• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Article

Jay Roosevelt

38 minutes ago, joemac said:

If Young was 6’4” 230 he’s be being talked about as the next true generational QB prospect. He’s that talented. The more I see of him the more I like.  He’s like the Steph Curry of QBs. Dude is money.

This is great stuff…I have absolutely compared him to Steph as a QB.  He is just a different dude regardless of size

Watch CJ Strouds highlights and it is pretty amazing how wide open his WRs are.  They are running free with no one even close to covering them

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Shocker said:

This is great stuff…I have absolutely compared him to Steph as a QB.  He is just a different dude regardless of size

Watch CJ Strouds highlights and it is pretty amazing how wide open his WRs are.  They are running free with no one even close to covering them

I’ve seen him thread the needle to, but notice he always hits them in stride. His receivers being open can’t be a negative toward him though? If they were open and he was missing them then sure. 

Look there are years of statistics that show being under 6'3 is a big disadvantage at QB. Can some players over come that? Sure but it's not a regular occurrence. Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield are perfect examples of that and both of them were capable of beating Tenn in college football. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’ve seen him thread the needle to, but notice he always hits them in stride. His receivers being open can’t be a negative toward him though? If they were open and he was missing them then sure. 

We are going to disagree…looking forward to the debate dog

SEC > Big 10

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

His size is possibly an issue, and it could be an issue for his entire career. His growing days are pretty much over. The internet gives a range of anywhere from 5'11/185 up to 6'/195. For comparative purposes, Murray is ranged at 5'10 and anywhere from 194 to 207. Mayfield is 6'1/209. Wilson is listed at 5'11/206. Brees was listed at 6'/209. Just for fun, Tarkenton was considered small at 6'/190. Flutie was 5'10/181.

So there is evidence that teams can win and be successful with undersized qbs, to limited effect. Wilson and Brees have won a Superbowl. Tarkenton is in the HOF. Maybe Flutie got a ring in his final years with the Pats? It's just that it seems to be a risk, and maybe it's a risk that you don't take at the top of the draft. Murray and Mayfield are the only names on that list that were taken very high, and they have had mixed success to this point.

I think it's a risk I am more comfortable to see some other team take if Young is in play that high in the draft.

Edited by UnluckyforSome

8 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

His size is possibly an issue, and it could be an issue for his entire career. His growing days are pretty much over. The internet gives a range of anywhere from 5'11/185 up to 6'/195. For comparative purposes, Murray is ranged at 5'10 and anywhere from 194 to 207. Mayfield is 6'1/209. Wilson is listed at 5'11/206. Brees was listed at 6'/209. Just for fun, Tarkenton was considered small at 6'/190. Flutie was 5'10/181.

So there is evidence that teams can win and be successful with undersized qbs, to limited effect. Wilson and Brees have won a Superbowl. Tarkenton is in the HOF. Maybe Flutie got a ring in his final years with the Pats? It's just that it seems to be a risk, and maybe it's a risk that you don't take at the top of the draft. Murray and Mayfield are the only names on that list that were taken very high, and they have had mixed success to this point.

I think it's a risk I am more comfortable to see some other team take if Young is in play that high in the draft.

Are you comfortable with another team taking a risk on a QB that has literally never been anything but mediocre?  Stroud vs Young is fine but Levis isn’t in this discussion IMO.  Levis is a wish compared to either

I am totally starting with Young as a #1 pick.  Something is seriously going to have to change my mind.  He has been elite since day 1 on campus

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

A whole lot of folks didn't want a QB last year because it was perceived as a rather poor class, and this years was supposed to be the bomb. NOW? There are only 2 QBs worth taking. I love this place.

Thanks Gerry…I would say there is 1 QB worth taking and he is undersized …by a few inches and 10 lbs

Edited by Shocker

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

Thanks Gerry…I would say there is 1 QB worth taking and he is undersized …by a few inches and 10 lbs

The kid is smooth, but that size!!!!! There is still plenty of football to be played. There will be a few of these kids who will be turning heads. Let's let this play out just a wee bit.

I was hoping Thorne at MSU would take another step up. But so far, that doesn't seem to be happening. 

20 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Are you comfortable with another team taking a risk on a QB that has literally never been anything but mediocre?  Stroud vs Young is fine but Levis isn’t in this discussion IMO.  Levis is a wish compared to either

I am totally starting with Young as a #1 pick.  Something is seriously going to have to change my mind.  He has been elite since day 1 on campus

It's a fair question. Ultimately some team will be willing to roll those dice and will take him towards the top, if not at the top of the draft. 

I think where we differ on opinion is maybe more where that draft position should be. I don't think it's wise to take someone that may ultimately be very disadvantaged by size limitations at the next level at such a premium spot in the draft. I tend to think that historically that opinion holds water, but every year there are sure-fire prospects that can't miss, and bust, as well as later round gems that make it. I'm glad I don't have to take on that burden of risk myself.

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

The kid is smooth, but that size!!!!! There is still plenty of football to be played. There will be a few of these kids who will be turning heads. Let's let this play out just a wee bit.

I was hoping Thorne at MSU would take another step up. But so far, that doesn't seem to be happening. 

Sure…I hear you.  Bryce Young is so…young lol.  He is crazy good as QB.  If he leads Bama to a championship it wouldn’t surprise me at all