• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. He's running an offense that basically heavily de-emphasizes the QB position. 43 runs vs. 22 passes. Darnold has thrown less than 25 pass attempts in each of his starts in the post-Rhule era. He's doing a good job managing the game with what he's asked to do but the game plan revolves around asking him to do little.

To be fair, it’s not like he has more than one decent receiver either 

better teams have 3 plus a TE

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Rags said:

I really, really would love for you to elaborate on how we're playing with training wheels. Be it Sam Darnold or Matt Corral we're a run team. i fail to see how having Sam play in structure and hoping he continues to trend upwards is a bad thing. So maybe you're seeing something I'm not. 

Like this is coming from a guy who was on the tank train as much as you, but that train missed its stop. So we have to start looking on what we have and how we can get better at that, not bemoaning our situation.

We are completely de-emphasizing the pass game. Darnold is throwing the ball less than 25 times per game in the post-Rhule era. We're running a 1970s offense. Most of the passes that we do make are behind or near the LOS with a few longer shots sprinkled in. You can't beat playoff teams with this type of offense.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, hepcat said:

This is true but Darnold has improved on not making crippling mistakes. 

That's the impact of the training wheels. We aren't putting him in situations where he's being asked to carry the offense or make elaborate reads. Our passing game is super basic right now. It will only work when paired with a dominant running game.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's the impact of the training wheels. We aren't putting him in situations where he's being asked to carry the offense or make elaborate reads. Our passing game is super basic right now. It will only work when paired with a dominant running game.

Again isn’t that part of developing him.. Build up his confidence before you put the team on his back..

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Probably his best game as a pro, or at least since his rookie year. He looked very different this game, both taking good scrambles but also finding deep targets. It is possible McAdoo is developing him, but he's ALWAYS been streaky.  Even compared to his good games last year, he was much better this game, but remember that didn't last last year either.  he'll need to be able to do this when our rushing game doesn't spot him 7.

He looks composed af - e.g. the little point to the sideline after the huge Moore pass, acknowledging that someone either called a great play or gave him a tip on what to look out for on the play call. 

In previous years he's always looked nervous when on the field.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It’s funny how the crowd that insisted Darnold would implode into turning the ball over every snap is now moving the goal posts because it hasn’t happened.

Is he a good starting QB?  No of course not.  But some of y’all are absurdly negative to the point I worry about your mental health.

We're Panthers fans who have been watching the Tepper era. The worst case scenario here is for Tepper to think he's having his breakthrough here and that he has it all figured out and it's all starting to click. In terms of the Panthers future this is very much a danger zone.

Mental health? 😂

Nah, I stopped being emotionally invested in this team quite awhile ago. If you're still emotionally invested in this team you probably do have mental health issues.

If we were running a modern NFL offense Darnold probably would be turning it over in droves. There's a reason why they're hellbent on keeping him under 25 attempts per game and basically just throwing the ball enough to keep the D honest so they can run the ball.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We are completely de-emphasizing the pass game. Darnold is throwing the ball less than 25 times per game in the post-Rhule era. We're running a 1970s offense. Most of the passes that we do make are behind or near the LOS with a few longer shots sprinkled in. You can't beat playoff teams with this type of offense.

I really don’t mind the run heavy offense if you have the people to make it work. It takes time off the clock and gives our defense time to rest unlike at the start of this season. As much of a liability as our pass defense is We need to control time of possession. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a 5th year QB who still requires training wheels to make an offense work. If you want to call that developing, go for it. I mean, I guess it is. He's developing into a career backup. Because this is how you want a backup QB to operate.

If you're asking your QB to pass more when you're running for over 300 yards then you're a moronic OC.

Since coming off IR Darnold has done everything asked of him to a high level.

I genuinely don't know what more some fans want - the bar is, apparently 'subterranean' for him... so maybe enjoy the fact that he's thrown for 800 yards and scored 6 TDs without a single turnover in the last 4 games, eh? Or does the hatred for him run so deep that certain fans can't even be pleasantly surprised at his ability to manage games and play within the confines of the system?

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

I think of Sam can get that dog in him, he would turn a corner towards being a legit top QB. He’s such a laid back guy most of the time. He needs that f you, pay me attitude. lol!

Absolutely not - he needs to remain calm in the pocket. The gunslinger attitude is part of the reason why he was throwing so many INTs.

• Beer 1