• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corral our 2023 starter

Panthers Fan 69

6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

2 years is best case...... There is a decent shot at a quick 1 year fix too, given the young talent ignores dead cap. Hurts, Herbert, and rivers are ALL total different QBs and he STILL got their best years....thats a big deal to me. Honestly the only deal Id like to know, who are his top picks for coaching staff and strength coaches....panthers already got a few good ones here. Wilks if hes willing to move back to DBs, campey(dont know what is prefer, i bet its wide zone), tabor is the best ST since scotty o'brien, al could coach the LB(I doubt he stays). Just about everyone else has to go tho... especially those strength staff frauds...

I said we could be competitive next year just not ready for the playoffs and that weird Steelers guy got all pissy about it.  It will be pretty dependent on a rookie QB catching on pretty quickly which is why I'm thinking more of a 2 year process.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Yes, Guy Benjamin drafted 51st overall (2nd), Matt Cavanaugh 50th overall (2nd) and Steve Young drafted 1st overall (1st).

Perhaps I wasn't clear about what I was asking for as an example. Montana was a young backup who beat out other young backups Benjamin and Cavanaugh. While Young was drafted 1st overall, he didn't join the 49er's until 1987, long after Montana had established himself as not only a starter but a Pro Bowler. 

I don't think Montana's situation compared to these gentleman parallels what we would be looking at if Corral started over a hyped first round pick, likely a top 10 selection, next year. At the point that Montana won the starting job, Benjamin and Cavanaugh were known quantities to their coaching staffs, both having been drafted in 78, they were not hyped newcomers.

Montana was a mid round pick, but he took several years to earn the starting job and didn't get that job instead of a highly touted incoming prospect. That's the sort of example I was looking for, one which would more directly be comparable to Corral starting next year over a 1st round QB.

Also, in Montana's era, QB's very rarely started as rookies. The modern game, with QB's passing heavily in high school and often learning pro style offenses in college, tends to produce QB prospects less likely to need years of seasoning to adapt to the pro game.

Why are the some of the same people shitting on Rhule for tinkering with players to their detriment(TMJ, Bozeman, Baker), also ripping Corral for looking like ass in preseason?! He deserves to at least show what he can do after an offseason under an actual NFL coach to show whether he belongs in the NFL or not. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Perhaps I wasn't clear about what I was asking for as an example. Montana was a young backup who beat out other young backups Benjamin and Cavanaugh. While Young was drafted 1st overall, he didn't join the 49er's until 1987, long after Montana had established himself as not only a starter but a Pro Bowler. 

I don't think Montana's situation compared to these gentleman parallels what we would be looking at if Corral started over a hyped first round pick, likely a top 10 selection, next year. At the point that Montana won the starting job, Benjamin and Cavanaugh were known quantities to their coaching staffs, both having been drafted in 78, they were not hyped newcomers.

Montana was a mid round pick, but he took several years to earn the starting job and didn't get that job instead of a highly touted incoming prospect. That's the sort of example I was looking for, one which would more directly be comparable to Corral starting next year over a 1st round QB.

Also, in Montana's era, QB's very rarely started as rookies. The modern game, with QB's passing heavily in high school and often learning pro style offenses in college, tends to produce QB prospects less likely to need years of seasoning to adapt to the pro game.

Cavanaugh was a highly touted QB coming out of college and going to the NFL. He came with hype. More hype than the QBs from the 2022 draft.

Benjamin was Walsh's QB at Stanford before he became the 49ers coach.

Montana was the starting QB for the 49ers by week 6 of his second year in the NFL. It did not take several years for him to earn the starting role. Walsh saw 3 reps from Montana at a UCLA practice field while scouting another player going into the 79 draft. Montana was simply a throwing arm for another player that fate crossed with Walsh. He told everyone that Montana would be their franchise QB. Prior to seeing Montana's reps due to dumb luck, Walsh was eyeing Steve Dils, Cavanaugh and Benjamin.

Rookie QBs started all the time in their rookie year in Montana's era. Doug Williams, Phil Simms, Steve Fuller, Neil Lomax, Jim McMahon, Oliver Luck, Mike Pagel, John Elway, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason, Randall Cunningham, Jim Everett, Chuck Long, Jack Trudeau, Mark Rypien, Vinny Testaverde, Troy Aikman, Rodney Peete, Jeff George, and Neil O'Donnell were all rookie franchise QBs. 11 of them started in the SB from 1984 to 1995 (11 starting SB QBs of 15 starting SB QBs). Does this still seem "rare" to you?

College QBs are less likely to succeed like this in the modern era due to the drastic changes in the college game, and they tend to flame out in a few years with most success going to QBs not drafted in the 1st round.

33 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

PJ was better than Baker this whole time. I wonder who else was better than Baker this whole time too?

what makes you think that pj is better than baker? i'm not gonna die on the baker being a good qb hill but he's by far the best qb on the roster. pj has been in the system for 3 years and has had exactly one good game

2 minutes ago, TF330 said:

what makes you think that pj is better than baker? i'm not gonna die on the baker being a good qb hill but he's by far the best qb on the roster. pj has been in the system for 3 years and has had exactly one good game

You just did. He isn't the best QB on the roster, he's likely the worst, proven by his play and his inability to run this offense while PJ excelled.

PJ is processing faster, is more accurate, laterally shifts when hands are in his throwing lane, he lets defender's get drawn into the screen while he calmly dumps it over their heads.

You're just going to have to come to the conclusion we all have by watching him without the offense Cleveland built around him, it sticks out like a sore thumb, he's below average.

3 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

You just did. He isn't the best QB on the roster, he's likely the worst, proven by his play and his inability to run this offense while PJ excelled.

PJ is processing faster, is more accurate, laterally shifts when hands are in his throwing lane, he lets defender's get drawn into the screen while he calmly dumps it over their heads.

You're just going to have to come to the conclusion we all have by watching him without the offense Cleveland built around him, it sticks out like a sore thumb, he's below average.

yeah okay pal, I guess we forgot when he had a whopping 60 yards passing last week and completed what, 1 throw past the line of scrimmage or something like that? there's no point in arguing, clearly we don't have a solid qb on the roster but PJ walker would not be on this team if he didn't play for rhule in college and that's really the only point that matters

24 minutes ago, TF330 said:

yeah okay pal, I guess we forgot when he had a whopping 60 yards passing last week and completed what, 1 throw past the line of scrimmage or something like that? there's no point in arguing, clearly we don't have a solid qb on the roster but PJ walker would not be on this team if he didn't play for rhule in college and that's really the only point that matters

Hey, pal, has Baker had a game like this one PJ had? Playing all four quarters instead of stinking half the game? Baker is a bust if u didn't already know.

PJ deserves the start over Baker and your Baker love won't change the fact he's ass cheeks.

Edited by rippadonn

36 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Hey, pal, has Baker had a game like this one PJ had? Playing all four quarters instead of stinking half the game? Baker is a bust if u didn't already know.

PJ deserves the start over Baker and your Baker love won't change the fact he's ass cheeks.

Count me in Baker 2023!