• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting twist regarding Lamar Jackson...

Proudiddy

Just now, thefuzz said:

They have 2.  Tied with the Steelers, KC, and Giants for 2nd place behind the Patriots during that time.

Yea, "in todays NFL" if you want more than that over a 23 year period, you need an unremarkable white pocket passer and to call New England home.

Sure, but that's actually more than two decades which is what I thought that we were talking about. It's been awhile. 

Perhaps ironically, they paid Flacco, but refuse to pay Jackson. They should've let Flacco walk.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Sure, but that's actually more than two decades which is what I thought that we were talking about. It's been awhile. 

Perhaps ironically, they paid Flacco, but refuse to pay Jackson. They should've let Flacco walk.

It's not ironic, it's what actually happened.  They paid him, and can't replicate the success after.  They have seen this writing on the wall and want to avoid it again.

Just saying, you can't poo poo the Ravens in the last 2 decades, one of the very best teams out there, and have done it with average and below average QB play.  Honestly, it's the only team to be able to do that in the NFL.  No reason for them to think otherwise.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, SOJA said:

If you're telling me I get Lamar Jackson for two first round picks (regardless of the size of the contract) I'm sprinting to that deal. It makes so much sense for us. 

except this team's coaching staff is being built to groom a rookie QB.

42 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Jackson's biggest concern is injury, point blank and simple. And, yes, I have mentioned that in relation to his contractual expectations (if not in this thread, then the other one). 

Carr is Carr. He's had good coaches (or at least ones that know QBs in particular), and he's had weapons, especially this past season. He's 32 years old and seems to have a limited ceiling. I believe his ceiling is good, but not great. I don't believe that he can put a team on his shoulders and will them to victory like a true franchise QB can. If he could do it, he'd have probably done it already, especially this past year when he had the best receiver in the game, a top three TE, a top RB, and others. His career passer rating is 91.8. No one is going to mistake Carr for being on Lamar Jackson's level (no one serioa anyway). 

The Ravens would sign Lamar Jackson in a heartbeat if they could get to the right number (provided that Jackson still wants to be there). The Raiders dumped Carr like yesterday's leftovers. It's not that hard to figure out why someone would be excited about Jackson and not so excited about Carr. If your goal is "maybe getting into the playoffs," then Carr is your man. If your goal is to try and actually compete for Super Bowls, then Jackson is your guy hands down.

Gruden and McDaniels good head coaches?

Yeah, sure😕

All of this again fails to factor in that while the Ravens have been a smartly run team, The Raiders have been a train wreck from ownership on down the line.

As mentioned in the other thread, learn from what smart teams do; don't repeat the mistakes of dumb ones.

23 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I just don't see it. If Baltimore isn't willing to guarantee him $200M+ with no draft pics involved, why would another team trade away 2 1st round picks to pay him that much? Maybe before the Watson and Wilson deals, those are looking like a couple of horrible decisions. Is his mom still technically his agent?

Exactly. When an organization is willing to move on from a franchise caliber QB, red flags need to be flying. More often than not, in hindsight it was obvious why.

• Pie 2

52 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

If that's accurate, then that's just over $22 million/year. I don't think he is worth $40 mil a year, but that does feel low to me. I can't see him going for less than $30 mil avg per year on the open market.

The Raven's offer seems to recognize Lamar's unrealized potential, while also recognizing the likelihood of significant down time due to injury. 

If the Ravens get a healthy Lamar for a full 4 years out of 6 they'll be lucky.  In that scenario, he'll be receiving the equivalent of 33 million a year for his play.  That's about right in today's market for his production.  If Lamar surprises everyone and remains healthy these next few seasons and wins a few more playoff games, I'd anticipate the Ravens would be more than open to renegotiating his contract.   

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I haven't read it or seen it anywhere else across the numerous threads, but was listening to ESPN radio while taking the kids to school, and they shared that Peter King said the Ravens are very likely to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamar, meaning it would only require the contract plus 2 first-round picks. That's also very different than the "windfall of picks" stuff we heard about previously.

It seems a more realistic possibility than the "windfall" talk.  Still, giving up the picks plus the mega contract is scary for a team trying to build out its roster, but does that change how you feel about the possibility of Jackson?

I think someone is going to find out that his injuries are worse than appears and his recovery isn't where it should be. I hope we steer way clear of this or we could be sitting in the dunce seat like the Broncos have been this past season.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Just saying, you can't poo poo the Ravens in the last 2 decades, one of the very best teams out there, and have done it with average and below average QB play. 

Especially not while also suggesting that the Raiders have made smart decisions 😳

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gruden and McDaniels good head coaches?

Yeah, sure😕

All of this again fails to factor in that while the Ravens have been a smartly run team, The Raiders have been a train wreck from ownership on down the line.

As mentioned in the other thread, learn from what smart teams do; don't repeat the mistakes of dumb ones.

Yeah, Gruden knows his stuff. As you know, he wasn't let go for football reasons. 

McDaniels made The Golden Calf of Bristol look competent. 

Yeah, if they don't want Carr, I don't either.

This is a new time with a "new" league and new rules. Old thinking isn't necessarily going to get you where you want to go.  You assemble smart minds together and come up with your own smart ways to get to where you want to go. You become that which everyone else wants to try and emulate.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, Gruden knows his stuff. As you know, he wasn't let go for football reasons. 

Yeah, if they don't want Carr, I don't either.

This is a new time with a "new" league and new rules. Old thinking isn't necessarily going to get you where you want to go.  You assemble smart minds together and come up with your own smart ways to get to where you want to go. You become that which everyone else wants to try and emulate.

In other words, you do the opposite of the Raiders 😳

If that's whose wisdom you're trusting, yikes 😬

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No he didn't. I went to all but two Broncos home games that year because the company I worked for had a suite and I was the only CO based employee so I got the tickets by default unless some big wig was in town on vacation and wanted them.

The Golden Calf of Bristol looked like trash running the base offense. He'd work his magic in the two minute drill. You just can't get a coach to build an offense where every play basically amounts to "scramble drill on three, break".