• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The turf debate

ladypanther

Turf’s been literally proven to cause more no-contact injuries, yet we still use it here and elsewhere to save some cash.  God forbid we make the players’ safety first priority over money; but living in this world we know where the priorities are.  Agree with Pete 100%.  

BRING BACK THE GRASS!!

I worked for Toro for almost ten years and was the guy responsible for coordinating the set up and delivery of all the big turf mowers and maintenance vehicles each year... The company STI was the official supplier...  Anyway....  I always took great pride in knowing those mowers were taking care of that field...  Now all they need is a vacuum I guess....

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, dave-o said:

I worked for Toro for almost ten years and was the guy responsible for coordinating the set up and delivery of all the big turf mowers and maintenance vehicles each year... The company STI was the official supplier...  Anyway....  I always took great pride in knowing those mowers were taking care of that field...  Now all they need is a vacuum I guess....

And when you find a guy that takes extreme pride in turf management, it shows. I do turf maintenance and lawns are cut with a 45 degree directional change weekly and I'm fanatical about the stripes, watering, fertilization, etc. If you set it up right and train the lawn correctly, maintenance is pretty damn straight forward and even high traffic turf can take one hell of a beating and bounce right back. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And when you find a guy that takes extreme pride in turf management, it shows. I do turf maintenance and lawns are cut with a 45 degree directional change weekly and I'm fanatical about the stripes, watering, fertilization, etc. If you set it up right and train the lawn correctly, maintenance is pretty damn straight forward and even high traffic turf can take one hell of a beating and bounce right back. 

Dont get me started.... I love it !!!  Striping Rye grass was my favorite when I was more in the golf maintenance before working with Toro...  

29 minutes ago, dave-o said:

Dont get me started.... I love it !!!  Striping Rye grass was my favorite when I was more in the golf maintenance before working with Toro...  

One of the coolest I ever did before drones was a large scale waving flag on a 1 acre flat lot for 4th of July. I couldn't get a pic of it from the air but it was pretty bad ass. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

To try and get it changed...

Bad wording but my point was if it was all grass they could stop revisiting the issue and spend time on other things.  

There is no need to keep revisiting the subject, change it all to grass. Turf is made to resemble grass and the natural feeling of ground below it as closely as possible…which clearly means grass is better.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1