• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Graziano: Panthers interested in Frank Reich

TheSpecialJuan

Gotta love Frank Reich #14 Carolina's 1st QB.  But that's it.

Frank went to Indy and brought Wentz with him, Wentz Bombed.  Then he brings Matty Ice, and he benches him and gets fired.

Please for the love of God get off the retreads.  We did it with QB, do we have to do it with HC?  Hell, if that's the case, let's double dip.  Former NFL and College HC Chip Kelly.  

32 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Frank went to Indy and brought Wentz with him, Wentz Bombed.  Then he brings Matty Ice, and he benches him and gets fired.

Please for the love of God get off the retreads.  We did it with QB, do we have to do it with HC?  Hell, if that's the case, let's double dip.  Former NFL and College HC Chip Kelly.  

He was told he HAD to bench Ryan so they could look at Ehlinger who was terrible. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2022/10/25/23422203/indianapolis-colts-sam-ehlinger-matt-ryan-scrambling

• Beer 2

43 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

He shits all over Wilks as a HC 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

He definitely said it. I’ll even tag in @Mr. Scot here because we discussed it in a thread during that time. 

8 hours ago, onmyown said:

Definitely weird since Mr.S was so adamant he would never do such a thing when I brought it up. 

He did indeed mention it as an option in his presser, though the response was somewhat garbled so it was hard to make out exactly what he said 

To be clear though, never mentioned any changes or potential changes at GM.

• Pie 1

So with thanks to @CashNewton22, here's the section of the article that pertains to us.

Graziano: I'd like to stop here for a second and talk about Payton, because I think just about every team with an opening will want to talk to him. Carolina, for example, would probably love a chance to throw a pile of money at Payton. But my sense is that he'll be picky and will look for a spot where the QB situation is solid, first and foremost. That's why I think a lot of people are connecting him with a potential Chargers opening. People would line up to coach Justin Herbert if that job came open. If not there, I've been told to watch Arizona as a potential Payton destination (again, assuming there's an opening there). And your point is well taken about the fact that an interested team would actually have to give the Saints some compensation in return for Payton, since he's still under contract with New Orleans. Makes me think it's even less likely that NFC South rival Carolina would have a chance.

As for "retreads," don't rule out the recently fired Frank Reich as a coach teams will want to talk to. Whether Reich wants to jump back in is a fair question, but I'd be surprised if, say, Carolina didn't at least want to have a chat.

On the assistants front, Denver defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero is a candidate of interest to multiple teams -- including, potentially, Denver, if it moves on from Hackett and doesn't turn to someone like Dan Quinn. Offensive coordinators Ben Johnson in Detroit, Ken Dorsey in Buffalo and Brian Callahan in Cincinnati are also on teams' lists.

Fowler: For sure, teams are always intrigued by young offensive minds with leadership qualities, and from what I've heard all three of those OCs would fit that mold. I believe the Panthers will interview many of the hot offensive names, looking for someone who can cure that side of the ball. From first-year OCs with upside such as Johnson and Dorsey, to seasoned playcallers such as Reich, the Panthers will do their research. Dallas' Kellen Moore should be a fixture yet again, and teams could look into Seattle OC Shane Waldron and Miami OC Frank Smith for the work they've done with Geno Smith and Tua Tagovailoa. Giants OC Mike Kafka ... not many have done more with less. He has earned himself a place on the circuit. Minnesota OC Wes Phillips has pedigree (Wade's son) and has helped the Vikings to an 8-2 start. Scott Turner has done a nice job getting Washington back on track with Taylor Heinicke at QB. And even though the Jets' offense is struggling, New York OC Mike LaFleur could gain traction eventually (after all, the other Kyle Shanahan disciples -- Mike McDaniel, Robert Saleh -- have had great success as head coaches).

Takeaways:

First off, this article is heavily speculative. There aren't many specific connections from inside sources or anything like that.

Their conclusions regarding Peyton and the Panthers though are fairly solid. Basically it breaks down to 1) we might want him 2) he probably doesn't want us and 3) even if he did, the Saints wouldn't let us have him anyway. So if you haven't already put that thought out of your mind, you probably should.

As far as coaches they do connect with Carolina, Frank Reich is one of them. The only others they mention specifically in that context are Ken Dorsey and Ben Johnson, but they hint that we may look at several other young offensive mind types.

Also to be clear, the list of guys they give from Shane Waldron down to Mike LaFleur is not specifically related to the Panthers. It's just a group of guys they think will get general consideration.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We don't need a retread head coach that just got fired.

Good thing the Patriots didn't have that same attitude in 2000 about hiring retreads.  Remember, Belichick got axed by Cleveland...C-L-E-V-E-L-A-N-D.  Granted, Bill took a DC stint between those two jobs, but he was still a retread when he went to the Patriots.  Lots of examples of successful retreads.  The trick is finding the right one.  Conversely, TONS of example of first time HCs busting.

• Pie 2

13 hours ago, Tbe said:

No Shane Steichen?

In context, that group isn't actually specific to the Panthers.

As far as Steichen, he's actually one of the first names mentioned. And on his own rather than as part of an list.

As far as ascending talents, Philly might be a good place to start. The Eagles' offense has only improved under coordinator Shane Steichen's watch. And defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon impressed in the interview cycle last year (including with Houston, which we mentioned above), and his defense sits at No. 2 in yardage allowed, right under the 49ers and coordinator Demeco Ryans, who will definitely be a hot name. When I talk to teams, they mention Philadelphia as a place that should get many interview request slips for their coordinators.

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’d prefer other options as well, but I have nothing against him.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In fairness, lots of very successful NFL coaches were once retreads. It's not always the KOD.

Here is my reason.

Reich was successful with Wentz in Philly and bringing him to Indy was supposed to put them in the upper echelon of the league.  That move failed.  Bringing Ryan in was supposed to make them better than Wentz and they have struggled below .500.

I just think we can do better if we are going to go offense let's get someone who runs a good offense like Philly, Buffalo or KC.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Here is my reason.

Reich was successful with Wentz in Philly and bringing him to Indy was supposed to put them in the upper echelon of the league.  That move failed.  Bringing Ryan in was supposed to make them better than Wentz and they have struggled below .500.

I just think we can do better if we are going to go offense let's get someone who runs a good offense like Philly, Buffalo or KC.

Reich ran a Super Bowl winning offense with Nick Foles in Philly.

As far as Wentz, he was broken and trading for him was a mistake. Pretty much the same story with Ryan, and yhe decision to trade for him wasn't made by Reich.

• Pie 1