• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What’s your 2023 QB big board (including Corral)

Wundrbread33

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, didn't people say pretty much the same thing about Fields?

I haven’t given up on Fields just yet (yes I am still quite the fanboy) and he landed in a terrible spot. Before Fields OSU had Haskins and who else as a first round QB bust? 

6 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Man I must have been watching the wrong game. He looked raw, somewhat goofy, and inaccurate. Perhaps I picked an off day. 

I look forward to watching more. Any particular games that stick out? 

which game did you watch?

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the ol miss game they lost. He played with a dislocated finger and still almost brought them back. If his WR lines up on the LOS correctly they win the game. He just put the ball in the right places. 

I also really enjoyed his game against Florida. You get a solid glimpse of him playing in a modern NFL offense, and how he reads the field based off of the "right throws" coming out of play action. there is a solid amount of situations put on display.. throwing on the run, deep middle, reading LBers, reading CBs leaving the flats, and sideline throws. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Man I must have been watching the wrong game. He looked raw, somewhat goofy, and inaccurate. Perhaps I picked an off day. 

I look forward to watching more. Any particular games that stick out? 

Big game against Tennessee this weekend.  You'll be able to see Hooker and Levis.  7:00 pm

• Beer 3

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I see the hip twist you're talking about. Makes it look easy...

(been trying to coach my grandson to use more hip motion to help his soccer kicks)

Pretty good sales job. I'm intrigued.

Took me a second...but this is one of my favorite throws. Most people be like "its just a check down"

But take a look at this (starting at the right timestamp with the link below), he reads the pressure, slides away from it... both of the defensive players have their hands on him and have taken his legs from him..... Levis relies on his arm and threads it between two defenders and turns into a 20+ yard gain. This type of small stuff can translate well in the NFL.  Especially if you have the arm talent.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Just go to the 4:57 mark and tell me if this kid aint legit

I tried to get behind Duggan, but it's really difficult for me. He is surrounded by excellent skills players there at TCU. They also run an air raid offense.. which college QBs look great in, but it doesnt translate well in the pros. Correct me if I am wrong... the only successful starting QB in the NFL that ran an air raid offense is patrick mahomes under Kingsbury....

Here is my knock on Duggan as a QB outside of the players around him and the system.

1. He telegraphs the poo out of his throws. Take a look at his throws, he unexplicitedely slaps the ball with his offhand moments before he throws it. This going hurt him during any scouting process.
2. He throws off one foot far too often for a QB. He appears to not trust his feet when throwing and tends to lean to one side and stand on one foot during his release.
3. TCU does what most schools do for their QBs, they liomit the field size. TCU focuses cutting the field in half on their play designs, and Duggan has benefitted from that.

4. Duggan has a long throwing motion, and it appears that he has to put a lot on the ball to go 20-30 yards. His release alone is going to deter scouts. 

Those are my pieces. Im sure there are reasons to root for the kid, but I have struggled to be convinced that he is the prospect to go get.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I haven’t given up on Fields just yet (yes I am still quite the fanboy) and he landed in a terrible spot. Before Fields OSU had Haskins and who else as a first round QB bust? 

Before Haskins, there was Cardale Jones, Terrelle Pryor and Troy Smith.

My worry with Fields now is that I think the Bears are going to try to use him primarily as a runner in the kind of offense we ran with Newton and the Falcons did with Vick.

(we did it better, but Newton was better than Vick anyway so ..)

The problem with that kind of attack is that it's not really sustainable for any kind of long-term. It also has an unfortunate tendency to shorten your quarterback's career.

I've seen Stroud play, I've seen Young play and I've seen Hooker play (Young and Hooker in that amazing Alabama-Tennessee game).

The others I've mainly only seen highlight tape of, or haven't seen at all.

Clearly I've got a lot of catching up to do since it's pretty much a given we're gonna be taking a quarterback this draft.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

lollers, not one of those guys were first round picks.  I am pretty sure they were are around round 4.  That is an absolute horrible way to scout Stroud.  You could literally do this same exercise to dozens of schools.

Do LSU, Do oregon  let me know how it goes

Edited by mrcompletely11

I don’t think Corral should be in anyones top 5 and I liked Corral coming out

Smarts/identifying coverages: Young

Playmaking ability: Young

Pure passing ability: Stroud 

Levis/Richardson both have superstar like tools. Will they put it all together is the gamble with them. I like both these guys more than Lance coming out. Mainly due to playing in the SEC and the jump for them won’t be as big. 

Then you got a guy like Hooker who is smart and athletic. Won’t ‘wow’ you with any one thing. Kind of like a Desmond Ridder imo.

Cam Ward and Jaren Hall are two others that are intriguing from a passing/athletic standpoint. 

It’s definitely an intriguing class. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

lollers, not one of those guys were first round picks.  I am pretty sure they were are around round 4.  That is an absolute horrible way to scout Stroud.  You could literally do this same exercise to dozens of schools.

Do LSU, Do oregon  let me know how it goes

I'm just talking about Buckeye quarterbacks. Those guys weren't taken in the first for a reason. I've seen the LSU and Oregon lists too.

Thing of it is, for as much as people decry "scouting helmets" there's usually a systemic reason things like that happen.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My worry with Fields now is that I think the Bears are going to try to use him primarily as a runner in the kind of offense we ran with Newton and the Falcons did with Vick.

(we did it better, but Newton was better than Vick anyway so ..)

The problem with that kind of attack is that it's not really sustainable for any kind of long-term. It also has an unfortunate tendency to shorten your quarterback's career.

Stroud is getting knocked because he is an OSU QB but he isn't the same type of QB that came before him.  He is more like the one that left OSU to go to LSU and won a championship.  Agree on Fields.....bears are going to run him into the ground now and he will be done in a year or so.  Fields needed to land on a different team to be successful long term.

1 minute ago, Carolina Disaster said:

Stroud is getting knocked because he is an OSU QB but he isn't the same type of QB that came before him.  He is more like the one that left OSU to go to LSU and won a championship.  Agree on Fields.....bears are going to run him into the ground now and he will be done in a year or so.  Fields needed to land on a different team to be successful long term.

Stroud may indeed be different, but it's also fair to point out that people said the same thing about Fields.

What's uppermost in my mind right now is who we get as a coach. The type of offense they want to run might have a significant effect on our choices.

• Pie 1