• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carr Watch

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So why didn’t we even ask?

I'm sure they will at some point if they are interested.  Most of the staff are still moving into their offices. Their first full staff meeting hasn't happened yet. Whatever they have planned for FA will be decided after our current players are evaluated which just started. Even if they were interested Carr is in no rush to sign with anyone so who do we have to be in a rush to show interest?  If we really want him we will sign him.

• Pie 1

Though I prefer to go younger and think our staff has "QB retread PTSD", I never did consider if Carr is in a similar situation to Stafford in Detroit. 

LAR gave up several draft picks to bring in an older vet on a shitty team. We wouldn't give any assets up and could bring him into a similar McVay/O'Connell/Brown situation. 

Plus, we get to keep our #9 + other draft picks not surrendered to move up. 

I'll trust Reich & Co. to make the right call. 

As a casual fan, I couldn't tell you what if any interest the Panthers might have in Derek Carr.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina drafts a QB this year AND brings in a vet as well.  I suspect much of what will eventually happen, when it comes to free agents and the draft, hasn't even been discussed, much less decided on by our new staff.

I will say, as fan/follower of the Raiders for the last 50 years, that they're a mess and have been for the better part of two decades.  Their defense has ranked between 29th and 32nd in just about every meaningful category during Carr's time with the team. 

Carr's numbers have been negatively impacted by an historically bad defense.  A defense that forces him to take chances QBs with better teams wouldn't have to consider taking. 

I seriously doubt Carr ends up with Carolina, simply because there are other teams further along in their development and better positioned to take advantage of what Carr has to offer.  If he does somehow end up with the Panthers, I'm confident he will positively change many doubters minds about his abilities.    

Another point on Carr was that he was not good last season.   Very poor actually.  It sounds great saving the picks and such but you may be getting a guy that is very much like Darnold who is very expensive and declining.  I keep waffling because I want this division next season but we can win it some other way.

I really think it will be a big risk regardless because we are probably looking at Levis or Richardson as options.  Give me Levis but we will be giving up next years 1 barring a miracle and I don’t like those odds.

Honestly, Lamar’s contract demands price me out there as well

Edited by Shocker

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

He's going to let the market set his contract worth.  He may very well get 40+ mil per season somewhere.  I'm just not sure we are one of those teams. 

If Lamar is traded he will set the market IMO.  I mean the market is Deshaun Watsons deal which is honestly ludicrous 

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Another point on Carr was that he was not good last season.   Very poor actually.  It sounds great saving the picks and such but you may be getting a guy that is very much like Darnold who is very expensive and declining.  I keep waffling because I want this division next season but we can win it some other way.

I really think it will be a big risk regardless because we are probably looking at Levis or Richardson as options.  Give me Levis but we will be giving up next years 1 barring a miracle and I don’t like those odds.

If we did all this coaching staff work and trade next years 1 to move up for Levis...lol. I'd rather go with Brissett FA and Hooker on day 2 then any of this Carr for $30m+/Trade up for Levis business. 

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

If we did all this coaching staff work and trade next years 1 to move up for Levis...lol. I'd rather go with Brissett FA and Hooker on day 2 then any of this Carr for $30m+/Trade up for Levis business. 

I hear you…as open as we think are options are they are kinda limited considering everything 

• Beer 1

Yeah, Carr looked horrible last season.  Worrisome until you realize McDaniels took away Carr's ablility to change plays at the line last year.  Derek is well known for his late game winning drives and that was taken away from him thanks to McDaniels who has a history of destroying teams as HC.

McDaniels and Mark Davis are a lethal dose of Dumb and Dumber.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

People saying Carr will get 40mil + lol

Then they complain about Lamar getting paid.

Make it makes sense...

• Beer 1

If Lamar is traded he will set the market IMO.  I mean the market is Deshaun Watsons deal which is honestly ludicrous 

The market is what a team is willing to pay for that specific player.  It doesn't mean that every FA qb that comes after is worth that much.  They may think they are as Lamar is about to find out but that doesn't mean every team out there is lining up to give him that and more. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

The market is what a team is willing to pay for that specific player.  It doesn't mean that every FA qb that comes after is worth that much.  They may think they are as Lamar is about to find out but that doesn't mean every team out there is lining up to give him that and more. 

I guarantee you other teams will pay Lamar that money.

The Ravens have always been cheap with their players.

You think teams went after Deshaun Watson and his baggage off the field but you think Lamar wont get the same treatment?

Cmon guys don't overthink this. Lamar is definitely getting paid it will just be from another team. Atlanta will definitely give him the Watson contract.

12 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, Carr looked horrible last season.  Worrisome until you realize McDaniels took away Carr's ablility to change plays at the line last year.  Derek is well known for his late game winning drives and that was taken away from him thanks to McDaniels who has a history of destroying teams as HC.

McDaniels and Mark Davis are a lethal dose of Dumb and Dumber.

I know but Reich did this in Indy and we did the exact same here…making the excuses that the other teams are lame and terrible and we can fix em.  It has not worked outside of Stafford who worked out in LA for a multitude of reasons.