scot. I don’t hate the team. I’m not one of the folks calling for a fire sale type blow up. I am however comfortable saying we are a historically BAD team and I don’t see that changing for this season or the next. It’s not like we were close to figuring it out but need a new direction. We aren’t the 2014 warriors, were the 0-16 browns. There is no light at the end of the tunnel 😞 

I wouldn’t really say I’m an optimist (and neither would a lot of others) 😏

I just see this as kind of uncharted territory.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You’re not understanding it because you don’t appear to be considering the cap. It isn’t looking great. Money was spent on sub par players like Anderson and Thomas. Shaq’s contract makes me want to vomit. DJ is a mediocre contract but if his motivation falls anymore off a cliff it will turn to bad. And that’s likely, 

You have to consider the future, and in saying that you have to realize when getting a pick is better than having to let a player walk.

Historically, the Panthers have been god awful at realizing this. And historically the Panthers are a bad team. However if you look at other teams, keeping a healthy cap by making solid moves before forced by hand and then being able to sign the RIGHT players/pieces at will (Bills) are signs of a proper rebuild, and not being stuck.

Sometimes hard choices need to be made, you hate to see it, but you see it all over the NFL all the time. You can’t sign Chinn, Brown, and Burns…you just can’t. You need to consider timing.

However ideally the new coach and his vision/plan should big a huge factor, only problem is 5th year options and/or pissing a player off not paying them when you’re trying to figure things out and you risk letting them walk. Tag and trade is always an option but you then basically waste your tag and makes trade talks more difficult.

So yea, it’s not just about the player.

• Pie 1