• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers to aggressive pursue trade up to get a QB

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Or stick at 9 and pick up one of those sliding 'Top 5' talents because everyone else has lost their damn minds.

it feels like this every year though, doesn't it? you have 2 guys by merit who should be 1-2 in my mind in Stroud and Young. Then you have 2 "tools" guys in Richardson and Levis that are making QB needy teams salivate while watching Derek Carr get a $90 million contract and Geno Smith get $40 guaranteed over 3 years. We can't afford to lose the musical chairs game this season, again, and have to go with a patchwork starter for the 4th consecutive season with Bridgewater, Darnold, Mayfield, and ....Wentz? The veterans are finding homes fast and furious. If we don't get our starter in the draft, which excludes all but Young, Stroud, and a big maybe on Levis... you don't have a starter. AR will certainly take a redshirt season and I am about 50/50 on Levis, but the other 2 should likely be in the mix for Week 1. We need one of those guys. 

Some of you seem to think Fitterer got a timeline reset on his job when this new staff came in

He didn’t 

It’s a big reason why he didn’t trade Burns at the deadline. He needs to win this year and his chances are better with Burns than with picks he won’t be here to use if he doesn’t win

• Beer 1

I have a feeling the Panthers unzipped their fly too soon. I think I would have kept that comment about "doing whatever it takes" to myself. Now everyone knows they will pay any price to trade up. They are in a tough spot with negotiating a reasonable trade package now.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I have a feeling the Panthers unzipped their fly too soon. I think I would have kept that comment about "doing whatever it takes" to themselves. Now everyone knows they will pay any price to trade up. They are in a tough spot with negotiating a reasonable trade package now.

Could already be in the works, but I agree.

This is a LOT of smoke though...might be fire, may not be?

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

If you are scared to take calculated risks based on you best insights you shouldn’t be a GM in the first place. Always playing it safe won’t allow you to win much in this league.

Playing it 'safe' = playing it smart.

The smart teams are consistently the best ones.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, SameDamnThing said:

it feels like this every year though, doesn't it? you have 2 guys by merit who should be 1-2 in my mind in Stroud and Young. Then you have 2 "tools" guys in Richardson and Levis that are making QB needy teams salivate while watching Derek Carr get a $90 million contract and Geno Smith get $40 guaranteed over 3 years. We can't afford to lose the musical chairs game this season, again, and have to go with a patchwork starter for the 4th consecutive season with Bridgewater, Darnold, Mayfield, and ....Wentz? The veterans are finding homes fast and furious. If we don't get our starter in the draft, which excludes all but Young, Stroud, and a big maybe on Levis... you don't have a starter. AR will certainly take a redshirt season and I am about 50/50 on Levis, but the other 2 should likely be in the mix for Week 1. We need one of those guys. 

I don't think Levis is more talented than Darnold - and I don't think he has a better College resume either.

We don't NEED to Draft a first round QB, that's how you cripple your franchise. We'd very much like to I'm sure, but I hope we don't get caught up in our emotions on this and do something stupid.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Some of you seem to think Fitterer got a timeline reset on his job when this new staff came in

He didn’t 

It’s a big reason why he didn’t trade Burns at the deadline. He needs to win this year and his chances are better with Burns than with picks he won’t be here to use if he doesn’t win

Funnily enough if he had traded Burns for that absurd offer he'd have much more ammunition to go up and get the QB Reich et al wants...

Realistically he should have been fired on the spot for turning down that trade.

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Playing it 'safe' = playing it smart.

The smart teams are consistently the best ones.

There are no consistently smart teams.

Patriots were that team until Brady left them.

Chiefs smart? Not really they just have the best QB in the NFL.

Rams won a SB last year. They were one of the worst teams in the league this past year.

Who exactly are the smart teams you're talking about?

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Could already be in the works, but I agree.

This is a LOT of smoke though...might be fire, may not be?

It's hard to guage anything this time of year. There's so much smoke out there right now. But the Panthers have kinda backed themselves in the corner on this qb search.  I do not see how they get out of it without surrendering a butt load of draft picks.

• Pie 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

It's hard to guage anything this time of year. There's so much smoke out there right now. But the Panthers have kinda backed themselves in the corner on this qb search.  I do not see how they get out of it without surrendering a butt load of draft picks.

Going to crack up if we don't end up going QB!

Just now, OldhamA said:

I don't think Levis is more talented than Darnold - and I don't think he has a better College resume either.

We don't NEED to Draft a first round QB, that's how you cripple your franchise. We'd very much like to I'm sure, but I hope we don't get caught up in our emotions on this and do something stupid.

It's weird, because talent only plays a portion of the formula for a QB. Darnold has good mobility and a good arm. Levis has a "once-in-a-draft" type velocity and effortless deep ball. But if we deduce that Levis has more gumption and composure than Darnold, he's already 50% more likely to be better. Darnold reminds me a bit of David Carr when he got here after playing for the Texans and getting railroaded. Tons of arm talent, decent mobility, pretty smart kid... but all of that wasn't enough to offset the shell shock of having played several years for the Texans without an OL and getting the snot beat out of him. 

I think selective aggression is what the smart teams do. We have played the BPA game over QB a number of years in a row when it seemed like we should have made that pick. Fields is an example. If we decide collectively that this is the year of the QB, we have to go for it in my opinion. You're rarely in the conversation to get the best QB in the draft and from where we are, we can potentially make that happen. 

I think announcing their intentions this way, Carolina was sending a message that they were going to heavily compete for any place to move up the draft board and if a team like the Saints, Jets, Seahawks, etc. were thinking of moving up, they might want to reconsider with our commitment to unloading the clip. Sending out the vibe we're going to make a nutso offer can help eliminate competition and help that nutso offer be a little less nutso. 

• Pie 3