• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Respect to Rivera

WarPanthers89

7 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Lol I like how I mentioned football aside and showed a touching video about his emotions just two weeks after his mother passing and people are hating on no back to back winning seasons.

Perspective.

Many folks lack it.

Also the number who won't watch the video and won't read anything more than thread title and first sentence of your post or so is north of half. 

They are kneejerking to a very limited pre conceived notion of what your post says. They didn't actually read it or watch the video.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I call BS.

Choosing a QB is always a risky gamble.  College doesn't always translate to the pros. 

The questions is, what did we need and what was available. 

We clearly needed a QB and no one mocked Gabbert to us.   Cam Newton was the Heisman Trophy winner who carried Auburn on his back to the national championship.  The next QB (Gabbert) wasn't taken until 8.  Nobody traded up for Gabbert.   ESPN, SI, BR, SBNation, Walter all mocked Cam to us. 

Folks weren’t mocking Cam to us either at first.  It was a DT as the consensus #1.  Cam wasn’t even being mocked into the top 10 at first by most.  Once our intentions became known they moved Cam up in mocks because it became common knowledge we were going with the unsafe/high reward route. 

Cam wasn’t a Luck or Trevor coming out.  Calling it obvious it is just hindsight of a gamble that worked out.  It was a bold move by Carolina. 

Cam also had drama.  College scandal.  Zone read runner.   He wasn’t a safe easy pick for the #1 overall pick.  That’s revisionist history to remove any credit from Ron could have 

RR had bill biellacheats number and always good for 1 or 2 surprise wins.

His time here is just like a non-messy divorce or when a long friendship runs its course. It was time and dont want him back, each side is better without the other. Fine as a neighbor, but not as a HC.

Huddlers are too much prisoners of the right now.....big pic peeps....

• Pie 2

Just now, CRA said:

No one mocked Cam to us either at first.  Cam wasn’t even being mocked into the top 10 at first.  Once our intentions became known they moved Cam up because tut became common knowledge we were going with the unsafe/high reward route. 

Cam wasn’t a Luck or Trevor coming out.  Calling it obvious it is just hindsight of a gamble that worked out. 

Who cares WHEN they mocked us?  The fact is we desperately needed a QB and we weren't going to choose Locker or Gabbert over Cam.  Most mocks had them outside the top 5.    Some had Locker taken at 25.

As for Luck, Cam beat Luck for the Heisman, winning the vote nearly 10-1.

As I said, QB is always a gamble, but the separation between the Heisman winning national Champion and Gabbert or Locker was apparent in the reviews, the mocks and then the actual draft.

No one was saying we should have drafted Locker.

This notion that RR was some kind of draft genius is just intimate fluffing. 

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

Who cares WHEN they mocked us?  The fact is we desperately needed a QB and we weren't going to choose Locker or Gabbert over Cam.  Most mocks had them outside the top 5.    Some had Locker taken at 25.

As for Luck, Cam beat Luck for the Heisman, winning the vote nearly 10-1.

As I said, QB is always a gamble, but the separation between the Heisman winning national Champion and Gabbert or Locker was apparent in the reviews, the mocks and then the actual draft.

No one was saying we should have drafted Locker.

This notion that RR was some kind of draft genius is just intimate fluffing. 

Again, you called it a no brainer pick for Ron.  Newton wasn’t viewed like that coming out.  

Cam Newton was viewed as a risky gamble.  

so yeah, it’s relevant that folks didn’t view him as the #1 overall guy until they simply knew we were going to make it so. 

saying QB is always a gamble doesn’t mean Cam and Luck/Trevor were viewed as comparable risks. 

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

Again, you called it a no brainer pick for Ron.  Newton wasn’t viewed like that coming out.  

Cam Newton was viewed as a risky gamble.  

so yeah, it’s relevant that folks didn’t view him as the #1 overall guy until they simply knew we were going to make it so. 

saying QB is always a gamble doesn’t mean Cam and Luck/Trevor were viewed as comparable risks. 

Again, choosing Cam over Locker and Gabbert was a no brainer.  Nobody rated Locker or Gabbert higher.  We're not comparing Cam to Luck because Luck wasn't in that draft (even though Cam trounced Luck in the heisman trophy race that year.)

You have to compare Cam to Locker and Gabbert and nobody mocked Locker or Gabbert even close to Cam. 

Edited by poundaway

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Again, choosing Cam over Locker and Gabbert was a no brainer.  Nobody rated Locker or Gabbert higher.  We're not comparing Cam to Luck because Luck wasn't in that draft (even though Cam trounced Luck in the heisman trophy race that year.)

You have to compare Cam to Locker and Gabbert and nobody mocked Locker or Gabbert even close to Cam. 

I mean that is revisionist history and just acknowledging mocks after people knew what Carolina thought of Cam.   

And a #1 overall pick isn’t just a QB discussion.  Especially in a draft without no brainer QB.  Which that draft didn’t have.  It’s why most had the highest rated player in that draft a DT. 

Ron gambled on Cam and hit a homerun.  Calling it a no brainer that anyone could of made is about on par with your mental gymnastics of claiming Ben McAdoo would be good here or Rhule deserved a 3rd season 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

I mean that is revisionist history and just acknowledging mocks after people knew what Carolina thought of Cam.   

And a #1 overall pick isn’t just a QB discussion.  Especially in a draft without no brainer QB.  Which that draft didn’t have.  It’s why most had the highest rated player in that draft a DT. 

Ron gambled on Cam and hit a homerun.  Calling it a no brainer that anyone could of made is about on par with your mental gymnastics of claiming Ben McAdoo would be good here or Rhule deserved a 3rd season 

We never were taking a DT at 1.  Cam was the pick as soon as he won the heisman.  I can't believe you think we were considering another year of Clausen. 

Saying that we should have taken Dareus  is like saying Rhule is going start Sam to save face. 

Capturasde.JPG.602a85c7332f8c29060087eda7fba956.JPG

16 minutes ago, poundaway said:

We never were taking a DT at 1.  Cam was the pick as soon as he won the heisman.  I can't believe you think we were considering another year of Clausen. 

Saying that we should have taken Dareus  is like saying Rhule is going start Sam to save face. 

I didn’t lmao

I was on the Cam Newton bandwagon with @panthers55 very early on.  Cam Newton wasn’t actually a super popular pick early on around here.   He was deemed too risky by the masses early on.   It took awhile for Cam Newton pick to catch on around here.  

I applied the same logic as to why we should of drafted Fields.   One positive of not drafting Fields is your boy Rhule likely  would still be employed here if we did 

Luke also wasn’t a super popular pick early on around these parts either.  

• Beer 2

Ron pissed some people off, for good reason. If they want to call him out for being a company cuck or dullard then let them. 

He parlayed playing for the Ditka Bears into a DC job eventually, that he was very good at. 
He parlayed that into two HC jobs, hired by dysfunctional franchises, mostly because he is a hell of a babysitter for spoiled immature man children. And that he looks like a badass, rather than a cuck. 
Good for him. 

Very sorry about his mother, of course.