• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those of you who think we are years away from competing

Ricky Spanish

100% agree. Like most industries, the most critical thing is getting the right guys in charge. 

There are outliers where a rockstar type really carries things (This is typically QBs, sometimes the Donald, Ray Lewis, Von Millers of the world) but if you DON'T have the right coach, you're going nowhere fast.

We experienced that trainwreck full-stop with Rhule (I hate even typing his name)

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I'm about to have lunch and I have Colin Cowherd on in the background. He just spoke about how well Daboll has done this year in NY. He even insinuated that some of Josh Allen's turnovers and bad decision making is a result of not having Daboll in Buffalo to reign him in a bit with his coaching.

He also said teams with a good coach/QB combination will always be competitive. We need to first find a coach (an offensive minded one I hope); and then let him pick the QB that he wants to work with. If he wants a guy in this draft we should try get him. If he has reservations, we need to trust his judgment. You don't want a  a new coach straddled with a QB he feels uncomfortable working with.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

He also said teams with a good coach/QB combination will always be competitive. We need to first find a coach (an offensive minded one I hope); and then let him pick the QB that he wants to work with. If he wants a guy in this draft we should try get him. If he has reservations, we need to trust his judgment. You don't want a  a new coach straddled with a QB he feels uncomfortable working with.

For all our talk about which QB we should draft or what QB we should sign as a FA or trade for, none of us has any input into that decision nor should we.  Neither should Tepper.  Neither should Tepper's wife.  Neither should Fitts, without first talking to whoever we hire as the HC who also needs to talk to his OC and QB coach.

As for the original point, I don't think we are years away, but I also don't think we are as close as some here.  Kinda the same reasoning.  While we look at our roster and like a group of players, the new staff may not like some of the people we like. 

Our roster was largely constructed by an NFL moron, based on a flawed set of assumptions.  Now we need somebody who knows what they are doing to figure out how much of it is worthwhile going forward.  It is entirely possible some of those decisions will make some fans unhappy (to say the least).

I don't think the new staff is going to approach Fitts and say  that everybody has to go, but I also don't think they are going to meet with him to tell him everybody stays.  All we can hope for is they decide a lot more players fit than don't, at least among the bigger names.

• Pie 1

Giants do have limitations but they have talent and you can't deny the difference coaching has made. We can't be scared to make a big change. If either Johnson or Steichen have a plan that will bring our offense up to par with the rest of the league you make the hire.

• Pie 1