• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Moore should not have been penalized for helmet removal

Zod

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Goes to show the only two times it was called that way when they weren’t on the field of play was against the Panthers…

You have nothing to support such a conclusion, and if you do then it would be interesting to see. 

31 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I just don't have any sympathy here. He was in the process of taking it off in the end zone as soon as he stood up in the end zone and it came off in the white; if he's a yard closer to the goal line this is all a moot point since it would have been entirely in the end zone. Gotta be more disciplined than that, and I'm confident he and the team will (not so sure about the NFL though). 

It's not lost on me that the kicker missed a field goal earlier and should have made the kick anyway. This isn't on DJ exclusively by any means, and I daresay that the penalty was even fairly minor. An NFL kicker should make at least one of those two.

He didn’t even touch his helmet until he was fully in the white out of bounds area. I don’t understand what’s so hard for people to grasp here. Yea, he should not show any joy or emotion after presumably winning the game for us, I get that. But his momentary lapse in judgement should not have cost us the game because it wasn’t against the rules. 

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

every call should be challengeable. every call should have a booth review.

none of these clowns in the stripes on the field should be trusted...ever.

I agree.  Think Belichick has lobbied for that.  You get 3 challenges and anything is fair game. 

• Pie 2

Just now, KSpan said:

You have nothing to support such a conclusion, and if you do then it would be interesting to see. 

I didn’t mean to imply the only two times in history, just the only two times mentioned here (or that I can recall) were against the Panthers. I’ve never seen that penalty called against a player that wasn’t in the field of play other than DJ and Cam (assuming the previous poster is correct and Cam was out of bounds when he took his helmet off)

I looked up a video and Cam was definitely out of bounds, but the article also implied it was for taunting rather than taking the helmet off. I couldn’t find video of the ref explaining the penalty (I suppose I could get on game pass and see it, I might later) so I don’t know if the helmet was mentioned. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Screenshot_20221031_075208.jpg

Moving the extra points back ended up costing the game. Good job, refs. 

Well there's also the part of the rule that says excessive. 

So helmet off almost in the stands then back on the field of play. 

I've seen worse calls for Celebration.

He should have never done it. 

We don't have to like the call. The flag probably should have stayed in it's pocket but DJ shouldn't have put us in that position. Don't give the refs a chance to throw the flag.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

Well there's also the part of the rule that says excessive. 

So helmet off almost in the stands then back on the field of play. 

I've seen worse calls for Celebration.

He should have never done it. 

We don't have to like the call. The flag probably should have stayed in it's pocket but DJ shouldn't have put us in that position. Don't give the refs a chance to throw the flag.

Yea the part that mentions excessive also specifies “two or more players”, this is talking about the rehearsed celebrations.  Not a solo player taking his helmet off out of the field of play and jumping in the stands. How many times would the Packers have been flagged for this if the Lambeau Leap was a penalty?

10 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

He didn’t even touch his helmet until he was fully in the white out of bounds area. I don’t understand what’s so hard for people to grasp here. Yea, he should not show any joy or emotion after presumably winning the game for us, I get that. But his momentary lapse in judgement should not have cost us the game because it wasn’t against the rules. 

Some leagues (not saying NFL technically)

Define field of play as any area not within the coaches box of your sideline.

We have seen unsportsmanlike thrown for players running down the sideline to celebrate a teammates touchdown in the NFL during a playoff game

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea the part that mentions excessive also specifies “two or more players”, this is talking about the rehearsed celebrations.  Not a solo player taking his helmet off out of the field of play and jumping in the stands. How many times would the Packers have been flagged for this if the Lambeau Leap was a penalty?

Never seen them take the helmet off for the Lambeau leap

McAulay is arguably one of the most respected refs of all time aside Mike Carey so I'll agree with his take.  Freaking sucks.  

Buut DJ is fine, he'll move on but I just hate how inconsistent the refs are crew to crew.  It's as if their own styles of calling are, in a way, their own rule books in themselves.

The Redskins just had Terry or someone remove their helmets after their big play on the field.  Just no consistency.  I can handle missed or phantom holds mid-game, but these game changing calls with no week-to-week or crew-to-crew consistency really weigh the league down.  

These refs need to be trained to let guys duke it out on critical drives, get less flag-sensitive unless it's obvious.  And to always rule in favor of TOs, TDs, tight catches and big plays so New York/the booth can quickly review.  Still don't get why these guys don't do this as much as they can. 

Kicking this year though is the real kicker. We still had the chance to win from 32 out.  JEEEZ.

Are a super improbable make and miss away from 4-4.  But this game wouldn't of been close with Rhule as our coach, and he wouldn't have been fired if we won the Browns game...so it's all a wash.  

Bengals up.

• Pie 2