• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey: Because, of course

Mr. Scot

The whole "the offense and running game got better after we traded away CMC" is just a complete and utter farce from people I don't think really watched our games.  It was quite clear that Rhule was deathly afraid of CMC getting injured again and they based their play calling around that fear.

The running game improved after the trade because they were no longer afraid of having their highly paid RB get injured, so they had no qualms about running it up the gut a whole bunch of times every game.  Which was something CMC was always great at, but didn't seem to do a whole lot of it early this year, which to me was out of fear of injury.

I'd long said that CMC's injuries were more freak plays, like a couple years ago the high ankle sprain was from someone falling on his ankle as he was being tackled on his way into the end zone, not his body breaking down.  And that we'd trade him away and watch a team use him properly and him finally not get bad luck with freak injuries and we'd watch him dominate for the next decade, particularly once a team moves him into the slot full time once he hits 30ish.

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The whole "the offense and running game got better after we traded away CMC" is just a complete and utter farce from people I don't think really watched our games.  It was quite clear that Rhule was deathly afraid of CMC getting injured again and they based their play calling around that fear.

The running game improved after the trade because they were no longer afraid of having their highly paid RB get injured, so they had no qualms about running it up the gut a whole bunch of times every game.  Which was something CMC was always great at, but didn't seem to do a whole lot of it early this year, which to me was out of fear of injury.

I'd long said that CMC's injuries were more freak plays, like a couple years ago the high ankle sprain was from someone falling on his ankle as he was being tackled on his way into the end zone, not his body breaking down.  And that we'd trade him away and watch a team use him properly and him finally not get bad luck with freak injuries and we'd watch him dominate for the next decade, particularly once a team moves him into the slot full time once he hits 30ish.

If you're referring to me. What I'm stating is that McCaffrey isn't what was necessary for the Panthers to improve their running game.

The running game improved with the offensive line gelling, as well as the scheme. To put up franchise record rushing numbers the team didn't need an elite running back. They only needed a JAG and a fourth round selection.

6 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

And that we'd trade him away and watch a team use him properly and him finally not get bad luck with freak injuries and we'd watch him dominate for the next decade, particularly once a team moves him into the slot full time once he hits 30ish.

He takes a lot of hits still and the average shelf life of running backs has been pretty clear. He also has a great deal of usage from both Stanford and in Carolina. Expecting him to play well into his thirties in peak form is fantasy.

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

He takes a lot of hits still and the average shelf life of running backs has been pretty clear. He also has a great deal of usage from both Stanford and in Carolina. Expecting him to play well into his thirties in peak form is fantasy.

By the time CMC hits 30, I absolutely expect him to be a full time Slot WR, maybe take the occasional hand off like Deebo has done the last few years.

If the Niners decided to make him a full time Slot WR next year, he'd immediately be one of the best players out of the slot in the league, behind only the likes of guys like Kupp, Lamb, etc, the stud WRs who already play the slot almost exclusively.  

That has been the fallacy of everyone who wanted to trade him because of his position and contract, as his contract for an elite Slot WR of his caliber would be a steal.

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

By the time CMC hits 30, I absolutely expect him to be a full time Slot WR, maybe take the occasional hand off like Deebo has done the last few years.

If the Niners decided to make him a full time Slot WR next year, he'd immediately be one of the best players out of the slot in the league, behind only the likes of guys like Kupp, Lamb, etc, the stud WRs who already play the slot almost exclusively.  

That has been the fallacy of everyone who wanted to trade him because of his position and contract, as his contract for an elite Slot WR of his caliber would be a steal.

Considering what they gave up for him in the trade and his contract I would be very surprised if they did that this early. That removes a significant part of what makes his game special by removing the attention he commands from defenses across the field. If he's still doing that at 30 you also have to account for one of the first things to go being some of that speed. Time is undefeated. Just ask our last franchise quarterback.

22 minutes ago, panthersphan said:

"One of the greatest trades in NFL history..."

FOX commentator after CMC's TD...

...and yeah they don't mean for the Panthers...keep telling yourselves it was the right move to trade a generational type talent for a few average draft picks.

The 49ers weren't willing to trade us their coaching staff.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Y'all are just going to give yourselves unnecessary ulcers if you keep on dwelling on this whole CMC thing.

Do yourselves a favor and just let it go. 

It is what it is and what it is is something that just doesn't matter anymore. It happened, get over it. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Btw, as soon as I saw this thread started I just rolled my eyes and thought "no good can come from this"

Just don't see the point of dwelling on it or stirring this poo up.

I mean y'all can keep beating this dead horse if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the horse is dead and you're just wasting your time stressing and arguing over this poo 

• Pie 2