• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

25 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm not trying to discount that Brees wasn't great, but just trying to really emphasize how much scheme matters in allowing guys to maximize their potential.  No doubt, and 100% agree, Brees and Payton perfectly complemented each other.  It was a perfect fit - Brees strengths and style of play, and Payton's scheme and system

That being said, I also think if Brees ended up signing with the Dolphins that offseason instead of Payton and New Orleans, he does NOT end up becoming as great as he did.  Nowhere close.  I think he would've been a solid, occasional Pro Bowl guy here and there, but not record-setting, thorn in our side, HOFer.  And again, that speaks to the brilliance of scheme and coaching.  We got to see time and time again him out-think, outcoach, out maneuver, and outsmart the coaches we've had in place here...  and do it all with that squinty-eyed, pursed lip face from the sideline that just made you wish you could punch him.  But again, all that matters to me, is can he coach?  While yes, Brees was the one constant, and a big one at that, that organization had a ton of turnover, tons of injuries, and constantly seemed strapped for resources - be it draft picks or cap space.  And yet, every year, he was making chicken salad out of chicken poo.  He beat our ass with backups and whole units decimated too many times to count.

I look at my previous stated example of Shanahan.  Those guys make their teams exceed expectations because their scheme and playcalling is just so perfect, or damn near close to it.  I told someone the other day, I'm convinced Shanahan could sign one of us off the street and scheme up a gameplan to win, STILL.  I also look at how bad Baker looked here versus how he looked with the Rams, especially the first game with no prep.  It was night and day.  And again, McVay is just flat out a great coach.  I look at how many people questioned Daniel Jones since he's been in NY, and then look how he's playing now under Daboll.  I look at how shitty Goff looked in Detroit before Johnson got there.  I look at how Derek Carr went from MVP-caliber QB, to looking meh under McDaniels (who has proven time and time again that he is a shitty coach who has rode Brady and Belichick's coat tails to success by proxy).  I know from the coaches we've had here and then looking at the impact, mastermind-level coaches around the league that the great coaches make their players better.  They make the average guys good, the good guys great, and the great guys exceptional.  The coaches we've had make their teams play to the expected level or below and that's it, and it's usually below.  They make their players worse and usually in unfavorable positions where it's hard to succeed.

So, do I think Payton could do that here? Absolutely.  While there is no QB in place, I always trust an offensive-minded coach with a proven track record to find a way to make it work and to elevate the play of the players they have.  And again, any one of the young OCs we're interested in could become one of those coaches as well, so I'm not against it.   I just know Payton has done it as a HC and can do it again.  I actually think coming into this situation isn't much different than when he got to NO and they had to find a QB.  I also think Carr would be the perfect bridge for the situation.

And again, I'm not saying this put all my eggs in the Payton basket.  All things considered, it would be a lot more awesome to find the next great, young offensive mind in that same Payton, McVay, Shanahan mold.  But, I know what Payton has done and can do.  So, I'm liking our options regardless.

It's not so much a question to me of what if they'd have gone their separate ways.

It's more a point of what they did, they did together.

Are you positive you count on one or the other of them being able to do it on their own?

I'm not.

Payton was on the Herd 

Interesting interview if you are into body language and cues 

he confirmed he is meeting with ‘Mr Tepper’ this Friday 

all the other openings, he didn’t address with the ‘Mr’ title 

he also said the mid or first rd pick could probably be for ‘next year’ knowing Loomis 

He Super Bowl was some time ago and the saints failed repeatedly in the playoffs as Brees  aged

he has zero moral compass 

sounds like David Tepper’s kinda guy  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Pretty quiet on the Panthers coaching front today...do we know if the Ben Johnson interview is today or later this week? Given Tepper will be in NY on Friday for Payton, would assume Johnson is coming down to CLT today or tomorrow for his interview.

It's tomorrow 

Looks like the Broncos think they will lock up Payton today in LA. They expect to give him everything that he wants to make it happen, possibly today. Please note, Walmart has more money than Tepper, not that it would get that ridiculous.

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2023/1/17/23558475/sean-payton-rumors-broncos-to-interview-in-los-angeles

Edited by philit99
  • Pie 1

25 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

it depends on the situation. many players do their time, come out better people and deserve another chance. Had Payton accepted that what he did was wrong and had shown that he’s making efforts to correct his behavior and help others do the same, then i wouldn’t have a problem with him. he has shown no remorse, and tried to play the victim card.

in cases like this, i like to point to Dany Heatly from the NHL. he got drunk and smashed his ferrari into the wall of his apt complex, killing his passenger. Since he was a superstar, and his passenger, who was a teammate, was a nobody, his punishment for committing manslaughter was to get traded to Ottawa. he should be in jail, but was give a pat on the head, the family was paid off, and no one cares that a man died because they need to win games.

fug Ottawa for accepting him into their team and profiting off of the success he helped bring them.

You’re comparing bountygate with drinking and driving and manslaughter?

1 minute ago, philit99 said:

Looks like the Broncos think they will lock up Payton today in LA. They expect to give him everything that he wants to make it happen, possibly today.

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2023/1/17/23558475/sean-payton-rumors-broncos-to-interview-in-los-angeles

Technically speaking the Broncos cannot offer the job or talk contract specifics with Payton today, only interview him and then discuss compensation with the Saints. But in reality, I'm sure a compensation framework is agreed to already (likely the 49ers 1st round pick and maybe another future pick) and while specifics can't be discussed, I'm sure the Broncos ownership will let Payton know they are prepared to meet his demands. We'll see if Tepper gets a shot at Payton or not... 

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Technically speaking the Broncos cannot offer the job or talk contract specifics with Payton today, only interview him and then discuss compensation with the Saints. But in reality, I'm sure a compensation framework is agreed to already (likely the 49ers 1st round pick and maybe another future pick) and while specifics can't be discussed, I'm sure the Broncos ownership will let Payton know they are prepared to meet his demands. We'll see if Tepper gets a shot at Payton or not... 

yep just stating that the article makes it look like it is a simple formality at this point.

Edited by philit99

12 minutes ago, philit99 said:

Looks like the Broncos think they will lock up Payton today in LA. They expect to give him everything that he wants to make it happen, possibly today. Please note, Walmart has more money than Tepper, not that it would get that ridiculous.

I’m so sick of Denver and everyone acting like they’re this elite destination 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

What do you mean?

Just not big on Ben Johnson. I think he did a great job in his 1st year (only) as coordinator. But handing him a football team isn’t smart. Like I said yesterday he gives me Adam Gase vibes.

HCs he has worked under: Joe Philbin (3.5 years), Adam Gase (3 years), Brian Flores (1 year), Matt Patricia (1 year), Dan Campbell (2.5 years).

Has only been on a team that went to the playoffs once, and got smoked. He had been on a ton of losing teams. 

He is just the hot thing at the moment, remember when Leftwich was the next hot commodity for HC and a year or two later he is canned. 

• Pie 1