• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting twist regarding Lamar Jackson...

Proudiddy

3 years ago, Patrick Mahomes signed for $45mil per year with $63mil guaranteed at signing. 

I’d be happy to throw a $35-40mil per year, long-term deal at Lamar IF after 3 years much of it is baked into roster bonuses like the Mahomes contract. Everyone is bringing up the Watson, Murray, and Wilson deals. I think it’s logical to ask why he deserves more guaranteed money than the best QB in the league. 

19 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

3 years ago, Patrick Mahomes signed for $45mil per year with $63mil guaranteed at signing. 

I’d be happy to throw a $35-40mil per year, long-term deal at Lamar IF after 3 years much of it is baked into roster bonuses like the Mahomes contract. Everyone is bringing up the Watson, Murray, and Wilson deals. I think it’s logical to ask why he deserves more guaranteed money than the best QB in the league. 

Aaron Rodgers makes 60mil this year and he's 39.

Lamar is 26 and you're asking why does he want 40+ mil a year.

Make it makes sense.

Going to be interesting to see if Burrow, Allen, Herbert get the same treatment when they get their contracts...

12 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Aaron Rodgers makes 60mil this year and he's 39.

Lamar is 26 and you're asking why does he want 40+ mil a year.

Make it makes sense.

Going to be interesting to see if Burrow, Allen, Herbert get the same treatment when they get their contracts...

I’m asking why he wants more guaranteed than Mahomes, and with his style of play and durability concerns, it seems the Ravens are taking a smart approach. 

That’s my last comment to you on this topic as you clearly can’t avoid bringing race into every discussion. 

Edited by ECHornet

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I’m asking why he wants more guaranteed than Mahomes, and with his style of play and durability concerns, it seems the Ravens are taking a smart approach. 

That’s my last comment to you on this topic as you clearly can’t avoid bringing race into every discussion. 

The same reason Watson asked for more, the same reason Rodgers asked for more.

18 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He does not want the Watson contract fully guaranteed!

He just wants more fully guaranteed money than the Ravens offered him. The Ravens ended negotiations after they gave him a final offer of 133mil guaranteed.

People are ignoring this key detail and just saying Lamar wants the Watson contract fully guaranteed and that's just not true. This is a NFL franchise trying to take advantage of a player being represented by his mom. The thing we should be discussing is why are the Ravens low balling that kind of player?

133 mil was their final offer for Lamar. That's just disrespectful.

$133 million guaranteed for a guy who is touching and possibly running the ball on any and every play is plenty enough. He may think it's disrespectful based on what he's done, but what will he do over the life of the contract is the question? 

Lamar is a guy who will need talent around him. Hell, they only beat the Panthers 13-3 with a guy who wants $180 to $200 million full guaranteed. If you're paying a QB what Lamar wants, you better be winning those games and performing well, which he didn't.

Again, as he ages, running is going tobdrop off and injuries are going to increase. If he had the arm of Mike Vick maybe you bite the bullet but I'd put PJ Walker up against Lamar in a passing competition.

34 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

$133 million guaranteed for a guy who is touching and possibly running the ball on any and every play is plenty enough. He may think it's disrespectful based on what he's done, but what will he do over the life of the contract is the question? 

Lamar is a guy who will need talent around him. Hell, they only beat the Panthers 13-3 with a guy who wants $180 to $200 million full guaranteed. If you're paying a QB what Lamar wants, you better be winning those games and performing well, which he didn't.

Again, as he ages, running is going tobdrop off and injuries are going to increase. If he had the arm of Mike Vick maybe you bite the bullet but I'd put PJ Walker up against Lamar in a passing competition.

First time seeing a running QB?

So according to you Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen shouldn't get paid either.

36 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Let's just let other teams fight over and overpay for Lamar. Good guy, good player, too rich, too risky for our blood at this time.

The players teams fight over are usually the game changing players.

What we gonna do wait on Carr who nobody seems to be really pursuing right now?

12 hours ago, ECHornet said:

Well, not that you'll like the answer, it's simply the nature of things. All the best QBs get their turn being the highest or close to the highest paid because of the difference in time---the difference in salary cap---circumstance. If they're really good they'll get to bite off that apple two or three times. TV contracts and the salary cap is only going up.

Wouldn't Montana or Bradshaw love to come up in this golden egg era?

Edited by top dawg

29 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

First time seeing a running QB?

So according to you Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen shouldn't get paid either.

He doesn’t know what he is talking about. “Lamar needs talent around him” yeah his offense is so stacked with a TE and no other weapons. Who is the best WR Lamar’s played with? 
Keep in mind this guy thinks Icky is a bust and we should have drafted Aqeel Glass last year who is backup on the USFL now…

48 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, not that you'll like the answer, it's simply the nature of things. All the best QBs get their turn being the highest or close to the highest paid because of the difference in time---the difference in salary cap---circumstance. If they're really good they'll get to bite off that apple two or three times. TV contracts and the salary cap is only going up.

Wouldn't Montana or Bradshaw love to come up in this golden egg era?

Yea, it’s crazy to look back at what used to be. I understand those differences. 

I also think Lamar’s last couple of years should be heavily considered in the negotiations, and not just his former MVP tag. Apparently, the Ravens agree. 

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

The players teams fight over are usually the game changing players.

What we gonna do wait on Carr who nobody seems to be really pursuing right now?

I dunno, a lot of folks fought over Watson this past year. Wilson probably got some attention. 

Sometimes you work hard to bring in a crowd of suckers to sell a lame horse and someone walks out thinking they bought a thoroughbred just to find out they got hosed.

This may well be one of those times, or it might not. The cost of it being one of those times far, far outweighs the rewards right now. 

If he were truly life-changing and perfectly healthy, the team that has built its entire offense around him and made its entire coaching plan based on getting the most out of him would pony up whatever it took to make him happy and keep the ball rolling along.

They haven't succeeded in doing that yet. That should give us pause right there. Lamar is a great player, but his style of play requires a team built to suit his skill set, just like Cam Newton did in his day, too. Those teams are harder to build than one for a more traditional pocket passer. 

And they are very hard to build from scratch if one sixth or more of your salary cap is tied up in one guy's contract.

• Pie 1