• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

Shocker

32 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Totally agree so just stop doing what you accuse everyone else of doing. The emperor has no clothes.

folks claiming he was one of the best in the NFL last year.    Yall basically up in here trying to pull off some flat earth theory.   

Darnold Earthers. 

• Pie 7

2 hours ago, CRA said:

the narrative on Sam is the one HE created in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and still in 2022. 

and 2022 Sam, the new and improved Sam.....still had all his old habits on full display.  Horrible completion %, an incredible knack for the ball being put on the ground, etc.   

It's basically why you tell kids to learn history.   So you don't have things continue to repeat. We saw this in early 2021.  Folks were claiming early Sam was a changed man despite it being evident early on all his bad habits were still there.  He was the same guy.  It just hadn't burned us yet.  But it eventually did.  Spectacularly so.  

I know history. I see history here. Over and over. 
Darnold did not lose that TB game for us, despite what people type. And if he did, … nah, he didn’t and that’s enough of that.

Of course people can see he has issues to overcome. What I saw was progress.

The guy is still only 25 years old with 5 years of NFL experience and he has been through 5 different OCs I think. Maybe he can’t overcome it but I see what I see and that is a player who showed progress last year and has the physical tools that are not that common. Did I say he is 25? Oh yeah, I see that I did.

Someone is going to place a higher value on him then you and those that agree with you do, that is the one thing I would bet on in all this. If I bet.  

There are a lot of guys who are late bloomers.  Everyone doesn’t learn at the same rate. Is this right or wrong? Rhetorical, I know the answer and so do you.

Is he one of them, that Will succeed later? You have to answer that for yourself. I don’t think it is something we can know. Meaning I don’t think the flip side is something we can know either. I get bothered when people declare their opinions as truth, and are dismissive of other opinions. I have to remind myself that that is okay, some people are late bloomers and will get it eventually. 

Me, I think the book is still open and should be. You don’t. I am not going out to buy a Darnold jersey, just looking around and seeing people want to mortgage the future big time drafting a player that Sam would probably easily beat out in a fair competition. At this point in time. That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

What vet qb will be better than Darnold and cheaper who wants to come here?  Just asking for a friend......

That depends on what your expectations are for this bridge QB role. Darnold will probably win you a few more games than Minshew, but is that worth the added cost? We can get anyone to just keep the spot warm for a rookie.

Paying Darnold a premium only makes sense if you think he can win now and become the franchise QB still, or maybe if it’s like a one deal while you try to find stability at the position. 

24 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

I know history. I see history here. Over and over. 
Darnold did not lose that TB game for us, despite what people type. And if he did, … nah, he didn’t and that’s enough of that.

I don't think he lost that game for us.  But that doesn't mean anything.  Whatever someone's take is on that one game doesn't change anything.  

He was decent that game.  Which can be said about 2018 or 19 or 20 or 21 Sam.   Those games have always existed.  Again, the history of Sam is pretty consistent.  

But he didn't play great.  And one okay game with a lot of good and bad certainly isn't a case he was one of the best QBs in the NFL down the stretch. 

34 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

That depends on what your expectations are for this bridge QB role. Darnold will probably win you a few more games than Minshew, but is that worth the added cost? We can get anyone to just keep the spot warm for a rookie.

Paying Darnold a premium only makes sense if you think he can win now and become the franchise QB still, or maybe if it’s like a one deal while you try to find stability at the position. 

So I read speculation that he might be worth 5-8  million as a back up on a 1 year deal. What were you thinking is a premium?

He was on IR for most of the season so he isn't exactly in a great negotiating position if he wants to stay here.

Edited by panthers55
  • Beer 1

39 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Says the Matt Rhule PTSD survivor with Darnoldnoia - the condition where survivors report flashbacks to 2021 which causes temporary blindness and tunnel vision and tendencies to obsess and engage in repetitive compulsive rants.

I might be a Rhule PTSD survivor.  Y’all straight tripping on LSD with this Darnold Eather stuff though.  

I was right on Rhule after 2021.  It was super easy to be right on Rhule after 2021.    Sam is a similar type layup. But here you are arguing we witnessed greatness.  

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I might be a Rhule PTSD survivor.  Y’all straight tripping on LSD with this Darnold Eather stuff though.  

I was right on Rhule after 2021.  It was super easy to be right on Rhule after 2021.    Sam is a similar type layup. But here you are arguing we witnessed greatness.  

No you don't have to try to distort what I said to the extreme. I said he played well enough to be a backup somewhere and given the context he did a good job managing the game coming off IR.  And again we aren't talking Matt Rhule or Darnold of 2021. There are plenty of grounding.exercises to stop a flashback. Stay in the present to avoid the pain or constantly talking about the past. Seriously....

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

No you don't have to try to distort what I said to the extreme. I said he played well enough to be a backup somewhere and given the context he did a good job managing the game coming off IR.  And again we aren't talking Matt Rhule or Darnold of 2021. There are plenty of grounding.exercises to stop a flashback. Stay in the present to avoid the pain or constantly talking about the past. Seriously....

I’ve literally been arguing against the claim he was one of the best QBs in the NFL last year down the stretch…. and the notion that he was actually good in 2022.  He wasn’t.  Also I have argued with the notion Sam’s 6 game stretch  should or can be all that is discussed when talking about if he should occupy a roster spot going forward.  It can’t be.    

You have taken issue with those arguments, correct? 

Past is relevant when talking the future though.  Sam’s prior play.  All of it.  As well as the stench of the horrific Rhule era lingering still.  Cam could sniff out the stink both times we brought him to Carolina.  We need new folks in the most important room IMO.   Need the right mentality and people. Especially from the vet spot in the QB room.