• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Apple pulls out. So does Disney/ESPN

PanthersATL

On 12/18/2022 at 12:43 AM, MechaZain said:

Maybe it's just Apple but trying to Airplay off of the free sites is a pain

Its not just Apple.  Its annoying how companies try to control things thru software.  I have my car set up to be able to stream anything that is on my phone...it mirrors my phone screen.  But I can't do it with certain "services."  NFL Sunday Ticket is one of them.  As soon as I try to mirror to my vehicle, it tells me I am not allowed.  So to watch games on a road trip I either have to watch it on my phone or only watch the local broadcast games thru another service.

Using my iPad was the same thing years ago.  I could watch Sunday Ticket on my iPad or my TV.  But if I tried to cast my iPad to my TV it would tell me that it wasn't allowed.  NFL's replay package did the same thing.  I would want to go from watching the All 22 cam on my iPad to my TV and it would tell me its not allowed.

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

Its not just Apple.  Its annoying how companies try to control things thru software.  I have my car set up to be able to stream anything that is on my phone...it mirrors my phone screen.  But I can't do it with certain "services." 

Again, don't blame the software - they're just doing what the streaming contracts allow.  Some streaming services request that mirroring not be allowed primarily for copyright reasons.

A bad example: streaming from a personal phone subscription to a TV displayed in a public performance space like a bar.  (and because there's no way to differentiate use cases, all mirroring has to be disabled)

Edited by PanthersATL

1 hour ago, PanthersATL said:

Again, don't blame the software - they're just doing what the streaming contracts allow.  Some streaming services request that mirroring not be allowed primarily for copyright reasons.

A bad example: streaming from a personal phone subscription to a TV displayed in a public performance space like a bar.  (and because there's no way to differentiate use cases, all mirroring has to be disabled)

Dude, we are saying the same thing.

Here is another one where I would blame "the software," but I am talking about the people behind it.  Years ago in my truck I could stream youtube by simply plugging in my phone and clicking a few buttons.  Suddenly there was a series of updates that didn't allow that anymore.  Same truck.  Same phone.  Same hookup method.  They just "updated" it so people like me couldn't stream music thru youtube in their vehicles.  And I'm sure there were some other goodies that came with the updates as well. 

Yes, I "get it."  You aren't saying anything that I haven't already thought about.  But I can still talk about them and make fun of them.  I can also call them stupid.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Years ago in my truck I could stream youtube by simply plugging in my phone and clicking a few buttons. 

I was going to reply, "i listen to YouTube/YouTube Music via my phone in the car all the time, what are you talking about".

Until I remembered that I'm not plugging into a USB port, but using an audio aux input instead.  Benefits of driving an older vehicle, I guess.

We should know more later today (if rumor mills are accurate).

One of two scenarios will be in play:

1)  Google would make Sunday Ticket available in the Youtube TV plan, but would charge a premium for the out-of-market games (just like DirecTV does), which could be in the $300/season range.  YouTube TV currently costs $65/month for the base package.

2) Google could offer Sunday Ticket as a subscription via YouTube

=-=-

If #2 is in play, then there's no reason to offer #1 *unless* there's a season discount for YouTube TV subscribers vs non-subscribers

#1 would be of most benefit to expand the YoutubeTV customer base, but at the risk of annoying potential subscribers who just want to watch their team

#2 would offer the widest possible option for subscribers, and therefore more money for the NFL 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:55 PM, onmyown said:

Welp guess I’ll keep streaming on questionable sites since the nfl clearly doesn’t want my money by first punishing me for where I live and secondly wanting me to pay more for a ‘package’ and though not mentioned, prolly a dumb contract too.

I think they underestimate how many fans they alienate and money they miss out on. But that’s what happens when 70 year olds are likely calling the shots. Hell they might even just keep it status quo on a fuging outdated satellite in 2023 lol

How many fans are they alienating, exactly? The NFL is worth more than it has ever been? Hell, their commercials have Tampax as "The Official Tampon of the NFL" (joking). 

well fug...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35304457/nfl-sunday-ticket-headed-youtube-2023-season

The NFL announced a multiyear agreement on Thursday for Google to distribute the league's "Sunday Ticket" package of out-of-market Sunday afternoon games on YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels.

The NFL was seeking $2.5 billion per season for the package, which has been on DirecTV since 1994. The satellite provider has paid $1.5 billion per year on an eight-year contract that expires at the end of this season.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said during an interview with CNBC over the summer that the next move for "Sunday Ticket" would be to a streaming service because that would be the best option for fans.