• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"We should have traded Burns" - a rebuttal

Ricky Spanish

7 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Burns is not a top 10 DL. Heck Washington has 3 or 4 I'd put above him. Even with his sack advantage. There's more to playing the position. He can't set the edge. He opens run lanes and gets out of position even when pass rushing. And he misses tackles at the WORST possible times. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34125688/ranking-nfl-top-10-edge-rushers-2022-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks-best-defensive-ends-linebackers

It's done by nfl executives and guess what... he was top 10 on pass rushers. Hmmm, think I'll take the opinion of nfl executives over fans on a board. :shrugs:

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34125688/ranking-nfl-top-10-edge-rushers-2022-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks-best-defensive-ends-linebackers

It's done by nfl executives and guess what... he was top 10 on pass rushers. Hmmm, think I'll take the opinion of nfl executives over fans on a board. :shrugs:

You're right. It's only my opinion. But honestly wouldn't even want him as a starter at DE on my team. I'd make him a situational player. Think he'd thrive in that role.

8 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

You're right. It's only my opinion. But honestly wouldn't even want him as a starter at DE on my team. I'd make him a situational player. Think he'd thrive in that role.

He's a much much better fit at 3-4 OLB imo. He's decent in coverage and it helps cover him in certain areas. 

7 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Go back to the 2021 draft. 

Eagles move up from 12th to 6th. 

Difference in value of the picks in 2021 was 379 points. A 2nd round value.  

Eagles gave up a 22 1st round pick.  

There ya go. 

It's the same for every single team,  it's how the draft works

So one specific trade means every team in the league feels the same way. Where are all these videos we were promised? 

10 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

A poll from the summer that doesn’t include many players who have passed him. Highsmith, Reddick, Sweat, Hendrickson, Judon, Lawrence, Hunter. 

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

He's a much much better fit at 3-4 OLB imo. He's decent in coverage and it helps cover him in certain areas. 

I think Brown would be a great DE in a 3-4 as well. Would like to see us move that direction if possible.

40 minutes ago, frankw said:

Trading Burns is a rebuild move and you are not going to get Reddick or any other premium FA pass rusher to commit unless you overpay. For many free agents playing for a contender is also a part of their decision making process. Yeah you still have guys who will take a payday on a bottom dweller but pass rushers have more choices given the need around the league. They aren't going to be in a hurry to hitch their wagon to the rebuilding Panthers. You keep saying pick 37 like that's such a big bargaining chip. If you want to move up for a QB firsts are all that matters. But if you're the general manager of a team needing a young promising QB on a rookie contract are you going to pass up staying put and taking the quarterback you're targeting for the 37th pick or a 1st two years from now knowing your job is on the line right now? Scott Fitterer is not the only NFL GM without the benefit of time to waste. Everyone wants to win now.

Pick 37 can be a player or a chip in a trade. First it was future 1sts aren’t worth a 2nd and a 3rd year, now it’s the high 2nd doesn’t matter, only the future firsts. I really can’t keep up with the spin cycle to make overpaying one player seem like a good idea. 

So you’re fine with the GM making moves in his best interest’s and not the team. Just want to make sure that’s where we are at. 

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So one specific trade means every team in the league feels the same way. Where are all these videos we were promised? 

A poll from the summer that doesn’t include many players who have passed him. Highsmith, Reddick, Sweat, Hendrickson, Judon, Lawrence, Hunter. 

I gave 4 examples that followed the same pattern. 

2021 49ers trade for Lance.  1000 point difference.  

2 first and 3rd

Middle 2nd is worth 400 points, Middle 3rd 200 points. 

Bears in 2021. Point difference 370. 

Future 1st and 4th. 

Same pattern. Same valuation. 

Need I continue? That's 6 examples and all follow the same point pattern. 

As for the videos, said I couldn't do it till tonight or the morning.  

As for the other part, I've proven by normal stats and advanced stats that he's top 10. 

:shrugs:

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Pie 1

56 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

It's not just about sacks. 

He's 4th in pressures since drafted. He's 12 in defensive stops this season. Top ten in sacks as well to be a kicker. He's a top ten dline player.  Yeeesh

I think thats his best stat (without this years snap total). 4th in pressure is very impressive. Thats a impact and could result in a TO for the unit. Where a 2nd down and 4 sack in the first half just means its 3rd and 8(unless its a FF which is the elite standard). 

I do think your line of "top ten' is waay too rich, but nothing too crazy..  

33 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I gave 4 examples that followed the same pattern. 

2021 49ers trade for Lance.  1000 point difference.  

2 first and 3rd

Middle 2nd is worth 400 points, Middle 3rd 200 points. 

Bears in 2021. Point difference 370. 

Future 1st and 4th. 

Same pattern. Same valuation. 

Need I continue? That's 6 examples and all follow the same point pattern. 

As for the videos, said I couldn't do it till tonight or the morning.  

As for the other part, I've proven by normal stats and advanced stats that he's top 10. 

If that is the universal approach why don’t you see the reverse in play during the draft?

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You are a good poster.  Don’t lose credibility with stuff like this.  They are universally respected 

I think they suck at line play grading, but even still...

They've had him ranked in the top 10 among edge rushers. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-edge-defender-rankings-week-13-micah-parsons-myles-garrett-2022

13 hours ago, stbugs said:

To add on to this, the Pats have gotten rid of lots of players right before their big payday if they didn’t feel that future deal was good value. Typically they had someone ready to fill the void.

No doubt in my mind that Belichick takes that deal and goes out and finds a Judon like replacement and makes out like a bandit. 

Belichick has leeway, Fitterer doesn’t