• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt bringing Sexy back..

WOW!!

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am generally saying the same thing. He didn't want to suffer through a QB search again. 

I do find it interesting that the two guys we are talking about really care more about their legacies rather than winning.

But, it is what it is.

Well that's true.  It's not just the qb.  Robbing Peter to Pay Paul is fine when you have a qb, but now they don't have a QB and they're in cap hell.  They are way worse positioned then we are.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

There are plenty of early first round RBs and LBs who are successful.

Point to a single top 10, heck 1st round TE, in the NFL today that was a good pick. Hockenson may be the best 1st round TE in the league right now and he is on his second team, was a disappointment for the Lions and took 4 years to have his best year. He also was drafted before 7 stud/solid DL (Oliver, Lawrence, Wilkins, Gary, Burns, Simmons and Sweat) who would have been way better for the Lions defensive issues.

We have a fascination with our players so everyone is looking for the next Olsen. He’s not an easy guy to replace with first round picks. Kittle, Andrews, Kelce, etc. were not 1st rounders.

1st round LBs, DL and RBs doing well year 1 is common, successful rookie 1st round TEs are not.

For those interested, 1st round TEs in the last 20 years:

• Dallas Clark - Colts - 2003
  • Kellen Winslow II - Browns - 2004
  • Ben Watson - Patriots - 2004
  • Heath Miller - Steelers - 2005
  • Marcedes Lewis - Jaguars - 2006
  • Vernon Davis - 49ers - 2006
  • Greg Olsen - Bears - 2007
  • Dustin Keller - Jets - 2008
  • Brandon Pettigrew - Lions - 2009
  • Jeremaine Gresham - Bengals - 2010
  • Tyler Eifert - Bengals - 2013
  • Eric Ebron - Lions - 2014
  • OJ Howard - Bucs - 2017
  • Eric Engram - Giants - 2017
  • David Njoku - Browns - 2017
  • Hayden Hurst - Ravens - 2018
  • TJ Hockenson - Lions - 2019
  • Noah Fant - Broncos - 2019
  • Kyle Pitts - Falcons - 2021
  • Pie 1

No thanks to a first round TE, waste of a pick. You can find stars in the middle of the draft, that's where all the top TEs in the league have been draft:

Kelce - 3rd round

Kittle - 5th round

Andrews - 3rd round

Knox - 3rd round

Kmet - 2nd round

Hockenson, Engram and Njoku are the only 3 first rounders in the top 10 in yards this season and 2 of those 3 are vets on their 2nd team while Njoku was picked at the end of round 1 (29 overall).

• Pie 2

50 minutes ago, stbugs said:

There are plenty of early first round RBs and LBs who are successful.

Point to a single top 10, heck 1st round TE, in the NFL today that was a good pick. Hockenson may be the best 1st round TE in the league right now and he is on his second team, was a disappointment for the Lions and took 4 years to have his best year. He also was drafted before 7 stud/solid DL (Oliver, Lawrence, Wilkins, Gary, Burns, Simmons and Sweat) who would have been way better for the Lions defensive issues.

We have a fascination with our players so everyone is looking for the next Olsen. He’s not an easy guy to replace with first round picks. Kittle, Andrews, Kelce, etc. were not 1st rounders.

1st round LBs, DL and RBs doing well year 1 is common, successful rookie 1st round TEs are not.

I'm not looking for the new Olsen. I'm looking for the next Kelce, Gonzalez or even Gronkowski. 

18 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm not looking for the new Olsen. I'm looking for the next Kelce, Gonzalez or even Gronkowski. 

Of those 3, only Gonzalez was a first round pick. Gronk was 42nd overall, Kelce 63rd overall. No need to waste a top 10 pick on a TE.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Beer 1

Just sign Evan Engram in FA. He's your former first round pick and gave the Jags 766 yards and 4 TDs on a 1 year, $9m deal.

Could also look at Mike Gesicki. Prior to this year, he put up back to back 700+ yard seasons and has averaged 4.5 TDs/year over the last 4 years.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Well that's true.  It's not just the qb.  Robbing Peter to Pay Paul is fine when you have a qb, but now they don't have a QB and they're in cap hell.  They are way worse positioned then we are.

I am not sure how much worse positioned they are. I think our current coaching cycle will determine that, TBH.

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

So, since Olsen, it’s been a very bad move. Even with the inconsistent ok/good/bad results of Hockenson/Pitts, there were bunches of marquee talent picked after those two that would have been much better picks.

I came to the same conclusion looking at that list.  Prior to Olsen it looked pretty good.  After Olsen, it is a different story.

• Pie 1

Luke Schoonmaker is a midround TE to follow.  

He's one I'm excited to see in the Shrine Bowl.  Remember hearing from Dan Brugler or someone that he's a guy teams have had their eyes on.  Could go higher than expected.  Overall, a pretty nice TE class.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 1

If I had to compare playing styles of the top TEs in the upcoming draft to TEs on one of the two lists in this thread...

Michael Mayer - Travis Kelce

Dalton Kincaid - Evan Engram

Tucker Kraft - Mark Andrews

Luke Musgrave - Tyler Eifert

Darnell Washington - Marcedes Lewis

Sam LaPorta - Heath Miller (jersey colors if nothing else)

Luke Schoonmaker - Brandon Pettigrew

***Not saying Mayer will become Kelce. Just that his playing style is similar.***

28 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Even our best TE ever, Olsen, was a bad pick for the Bears. He’s like Hockenson, not good for the team that drafted him.

Maybe a good lesson to stick it out with Tremble. I think he's worthy of TE2 consideration after his rookie contract, and he may develop beyond that. He's still only 22 years old.