• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance?

tukafan21

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not a fan of Garoppolo, but both he and Purdy at least proved that they could run the Shanahan system.

Can we really say that of Lance?

Right now I would say he hasn't had an adequate opportunity (injuries suck).  So it would be a big question mark just like any other draft pick.  Purdy fits more of the Jones/Pickett mold where he can come in and play right away and look decent, but that's probably his ceiling as well.  However, that's what they need in San Fran (it's why Shanahan probably wanted Mac Jones at 3).  They are needing to win now with their complete roster.  We need a young QB that can grow and develop in our offense with our new HC.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Right now I would say he hasn't had an adequate opportunity (injuries suck).  So it would be a big question mark just like any other draft pick.  Purdy fits more of the Jones/Pickett mold where he can come in and play right away and look decent, but that's probably his ceiling as well.  However, that's what they need in San Fran (it's why Shanahan probably wanted Mac Jones at 3).  They are needing to win now with their complete roster.  We need a young QB that can grow and develop in our offense with our new HC.

It's actually been confirmed that Shanahan wanted Lance.

I do get the feeling that if they had that to do all over again, it probably would have been Jones.

• Pie 1

What's the incentive to move on from Lance?

Here's the thing about Purdy - does he look good because he's actually a quality NFL player?  Is he the next Tom Brady style story?  Or does he happen to be in the best system in the NFL?  As we have seen, coaching matters.  Scheming matters.  The player is almost the least of the variable.

I think they will probably keep Lance next year and let him and Purdy battle it out.  If Lance looks good but loses out to a better Purdy, then they might get more from that.  They are both on rookie contracts so there's more incentive to see if Purdy is the real deal or if Lance's light finally clicks on and he can stay healthy.

• Pie 2

This breaks down Lance being traded to the Commanders

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-quarterback-trades-2023/

If Purdy becomes the 49ers’ starting quarterback next season, receiving overwhelming support from the locker room and coaching staff, Lance could try and force his way out. While San Francisco could keep him, the 2023 offseason might be its last opportunity to trade him and still receive quality compensation in return.

• San Francisco 49ers receive: 47th overall pick, conditional. 2024 third-round pick
  • Washington Commanders receive: Trey Lance

Lance isn’t worth a first-round pick at this point. He remains unproven and the reports out of training camp suggested there were still alarming accuracy problems. With only 102 career pass attempts in the NFL, another season spent backing up Purdy would further hurt his trade value.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Lance isn’t worth a first-round pick at this point. He remains unproven and the reports out of training camp suggested there were still alarming accuracy problems. With only 102 career pass attempts in the NFL, another season spent backing up Purdy would further hurt his trade value.

Ouch 😬

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ouch 😬

Yep, but still get a 2nd plus conditional because of potential...

The Washington Commanders can package a top-50 pick and a conditional 2024 pick to roll the dice on Lance. If he starts 80% of the Commanders’ snaps in 2023, it becomes a second-round pick. Furthermore, it would increase to a 2024 first-round pick if Washington makes the playoffs and Lance meets the snaps threshold. Considering Lance’s rushing ability, he could be an ideal fit for the offense Ron Rivera wants the Commanders to use moving forward.

Are we sure Chicago won't trade Justin Fields?

They have a lot of needs on that team. They could take Bryce Young #1. They can use Fields to get even more assets.

I would trade 2 1st for Justin Fields in a heartbeat. That kid has talent but Chicago literally has nothing around him. He would thrive here behind our Oline.

#TradeForFields

• Poo 4

59 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

They have a lot of needs on that team. They could take Bryce Young #1. They can use Fields to get even more assets.

I would trade 2 1st for Justin Fields in a heartbeat. That kid has talent but Chicago literally has nothing around him. He would thrive here behind our Oline.

#TradeForFields

I am a huge Fields fanboy and would love if Chicago was dumb enough to trade him.  With that said I don't think we should give up TWO first round picks for him.  Number 9 should more than do the trick IMO.  

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

#TradeForFields

Chicago is absolutely not trading Fields away this off-season and they 100% aren’t drafting QB. I’d bet deleting my forum account vs anyone who believes otherwise. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I am a huge Fields fanboy and would love if Chicago was dumb enough to trade him.  With that said I don't think we should give up TWO first round picks for him.  Number 9 should more than do the trick IMO.  

They wouldn't do it just for #9.

Maybe #9 and a future 2nd.

Either way we would be crazy not to call them. If Young measurables are decent 6ft 185 and has a great pro day they might consider taking him #1 and using Fields for more draft picks to fill out their roster.

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

He can't throw

That's nonsense!

He threw it well in college. The dude just doesn't have time to throw. He's running for his life behind that Oline and his WR's are trash.

The kid is in a bad situation and he's still showing you signs that he can play. You can't tell me he wouldn't be a threat behind our Oline and with a WR like DJ.

• Pie 2