• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how successful are the Panther TEs?

MHS831

I randomly selected a TE from the starting NFL TE list, and the TE with the #13 receiving grade was chosen (the 11th ranked TE overall in this PFF analysis)--Evan Engram of Jacksonville.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022-tight-end-rankings

To make this fair, I compared his numbers to not only Ian Thomas, but threw in Tommy Tremble, Stephen Sullivan, and even Giovanni Ricci, a TE/FB special teamer.

Cumulatively, the TE position for the 2022 Carolina Panthers

• Ian Thomas (21 receptions, 197 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Tommy Tremble (19 receptions, 174 yards, 3 TDs)
  • Stephen Sullivan (2 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Giovanni Ricci (8 receptions, 100 yards, 0 TDs)

All Panther TEs: 50 Receptions (2.94 per game), 517 yards (30.4 per game) and 3 TDs (basically, an extra point per game)

Evan Engram:     86 receptions (5.56 per game), 914 yards (53.76 per game) and 6 TDs (over 2 points per game)

Andrew Yang Neon GIF by Josh Rigling

Engram nearly doubled the production of the entire Panther TE roster.  And now you know!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I randomly selected a TE from the starting NFL TE list, and the TE with the #13 receiving grade was chosen (the 11th ranked TE overall in this PFF analysis)--Evan Engram of Jacksonville.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022-tight-end-rankings

To make this fair, I compared his numbers to not only Ian Thomas, but threw in Tommy Tremble, Stephen Sullivan, and even Giovanni Ricci, a TE/FB special teamer.

Cumulatively, the TE position for the 2022 Carolina Panthers

• Ian Thomas (21 receptions, 197 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Tommy Tremble (19 receptions, 174 yards, 3 TDs)
  • Stephen Sullivan (2 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Giovanni Ricci (8 receptions, 100 yards, 0 TDs)

All Panther TEs: 50 Receptions (2.94 per game), 517 yards (30.4 per game) and 3 TDs (basically, an extra point per game)

Evan Engram:     86 receptions (5.56 per game), 914 yards (53.76 per game) and 6 TDs (over 2 points per game)

Andrew Yang Neon GIF by Josh Rigling

Engram nearly doubled the production of the entire Panther TE roster.  And now you know!

But you have to also look at the context. I know that it may not be completely right, but I have to take the Rhule effect into (heavily-weighted) account. 

I did give you pie for Andrew Yang though. 

I still want to draft a more complete TE though, very much so.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But you have to also look at the context. I know that it may not be completely right, but I have to take the Rhule effect into (heavily-weighted) account. 

I did give you pie for Andrew Yang though. 

I still want to draft a more complete TE though, very much so.

There are so many variables, and Andrew Yang should be on our staff--are you reading this Tepper?

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Our TEs are trash. The whole unit is comprised of guys who should be scrapping to make a roster as the 3rd TE.

I think Tremble could be a #3 TE, blocking back (FB)--we loved his blocking at Notre Dame, and then we put Ricci in that role.  I dunno.  Thomas' contract was nearly as dumb as the Anderson contract, causing me to lose faith in Fitterer (but I do not think he had much choice in the case of Thomas)

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think Tremble could be a #3 TE, blocking back (FB)--we loved his blocking at Notre Dame, and then we put Ricci in that role.  I dunno.  Thomas' contract was nearly as dumb as the Anderson contract, causing me to lose faith in Fitterer (but I do not think he had much choice in the case of Thomas)

I think Fitts miscalculated pretty badly on Thomas. He definitely talked up his speed and potential. I think he thought he was getting a potentially elite TE on a bargain.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Keep Tremble. Replace the rest. Draft one day 2 and pick up one in FA.

This would my preference. Thomas post-June 1st cut, sign someone in FA (maybe Gesicki) to start, draft someone to develop (there's at least 6 or 7 guys in this draft that look like future potential starters), keep Tremble as #3.

• Pie 1