• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason LaCanfora: Panthers potential landing spot for Raiders QB Derek Carr

TheSpecialJuan

4 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

Carr is on the wrong side of 30 and could be on the decline because In 2022, he completed 60.8% of his passes for 3,522 yards with 24 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

His completion rate is his worse since his rookie season and a steep drop from his 68.4% rate in 2021.

His 14 interceptions are the most in the league through Week 16. He threw three interceptions in the 13-10 loss to the Steelers that all but eliminated them from the postseason.

Lets leave out that the Raiders are completely terrible from top to bottom outside of 1 WR and maybe Jacobs.  I still like Derek Carr but he doesn’t fit where we are right now at all

I seen a important fact about Carr.

Since he was draft til now, the raiders defense has been ranked 32nd.

Thats petttty big..... The whole time hes been playing down 20 to start games..

@Jon Snow change your opinion some with that titty biity? fact!?!?

The Raiders have the 32nd-ranked defense since Carr entered the league. Has never played on a team that ranked better than 20th on defense.

Edited by Basbear

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Lets leave out that the Raiders are completely terrible from top to bottom outside of 1 WR and maybe Jacobs.  I still like Derek Carr but he doesn’t fit where we are right now at all

I mean having a star WR and a star RB is pretty good for weapons... I think coaching is the bigger problem there myself.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Most of us would love a Superbowl, but also recognize the importance of the playoffs in building a team.  Over the last 20 years only 2 teams have won the Superbowl without being in the playoffs in the last three years: The Bucs and the Eagles. Large portions of the Bucs roster had significant playoff experience in those last three years (especially Brady and Gronk), and the Eagles were in four years before and had a stacked roster.

Playoffs, woohoo. We're the new Browns.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Playoffs, woohoo. We're the new Browns.

The Browns have been to the playoffs 3 times in the last 3 decades.  We've been four times in the decade, which includes our recent drought.  We're not the Browns, and Carr wouldn't make us them (but I also don't want him).

Just now, mav1234 said:

The Browns have been to the playoffs 3 times in the last 3 decades.  We've been four times in the decade, which includes our recent drought.  We're not the Browns, and Carr wouldn't make us them (but I also don't want him).

I hate to be the one to inform you, but the Panthers are half a decade now being a losing team, and we're rebuilding. They've just ripped the band-aid off at coach. They haven't yet found the quarterback and are building a team that will require a lot of large contracts very soon.

They're becoming the new Browns. No solid choice at this point at quarterback, but they have some great players which the team will have to pay to keep them in town. Hopefully they don't fall into the trap of setting the bar so low that making the playoffs in quite possibly the worst division is the goal.

Signing Derek Carr would signal that's what they're gunning for.

31 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I hate to be the one to inform you, but the Panthers are half a decade now being a losing team, and we're rebuilding. They've just ripped the band-aid off at coach. They haven't yet found the quarterback and are building a team that will require a lot of large contracts very soon.

They're becoming the new Browns. No solid choice at this point at quarterback, but they have some great players which the team will have to pay to keep them in town. Hopefully they don't fall into the trap of setting the bar so low that making the playoffs in quite possibly the worst division is the goal.

Signing Derek Carr would signal that's what they're gunning for.

The Panthers have sucked for years and yet we're nothing like the Browns. That is how bad they've been. They've won their division once in 2+ decades, and yet we are competing for ours now.  We aren't a QB away, and yes, there are challenges, but we've got a decent young roster that needs some pieces beyond QB. I don't want Carr because of his contract, but I'm not going to pout and whine and stamp my feet about how this team is "the new Browns" when we're in the middle of a run at the division to finish out the season.

Derek Carr is better than any QB that has played for the Browns in 2-3 decades.  That is not true of the Panthers (Though he would be our 2nd best QB ever to play for us in all likelihood). 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well those are two wildly different things. Carr is an actual NFL starting caliber QB so there would be a major price increase. Darnold is probably looking at something along the $4-6 mil/year lines, if he is very lucky. 

Carr is capable of winning in the NFL, Darnold is not. He needs a perfect scenario around him and to be limited dramatically. That isn't going to change.

Now, would I pay the likely FA tag on Carr? Eh.....depends. If we can draft a guy that the FOOTBALL people in the organization believe in, that is probably the best route. If that isn't an option, Carr is probably easily the best case scenario for a team like ours.

But, I highly doubt he would want anything to do with a franchise like ours unless we are willing to pay above market value.

I'd Sammy Franchise wins 6 more games you'll be on board 

36 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The Panthers have sucked for years and yet we're nothing like the Browns. That is how bad they've been. They've won their division once in 2+ decades, and yet we are competing for ours now.  We aren't a QB away, and yes, there are challenges, but we've got a decent young roster that needs some pieces beyond QB. I don't want Carr because of his contract, but I'm not going to pout and whine and stamp my feet about how this team is "the new Browns" when we're in the middle of a run at the division to finish out the season.

Derek Carr is better than any QB that has played for the Browns in 2-3 decades.  That is not true of the Panthers (Though he would be our 2nd best QB ever to play for us in all likelihood). 

I'm just saying that's where we're headed if the Panthers don't prioritize what's need for the modern NFL. Number one obviously is the quarterback position, then coaching. Signing cast-offs and hoping you get lucky in the draft, while not prioritizing the position, is just going to prolong the problem. When I say we're becoming the Browns, I more or less mean the fans and the teams standards for what constitutes 'winning'.

Only a few years ago, we had fans that were often disappointed by just reaching the playoffs. I feel like that mentality is needed. I know people hate Brady, but there's a reason he's inarguably the best ever at this point. A large part of that was his insanely high standards for himself and his team.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I'm just saying that's where we're headed if the Panthers don't prioritize what's need for the modern NFL. Number one obviously is the quarterback position, then coaching. Signing cast-offs and hoping you get lucky in the draft, while not prioritizing the position, is just going to prolong the problem. When I say we're becoming the Browns, I more or less mean the fans and the teams standards for what constitutes 'winning'.

Only a few years ago, we had fans that were often disappointed by just reaching the playoffs. I feel like that mentality is needed. I know people hate Brady, but there's a reason he's inarguably the best ever at this point. A large part of that was his insanely high standards for himself and his team.

That's fair. And if we make the playoffs this year, I'll be disappointed in future years we don't hit a Superbowl.  But I respect your take on this too.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Krovvy said:

This is what happens when the bar drops so low. The Panthers idea of winning at this point is making the playoffs. The Super Bowl isn't something they're interested in. A team that can compete every year isn't what they're interested in.

The Panthers are basically the pre-Lamelo Hornets.

Yeah, the way these fans are talking is basically like Browns fans.

We are basically the Browns at this point.

• Pie 1