• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you were an Anti-Tanker... please identify yourself, are you proud?

TheBigKat

2 hours ago, Newtcase said:

I think both sides have a valid opinion.  Ultimately, just be your own fan however you like.  Too many damn people trying to force their opinions on other people.  

One question for anti-tankers.  How do you feel about the McCaffrey trade?  We walked one of the NFL's best weapons out the door for "draft picks".  What could that trade have been other than the owner/GM clearly stating "We prefer our future over our present"?  I'd say the tankers saw every game we lost as a similar opportunity.

I do think Tepper expected the team spiral.  Not through something as obvious as asking Wilkes or the players to quit.  He saw a dumpster fire of a team and tossed a little fuel on.  A mid-season coaching change and walking your best player out the door should have been enough put the tank on without needing to ask anyone.

The backfire was we were actually capable of doing the only thing Wilkes could do, RUN THE BALL.  Surprising to most everyone, we had the capability of road grading a few teams.  That successful running opened up the passing game a bit, the successful offense kept the defense fresh, all the sudden we had a glimpse of complimentary football.  When Pitt and Tampa stuffed our run game the house of cards was exposed.

Our pathetic division amplified the value of a few wins and suddenly Panthers football got quite interesting for a few weeks.  This was a happy accident though, I have no doubt that Tepper expected this team to fail into drafting a top prospect.  

Interesting theory on Tepper. But what I will say is that I believe that Tepper was just frustrated, if not low-key infuriated, at being all loosey-goosey with our draft picks. I think that he thought that we needed to get that back and took a calculated risk of letting CMC go on his merry way, while also believing that Foreman and Hubbard had enough juice to keep the running game legitimate. I know that I always thought that both Foreman and especially Hubbard were being underutilized. I think that he was pleasantly surprised that we stayed afloat, but that actually playing to lose never crossed his mind. I believe that he was mentally prepared to see the team tank organically but that it wasn't his intention or desire to do so.

• Beer 1

Tanking works in the NBA when a Lebron is in the draft. The Hornets are trash in a great year to be trash. Doubt they get Wemby because Hornets, but still. Teams are small. You need stars.

Tanking in football isn’t the recipe though. Too many players. Too much of a team game. Coaching/scheming matters more. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2