• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The turf debate

ladypanther

From a business and a taxpayer perspective, I think the artificial turf absolutely makes sense, especially given our current stadium and its footprint. As a football(both kinds) fan, I want what's safest for the players, and if that's natural grass, then that's what they should have. Several of the newer stadiums like the Cardinals' and Raiders' stadiums have the moveable tray grass turf. That'd be great for BofA except for the small detail of having nowhere outside of the stadium to put it currently. I would imagine that during the assessment of the current structure and the cost estimations for upfitting/upgrades, they would have at least figured out what it would take financially and structurally to install a rollout field. It might not be structurally possible to refit the current stadium.  

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

You can't use Bermuda in the north.

You can, but it’s probably not a very good idea unless u really rich and can maintain it. Places like Minnesota, Iowa, Boston etc. 

NC is the part of the country where both types of lawns are acceptable but you probably have more homeowners with tall fescue than other type of turf. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Fields can be heated and drains installed underneath real turf. There's ways to do it but it's obviously a lot of maintenance and it's pricy. 

Yeah turf management is no joke if you really get in to it - ask any homeowner who does yard work as a hobby. Synthetic makes a lot of sense from pretty much every way you look at it except for player safety. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Charlotte isn't really the north.  According to that article I found KC, Baltimore, Washington, and Tennessee all have Bermuda grass fields.  Surprising to me.

I wouldn’t use Bermuda as a homeowner in the north. Golf course, sports fields, etc places with the resources the maintain it and work on it is ok. A place like a professional football field with millions of dollars to keep an eye on it and engineer a system to help with it is a good example. 

but if you some dad living in Cleveland or Minnesota, you probably an idiot to use Bermuda or southern grass for your house. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1