• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad does PJ need to play to be removed as starter?

AlphabetsEnd

Just now, Manna said:

Based on the sample size we've seen from our current QB room sans Corral, there would be minimal difference PJ, Sam, or Baker starting. 

I don't agree based on far too much study of the game film of Mayfield and PJ this season and some of Darnold last season. 

I still say, and have said all year, the biggest problem is McAdoo, but we've seen enough of PJ being PJ now in McAdoo's system that we can see it's his natural tendency to make bad decisions. 

PJ has been figured out. Atlanta was jumping his throws but just didn’t finish the plays. 

I’m confused too and agree that if you want to tank, let him throw away games. If you want to win, run a heavy ground attack with another QB would would make marginally better decisions with the ball than what we are seeing with PJ. 

It just doesn’t make sense. 

Slightly more production from the passing game, and we win last nights game by 2-3 TD’s 

Edited by Wundrbread33
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Sam and Baker each got 4 years to develop, PJ had 1 start in each of the last 2 years and now has 5. It looks like he's gonna be stuck with the same dangerous throws but it's been worth giving him a few games in a row to see if he can pull it together. We already know Baker and Sam aren't it and won't be back next year unless it's for like $2-5M

It has not been worth it. PJs play in the first Atlanta game cost the game. His play yesterday should have cost the second game if not for 3 dropped interceptions. He took the team entirely out of the Rams and Bengals game, and has been bolstered by Foreman's change in use. 

Mayfield's development has been amongst the worst amongst active QBs in the modern era, having gone through more coaches and OCs than the number of years he's been in the league, as well, as being injured for an entire year and late arrival into the Carolina

Darnold's development in NY was a tirefire of being thrown in under Gase and then two OCs under Rhule in Carolina. Who knows who Darnold is? 

PJ, while not getting first team reps, has been allowed to develop on the same team over a number of seasons, which neither Darnold or Mayfield have been able to do for this season. 

As a further counterpoint, PJ is the only non-injured QB on this team that had a full off-season to integrate the playbook and had prior experience with the receiver group. 

But none of that matters - PJ has now been given a longer leash than Mayfield even, despite Mayfield having a proven track record of success elsewhere, and playing in worse conditions in game 1-5 against tougher opponents- so we've seen what PJ is, and it's the same thing as 2021.

He's a good backup, and a great story, but the fact he was not benched in the first Atlanta game is insane for a player who has never show they can sustain success. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdaddy8523 said:

So that Timothy Bailey guy has a real Blue check? Hell I was going back and forth with him on Twitter all last night about leaving Baker's ass on the bench to get that 4th Rounder.

I don't know if Blue checks matter anymore, but i know he was a  journalist from Cleveland days, before the sex predator was traded for. He's an Oklahoma guy, who I'm always leery of, but I've yet to see him throw up fake or misused stats, unlike David Newton for example, so I still at least read what he says. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdaddy8523 said:

So that Timothy Bailey guy has a real Blue check? Hell I was going back and forth with him on Twitter all last night about leaving Baker's ass on the bench to get that 4th Rounder.

No he just did the Elon Musk thing and paid $8 a month for a blue check lol. That's gonna be a whole nightmare of misinformation once we get into free agency and draft if Twitter still exists by then. 

35 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

I presume you mean this as a joke because of his helmet/head display post-game. 

For what it's worth, he was doing this during the preseason in training camp. 

At this point being constantly concussed is about as reasonable of an excuse as I can come up with for some of his stinkers.

7 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

PJ has been figured out. Atlanta was jumping his throws but just didn’t finish the plays. 

I’m confused too and agree that if you want to tank, let him throw away games. If you want to win, run a heavy ground attack with another QB would would make marginally better decisions with the ball than what we are seeing with PJ. 

It just doesn’t make sense. 

Slightly more production from the passing game, and we win last nights game by 2-3 TD’s 

That's what's driving me crazy about this (aside from the fact I don't think tanking works (see 30 years as a former Brown's fan). It seems like Wilks is trying to win, or maybe he's tanking, or maybe he can't decide, but it seems like he's not doing either right. 

• Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

At this point being constantly concussed is about as reasonable of an excuse as I can come up with for some of his stinkers.

Lol.

I think a more reasonable reason assessment, based on the game film, is that drive killing dropped passes, and untimely sacks, poorly run routes, bad scheme, questionable playcalling, superior defenses, no Bozeman or TMJ, no Foreman, shortened off season, and Matt fugging Rhule are more likely reasons. But hey, people like blaming QBs, especially a headbutting jackass like Mayfield. 

• Flames 1

They all stink but I believe PJ is the most respected in the locker room and also has the memory of a goldfish after making a bad play.  He also never really panics.  He makes bad decisions, but he's never Mr. Happy Feet like Sam and Baker.

Baker and Sam won't be on the team next year unless they're playing for close to the minimum.  Even then I wouldn't bank on it.  I don't think the locker room is behind either of them.

• Pie 1