• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't get the #1 pick

DaveThePanther2008

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We needed a DT, DE, LB (maybe 2), and a FS keeping our same 4-3 defense.  We now need a FS, NT, DE, and maybe LB.  We needed depth regardless, so how exactly does switching to a 3-4 give us MORE holes on defense?  It looks about the same except Burns is in his more natural position and Chinn can play LB which is his more natural position.

Every year there are holes 

every year

its how the NFL works.  Guys leave in FA and a hole opens.  You can use the excuse Every, Single, Year that you need to fill holes and build the roster.

The fact is, this is a QB driven league.  So you have to have one.  You have to rip the bandaid off at some point and get out of the Hampster wheel.

You can find a starter at Lb, Safety, DL a whole heckuva lot easier outside of rd 1 than finding a QB outside the 1st rd.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

I will say, it’s probably going to be cheaper to go up to 3 from 9. But then you go up there and Young and Stroud are gone because some team (Colts) gave everyone of their picks and you have to draft Levis and act like it was your guy. 

If I team goes to 1, I think it’s Indy. Chicago can still get capital and fall to 4 and most likely get who they want.

6 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Every year there are holes 

every year

its how the NFL works.  Guys leave in FA and a hole opens.  You can use the excuse Every, Single, Year that you need to fill holes and build the roster.

The fact is, this is a QB driven league.  So you have to have one.  You have to rip the bandaid off at some point and get out of the Hampster wheel.

You can find a starter at Lb, Safety, DL a whole heckuva lot easier outside of rd 1 than finding a QB outside the 1st rd.

I agree 1000%.  I just think some people are just overreacting to the 3-4 defense switch (if it even happens).  We have pieces on defense that make it a lot easier to fill the holes we have there.  IE Brown next to an average DL starter should make him look a lot better.  

• Pie 1

Just now, heel31ok said:

Made up math is always more fun.We reduced that risk 100000x when we hired Reich who we all trust to be the QB whisperer we have been waiting for.

1st round QBs have a higher success rate.  It's been shown on here through several forms of data.  Can you get lucky and find one in the later round?  Sure, but they are even more rare than the 1st round ones (which are also hard to come by).  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I predict there are no trades at the top. Chicago will just draft whomever they like best, Houston will take Young, Arizona will take the one Chicago doesn't take, the Colts will take Stroud or Levis, and the Raiders will grab the other. Lions, Seahawks, and Falcons go BPA. That leaves us with BPA or Richardson.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, heel31ok said:

Made up math is always more fun.We reduced that risk 100000x when we hired Reich who we all trust to be the QB whisperer we have been waiting for.

I agree.  It will be interesting to see some of the other QBs perform at the combine.  There might be a prospect that we could get in round two. 

3 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

QB whisper or not

if you give a 5* chef a pile of sh!T and bread.  He’s going to give you a sh!t sandwhich.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree 1000%.  I just think some people are just overreacting to the 3-4 defense switch (if it even happens).  We have pieces on defense that make it a lot easier to fill the holes we have there.  IE Brown next to an average DL starter should make him look a lot better.  

This

multiple people who cover the Panthers already have pointed this out.  We don’t have any more holes on D now than we did before.  Just the holes may shifted a tad.

we needed a SDE before in the 4-3 where YGM is, well now it’s at 3-4 DE.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

If Atlanta ends up trading for Lamar and has to send two 1st rounders to Baltimore then Baltimore is a team that’s sitting there with 4 1st rounders and in need of a QB

I’ve been wondering about them. 
Though with their history.  I think they’d stand Pat and take Richardson with Atlanta’s pick.