• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anybody still not on board?

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of Ben Johnson...

From the article...

In an appearance on a team podcast, Johnson said that a visit to a Brooks concert at Ford Field early in his tenure helped convince him that there were still things he wants to accomplish as part of head coach Dan Campbell’s staff.

“I was thinking at the time and soaking in the atmosphere, and it was like, ‘Holy cow, this is what a home playoff game is going to be like, and this is what I want to be a part of. This is what I want to feel. This is what I want to experience.’ Johnson said. “It made me feel some type of way and I kept going back to that as part of the process and you know what, there are so many good things going on here. So many good people, coaches, players, I love the offensive staff and everyone we have on board there. I love the players. I love coming into work every day. Coach Campbell is incredible, and so end of the day talking with my family it just made sense. Don’t ruin a good thing.”

So It wasn't anything about his interviews or the Panthers organization that sent him back to Detroit. It was a Garth Brooks concert.

That's a strange reason to stay. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, Mr. Scot said:

There were complaints and criticism from some posters when it was announced that Frank Reich was the choice at head coach.

I'm curious whether that still exists or if those who questioned the decision have come around...

I wasn't mad about the actual hire.  I was mad at the optics of the search process.  I like what Reich has done but we still don't know what's happening at QB and the team hasn't taken the field yet.   So while optimistic this is too early to give a grade.

I'm always on board. My only hesitation is this whole "reunion" vibe they're putting off. Idk if that's ever worked or been done before. Seems like something to lean on when times get tough. I have zero patience or interest in that. Don't show me old images of coaches / players. Show me fugging W's. I also worry about how long some of these guys are looking to coach, (Capers, Cauldwell, Reich) they old.

And then I worry about the young rising stars of this coaching staff. The league has an issue, coordinators are getting swooped up way too fast. I almost feel bad for the Eagles for getting raided and losing their coordinators so quickly. There should be some sort of rule where you have to trade picks for a coach until they've coached for X amount of years.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Going to be an interesting year. QB is key but with all of the coaching brought in, will they be patient with a top rookie or demand a high priced bet like Carr? Is the entire coaching staff willing to stick it out a bit? I know Wills went 6-6 but we had an east division and schedule. The difference talent wise between elite teams and us is still there.

I like the coaches but I worry that expectations are sky high now and present decisions will be made to the detriment of the future. Hopefully, we pull the right QB and the rest is history. 

I share your concern.  As fans, the natural tendency is to see a budding dynasty at the first sign of progress, especially when signs of progress have been few and far between in the recent past (or even beyond).

It's not a seven-year process, but it is also not a seven-day process (or seven-week or even month).  If we turn it into one of those by jumping the gun chasing quick fixes, we are going to go down the same path as we did under The Process and Hurney before him. 

Anybody that watched Sunday's Owl and did not walk away realizing the gap between those two teams and us was sizeable is fooling themselves. 

We need a QB and improvement in other positions to close that gap.  The question is how we go about filling those needs. 

I have a lot of hope/faith this coaching staff recognizes that for what it is. 

I also have some hope our owner has learned from past mistakes.  He got carried away early in the reign of terror of Rhule and we tried to run before we were ready to walk.  Predictably, we ended up on our faces, although that was admittedly a combination of not being ready to run and a brain that had no idea how to run.....or walk for that matter.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I share your concern.  As fans, the natural tendency is to see a budding dynasty at the first sign of progress, especially when signs of progress have been few and far between in the recent past (or even beyond).

It's not a seven-year process, but it is also not a seven-day process (or seven-week or even month).  If we turn it into one of those by jumping the gun chasing quick fixes, we are going to go down the same path as we did under The Process and Hurney before him. 

Anybody that watched Sunday's Owl and did not walk away realizing the gap between those two teams and us was sizeable is fooling themselves. 

We need a QB and improvement in other positions to close that gap.  The question is how we go about filling those needs. 

I have a lot of hope/faith this coaching staff recognizes that for what it is. 

I also have some hope our owner has learned from past mistakes.  He got carried away early in the reign of terror of Rhule and we tried to run before we were ready to walk.  Predictably, we ended up on our faces, although that was admittedly a combination of not being ready to run and a brain that had no idea how to run.....or walk for that matter.

My hunch, they are going to be both impatient and patient....meaning I do think that we grab a capable vet, draft a QB at 9, depending on who is there, and throw them in the blender with Corral and see if we can both win games now, and train up their idea of a "franchise QB".

We certainly aren't ready to win playoff games, but I do think that we are ready for a playoff push.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

My hunch, they are going to be both impatient and patient....meaning I do think that we grab a capable vet, draft a QB at 9, depending on who is there, and throw them in the blender with Corral and see if we can both win games now, and train up their idea of a "franchise QB".

We certainly aren't ready to win playoff games, but I do think that we are ready for a playoff push.

I just hope they don't break the bank going for the vet, and I agree with that plan.  Carr sounds great, but probably not at a cost Carr will want or get.  Brissett is probably more along the lines of what we should be looking to invest, unless they think Carr is "the guy."

Some balance between patience and impatience is prudent.  Impatience got us Darnold.  Patience got us an extra partial year of The Process.

There was an annual publication about the NFL years back (like in the 70's), maybe by the Sporting News, that carried an article about new coaches and how to build a team.  The title was "Patience is a Virtue, Just Don't Wait Too Long."  That still applies after all these years.

The thing I see about the coaching staff we are assembling is that beyond the seasoned vets, there are young guys who may be poached, but also could be the line of succession if they do produce a winner.  Especially with an older HC, knowing his replacement is probably in house is a huge plus.

• Pie 1