• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade 9 for Fields - straight up?

musicman

Just now, ForJimmy said:

As a fan I love watching games in the tough weather. However I understand why players feel differently. It has to hurt getting tackled in the freezing cold…

I've played in the freezing cold. Everything hurts.

Hitting someone is almost as bad as being hit. And anyone who handles or kicks the football will tell you it's like a damn rock.

You gotta figure if it's bad at a high school level, you can only imagine what it's like for professionals.

• Pie 1

Fields was drafted higher than that. Trading a lower first for a qb that has yet to develop and still stinks as a passer….that’s crap we did over the last 3 years. No thanks. Just draft until you hit. 

and it’s only been 2 years in the league and he has missed time because of being hurt.   

Edited by Panthers Fan 69

The only people that believe Fields is an All-Pro caliber QB are those in the fantasy football community because he puts up rushing statistics. He hasn’t evolved as a passer. Mitch Trubisky had better passing numbers than him at this point. Yes, his weapons stink but he hasn’t shown any capability of making the throws required to be a decent QB. He hasn’t comprehended what an open window is in the NFL. No, don’t trade for this guy. 

I would not trade the 9 pick for any QB that is currently, or possibly available. If we sign a QB, it needs to be a FA. NO TRADES!! We need the draft capital. If Carr would sign a 2yr deal, I think that would put us in the best position to win now. We get to develop and see what we have in Corrall in those 2 years, if we don't see enough to keep him, then we can worry about drafting a QB.  Right now, we need players on the edge, a LB or 2, a premier TE, and probably another starting CB. And it might not be a bad idea to try and draft another RB. 

4 hours ago, Varking said:

Ughh did you see what the team did after drafting him? Gave him no reps with the ones, started Dalton over him, got rid of Allen Robinson, got rid of an offensive lineman named James Daniels who gave up no sacks this year in Pitt, got rid of every player on the defensive front seven who was even league average…like they gutted the roster and somehow this is surprising that they are losing?

It's saying things like "got rid of Allen Robinson" near the top of your list that make it sound very much like you're starting with your conclusion and then formulating your argument as you go.  Allen Robinson was very unproductive last year (400 yards and 1 TD) and has continued to look unproductive this year in an entirely different offense.  That's quite the reach to be attributing, even in part, his departure to Fields' struggles.  And yeah I get it, the Bears' D was pretty awful even without a caveat...but when your offense leads the league in 3-and-outs, it's also naturally making the defense's job more difficult.

I'm not surprised they're "losing", but my bar for a franchise QB is certainly higher than "worst team in the league after 2 seasons".  Again, I want to see someone who elevates the rest of the team.  A guy who proves he can win in spite of his lackluster supporting cast, not someone who loses because of them.  A franchise QB is the most important position on the team as many have stated year after year after year...I want to see a guy who is capable of putting his team on his back to will his team to victory.  Otherwise if he needs a strong supporting cast around him to win, then you're basically just talking about a JAG game manager.  Maybe your definition of franchise QB is different from my definition.

I said it's a red flag to find yourself constantly providing a laundry list of excuses as to why your supposed franchise QB is failing to produce wins, and your response was to do exactly that.  So I'm guessing I'm not the one you're trying to convince here.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Fields was drafted higher than that. Trading a lower first for a qb that has yet to develop and still stinks as a passer….that’s crap we did over the last 3 years. No thanks. Just draft until you hit. 

and it’s only been 2 years in the league and he has missed time because of being hurt.   

in Fields first true year as the starter he did near historic stuff on the ground....and managed a better comp %, TD %, INT % than virtually every season Cam Newton played in Carolina.  With no talent. 

The problem isn't Fields.  You put young QBs in horrific spots and you aren't going to win and they are going to look bad often.  Especially when asked to be everything.  I think the Fields criticism remains way over the top.  He isn't what they have gotten wrong.  2 years in and they haven't done diddly for him.  

Take a young Cam and a young Fields.  Cam was in a fantastic spot early on vs Fields.   A dream scenario in reality if you compare a 2011 vs a 2022. 

9 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I'm not surprised they're "losing", but my bar for a franchise QB is certainly higher than "worst team in the league after 2 seasons".  Again, I want to see someone who elevates the rest of the team.  A guy who proves he can win in spite of his lackluster supporting cast, not someone who loses because of them. 

Trevor couldn't elevate diddly squat with a bad scheme, weak coaching and zero talent.  He was called a bust.  Horrible. 

Change the coach, scheme and talent and suddenly they go IMMEDIATELY from worst team in the NFL to winning a playoff game.  That's no Trevor.  That's everything around him. 

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s like Lawrence struggling and his team finishing last. Or when Pederson kept pulling/playing Hurts and they finished with 4 wins. On a side note people should check how similar Hurts numbers were with Fields.

I'm glad you brought up Lawrence cause he's actually a good basis for comparison.  Jags went from 1-15 (pre Lawrence) to 3-14 to 9-8.  That's exactly the type of impact/trajectory I would expect a franchise QB to make on his team.  I'll admit last year I still considered Lawrence a question mark because his team experienced minimal improvement, but I think he has proven himself in his second year.  I also think it's way too premature to formulate a conclusion based on one season, which is why I'm looking at the 2-year trajectory. 

You also see guys like Christian Kirk and Zay Jones experiencing career years catching passes from Lawrence.  That's what I mean when I say I want a franchise QB elevating his team around him.  You don't see guys having career years catching passes from Fields; if anything, you see a significant drop in production...but it's too soon to say.  Like I said, this will be a very telling 3rd season for Fields.  Well I guess depending on the types of moves the Bears make in their offseason to help him out.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Trevor couldn't elevate diddly squat with a bad scheme, weak coaching and zero talent.  He was called a bust.  Horrible. 

Change the coach, scheme and talent and suddenly they go IMMEDIATELY from worst team in the NFL to winning a playoff game.  That's no Trevor.  That's everything around him. 

Just look at Stafford at the Lions vs Rams. 0 playoff wins vs Super Bowl winner in one year. It’s a team sport and everyone knows that. 
The Bears got dominated by the Jets in the one games Fields didn’t play 31-10. They were 0-1 without him starting last year.