• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Disappointing player of the year award?

WarPanthers89

4 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

He knew what he was doing , notice he suddenly doesn't have the batted ball problem in LA, we were a stepping stone plain and simple, his way out of Cleveland but not his final destination 

That's a dubious idea at best. Every nfl player knows that every snap they take in a game is filmed and available for review by 31 other potential employers. It would be dangerous to intentionally put yourself on film playing awful in an actual game for any reason, but particularly when the perception of your career and abilities is downward trending after being the number one pick in the draft.

Not that it couldn't happen, because nfl players are completely capable of being stupid just like anyone else, but it would be a monumentally risky and probably boneheaded move for any nfl player.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Disappointment implies expectation.

I didn't really have high expectations for a lot of the guys being mentioned.

Many of the guys mentioned have shown potential to be really good but have underachieved for various reasons, Matt Rhule being the obvious one. It’s why getting the next HC and staff hire right is so crucial.

Edited by Prowler2k18

44 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

It's simple, his skillset best fits at linebacker or maybe an in the box safety but Wilks has been set on him playing coverage safety.

Yeah, but when you have competent LBs and want to get the guy on the field what are you supposed to do? I mean he has trouble covering every receiving options from RBs, TEs, and WRs. I mean a coach can't be penalized for not switching him to OLB and blitzing every play. At this point it seems he literally would be regulated to a two down weakside OLB in a 4-3 defense.

5 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

He knew what he was doing , notice he suddenly doesn't have the batted ball problem in LA, we were a stepping stone plain and simple, his way out of Cleveland but not his final destination 

I definitely don't think a player in his situation would ever consider tanking his play on purpose. I mean, there was virtually no market for him to get out of Cleveland. He couldn't afford for his stock to go down even more. Based on his play in L.A. and Darnolds okay here post-Rhule I honestly think Rhule needs to never have any input on an offense ever again.

6 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Many of the guys mentioned have shown potential to be really good but have underachieved for various reasons, Matt Rhule being the obvious one. It’s why getting the next HC and staff hire right is so crucial.

overall agree but i'd question the notion Matt Rhule showed potential to be really good at the NFL level. IMO there is more evidence that ra ra college coaches fail in the NFL than succeed.

13 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

That's a dubious idea at best. Every nfl player knows that every snap they take in a game is filmed and available for review by 31 other potential employers. It would be dangerous to intentionally put yourself on film playing awful in an actual game for any reason, but particularly when the perception of your career and abilities is downward trending after being the number one pick in the draft.

Not that it couldn't happen, because nfl players are completely capable of being stupid just like anyone else, but it would be a monumentally risky and probably boneheaded move for any nfl player.

Yeah, I'd say it might be time to loosen the tinfoil hat a little 😕

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

overall agree but i'd question the notion Matt Rhule showed potential to be really good at the NFL level. IMO there is more evidence that ra ra college coaches fail in the NFL than succeed.

He means Matt Rhule is the reason they underachieved.

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Surprised the lack of mentions for YGM. This was a huge year for him and he really didn’t take that step. He was a consistently 1st round projection in his draft and it’s just not materialized. He’s my choice

YGM sucks. Rotational role player at best. I don’t think people mentioned him because we didn’t expect much. Big miss drafting him.