• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No Jim Harbaugh - Carolina focusing attention elsewhere

therealmjl

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Outside of Belichick, what full control coaches are dominating the NFL right now?

(hell, even Belichick isn't looking so good without Brady)

NFL history extends beyond "right now." I really don't think that I have to give a history lesson, but coaches like Belichick, Reid and Tomlin have basically run everything, and have the hardware to prove it. Even Sean Payton, Bill Parcels, TomCoughlin, Pete Carroll and others have basically had the most pull in their organizations depending upon whom you ask. They all have hardware. Franchises are going to go through the ebbs and flows of success, and people are going to of course have different definitions of success, but everyone that I have named is undoubtedly a good coach that many (if not most) owners would give a great degree of control to, if not "total" control in pursuit of championships. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

All the rumors and whispers going around are that Carolina is Harbaugh's first choice and the Panthers are lukewarm or possibly not interested.

Harbaugh is a multimillionaire who's going to get paid whatever he wants if he goes back to the NFL, if he wants to see some mountains he can just get on a plane.

It is asinine that we are lukewarm. I shouldn’t be shocked though.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, poorboysrev said:

Tepper could be really hesitant to give the kind of control Harbaugh likely wants to someone again after making that mistake with Fhule. Or maybe I’m just too optimistic he can learn from/admit mistakes ha

There is a huge difference in giving control to a small school door to door salesman and an odd, but proven big time winner at the NFL level. Big time coaches like Payton will also want control, he’s already said so. There is also something to say for someone who thinks it’s all the same. That is stupidity, but likely Tepper’s logic.

Tepper has absolutely no idea what he’s doing per usual and the fact that he’s hesitant on Harbaugh just makes me want him more.

Harbaugh doesn’t mix well with big ego guys since he himself has one, however he will give Tepper exactly what he wants - a winning football team in the least amount of time possible.

The difference in the Vikings is they appear to know what they were doing with an alternative choice. So makes sense.

Tepper is a god damn idiot as we all know and you can 100% bet his alternate choice is some dumbassery.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

NFL history extends beyond "right now." I really don't think that I have to give a history lesson, but coaches like Belichick, Reid and Tomlin have basically run everything, and have the hardware to prove it. Even Sean Payton, Bill Parcels, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll and others have basically had the most pull in their organizations depending upon whom you ask. They all have hardware. Franchises are going to go through the ebbs and flows of success, and people are going to of course have different definitions of success, but everyone that I have named is undoubtedly a good coach that many (if not most) owners would give a great degree of control to, if not "total" control in pursuit of championships. 

The Wishbone is part of NFL history too, but I wouldn't suggest employing it today.

Of the coaches listed, only Pete Carroll actually has final say. Heck, Reid specifically stated he leaves personnel stuff to Brett Veach.

Tomlin had Colbert, Payton had Loomis, Coughlin had to dial back to start winning and Parcells actually got worse the more control he got (his trophy came working with Ernie Accorsi).

Having a total control coach is not a popular model these days, and for good reason.

13 minutes ago, onmyown said:

There is a huge difference in giving control to a small school door to door salesman and an odd, but proven big time winner at the NFL level. Big time coaches like Payton will also want control, he’s already said so. There is also something to say for someone who thinks it’s all the same. That is stupidity, but likely Tepper’s logic.

Tepper has absolutely no idea what he’s doing per usual and the fact that he’s hesitant on Harbaugh just makes me want him more.

Harbaugh doesn’t mix well with big ego guys since he himself has one, however he will give Tepper exactly what he wants - a winning football team in the least amount of time possible.

The difference in the Vikings is they appear to know what they were doing with an alternative choice. So makes sense.

Tepper is a god damn idiot as we all know and you can 100% bet his alternate choice is some dumbassery.

Never said they were the same thing. This is all way early speculation , hearsay and agents and teams doing their leverage  dance. The results of giving head coaches full control speak for themselves so I’d be leery of that personally but obviously no argument that Payton or harbaugh are different stratosphere than the POS 3000 in Nebraska

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

No issue with either of those choices.

But I don't think that's who we hire.

Reich was garbage in Indy and couldn’t get it done there. I’ve said it before, I live near Indy so I’m surrounded by colts fans, it would be a huge mistake to hire Reich, huge. 

• Pie 1