• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HC Candidate List

Bear Hands

Some Notes:

• Surprised that Kellen Moore is the youngest of the bunch.  Didn't realize that until I pulled it all together.
  • Ben Johnson has more experience than may be perceived and under staffs that had a lot of legends and future HCs on them.  
  • I had mentioned elsewhere but Ben Johnson has connections with a few staffs stemming from his Miami days, part of a Holmgren off-shoot coaching tree.  Is likely tight with a lot of Zac Taylor's staff.  And fun fact--didn't realize Mike Sherman is Zac Taylor's father-in-law.

• Flames 1

So much better than the last coaching search. Some old safe options and lots of guys on the rise for actual good reasons that can be backed by recent successes more than 'did a meh job at a midrange school'. Sooooo much better. 

Edited by Waldo

4 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Some Notes:

• Surprised that Kellen Moore is the youngest of the bunch.  Didn't realize that until I pulled it all together.
  • Ben Johnson has more experience than may be perceived and under staffs that had a lot of legends and future HCs on them.  
  • I had mentioned elsewhere but Ben Johnson has connections with a few staffs stemming from his Miami days, part of a Holmgren off-shoot coaching tree.  Is likely tight with a lot of Zac Taylor's staff.  And fun fact--didn't realize Mike Sherman is Zac Taylor's father-in-law.

Johnson has a couple here as well.

He's worked with QB Coach Sean Ryan before and wide receiver coach Joe Dailey is a college teammate.

No direct connections in the front office that I'm aware of but he did work with Giants GM Joe Schoen in Miami. Schoen spent a couple of years working with Dan Morgan in Buffalo.

• Pie 2

From the AFS:

Fun thing that Steichen does in Philly that would definitely fold into his next squad--They do self-scouts of the opposing-side come offseason.  So at season's end, the offensive staff scouts their defense (& vice versa) and identifies how they'd attack them and their weaknesses heading into the offseason. Helps identify what they need to fix as much as the defensive staff's preferred wants. They learn how their own offense would attack them and try to respond. 

Steichen is apparently also still pretty tight with Rivers and has some strong staffing connections that he could take with him.  He comes from multiple schematic backgrounds so no set philosophy.  Sirianni may have to really figure out how to repatch a huge chunk of his staff.  

Also sounds like he has a really method-based approach with modifying his playbook as needed to the players he has.  More symbiotic than simply playbook, insert players or players, insert playbook.  

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also regarding Steichen...

As I recall, Campen only spent one year there.

Ooh that's nice.  I'd like to think whoever we select identifies that we have a top-tier OL Coach with some really nice pieces in place.  Hoping we re-sign Bozeman and keep Campen.  Would keep things really consistent in the trenches for a new staff. 

Just hope the desired scheme aligns with the personnel for our new coach.  

• Pie 1