• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lost the game in the trenches

ladypanther

So...what happened to the dline and the oline?  Brady had all day to throw which is not good for a good secondary not to mention the scrubs we had playing.   These players want to play hard for Wilks but you could not see it on the field.  Got manhandled up front on both sides of the ball.  That surprised me.

• Pie 6

I don't think that we got manhandled on the O-line. Was Darnold even sacked today? I know that he was pressured, but it wasn't all bad. We must remember that Tampa has a pretty good D-line. 

Now our D-line just wasn't at all effective, and it's really not surprising to me, as our DEs aren't as big and strong as necessary to push steady O-lines around on a consistent basis. The finesse game may be good enough against mediocre competition, but will only take you so far.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think that we got manhandled on the O-line. Was Darnold even sacked today? I know that he was pressured, but it wasn't all bad. We must remember that Tampa has a pretty good D-line. 

Now our D-line just wasn't at all effective, and it's really not surprising to me, as our DEs aren't as big and strong as necessary to push steady O-lines around on a consistent basis. The finesse game may be good enough against mediocre competition, but will only take you so far.

Did you flip the game off at half time?  Ickey gave up a strip sack deep with 2 min left  in the game which resulted in them scoring a TD making it a 9 point game.

OL isn’t the reason we lost.  Far from it.  
but they did have their toughest outing in a bit.  A big reason we got away from the run run was because they weren’t  getting any holes.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 3
  • The D 1

I thought the oline played well. Ickey had a rough play at a crucial moment, but Darnold had time. Nobody has success running on Tampa so that wasn’t a surprise. 

The dline was decent as well. Three sacks is the most against Brady all year and we held their running game in check. 

This game falls solely on the cb play, or lack there of and the defensive coaching. 

I was stunned we had no safety help on the 2nd and 3rd tds to Evan’s. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

The defence struggled as a whole unit. Brady & co have struggled all year, Brady especially, I've had him in my fantasy team this year & the biggest score he had was today, only scored more than 20 points once this year. But that aside, the d-line couldn't pressure him enough like every other team has this year to help our secondary out.

I thought the o-line did ok. The play calling went away from the run, which all o-lineman pride themselves in doing.

14 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Did you flip the game off at half time?  Ickey gave up a strip sack deep with 2 min left  in the game which resulted in them scoring a TD making it a 9 point game.

OL isn’t the reason we lost.  Far from it.  
but they did have their toughest outing in a bit.  A big reason we got away from the run run was because they weren’t  getting any holes.

Yes I saw it, but what you must understand is that no O-line or O-lineman is perfect. I'm not making excuses, but even Greg Olsen said that Hubbard should have helped Ickey on that play. Tampa's line is legit, but like you said (and like I told my son), the O-line was not the reason that we lost; we lost because we couldn't get any---and I mean any---pressure on TB12, and our defensive backfield play (with their huge cushions) was simply bad. The O-line did more than enough to win, notwithstanding a relatively paltry number of yards from Foreman (because he got the large preponderance of carries today).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

33 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Two times. 

Not bad for the O-line as far as Pass-blocking goes.

The O-Line's run-blocking however was pretty sub-par.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

36 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Darnold got sacked twice but if you look at his stats, he has a number of incompletions. His INT was his only bad throw. Almost all of the incompletions were him being forced to throw it away either from pressure or no one getting open.  Our Oline wasn't awful, but in key situations it often didn't give Darnold time to throw, while Brady with I think one exception had the time he needed, especially in the second half. 

Our lines mostly got handled today. Oline was not able to create holes for the run game. That meant Darnold was forced to throw 37 times.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Darnold got sacked twice but if you look at his stats, he has a number of incompletions. His INT was his only bad throw. Almost all of the incompletions were him being forced to throw it away either from pressure or no one getting open.  Our Oline wasn't awful, but in key situations it often didn't give Darnold time to throw, while Brady with I think one exception had the time he needed, especially in the second half. 

Our lines mostly got handled today. Oline was not able to create holes for the run game. That meant Darnold was forced to throw 37 times.

Forced to throw 37 times and only 1 INT (with that INT being because he put a bit too much air under the ball)?   *nods head* Not bad.

almost 350 yards passing....I'd say Sam came ready to play.

Wish the running game came with him, though. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Wilks' soft defense was what lost the game.  Mostly the DB cushion and refusal to change the plan for covering Evans, but also refusal to bring any extra pressure until the end of the game.  Only a very few elite DLs can consistently get pressure with just the front four (and we were actually pressuring Brady, got at least a couple sacks).  It wasn't the trenches, it was the playcalling and scheme on defense.  24 points ain't great, but it was more than what was enough last time and if not for a few bonehead plays by Darnold they'd probably have scored another TD or two. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

He had three or so bad underthrows, but only one was picked.  One or two of the others would have been TDs if they had been thrown better.  I remember one was to Sullivan, the other might have been Marshall, I forget.  But I agree overall Sam played alright, the loss was definitely not mostly on him at all.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Also, I was screaming throughout the game why aren't we running more.  The run game didn't not come to play, they weren't given the opportunity to play.  In the second half while we still had the lead it looked like Foreman was finally starting to get going with a few decent runs and then we just kept passing more than throwing.  Maddening.

• Beer 1