• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Poles trying to drive up the cost of the #1 pick

NAS

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Of course I know it's a huge risk. Who doesn't realize this?

You know what else is a huge risk if you're Fitts? Sitting at #9. Sit at #9 and end up having to reach on say your #4 QB and if he flounders you're probably fired.

The Panthers are operating like they fully plan on this being out last top 10 pick for awhile.

The fallacy of not getting a franchise QB outside the top 10 is strong here.  Why?  Where did this come from?  I see it time and time again.  I will say this for the umteenth time--there is NO generational QB in this draft.  IF there was, I might be on board with moving up.  That said, I do not see the necessity to move up.  Most of the best QBs in the NFL are not, I repeat NOT #1 overall or even top three selections.  So even if we are in the teens next year as our draft slot, we might only have to move inside the top 10 (see only TWO first rounders, not THREE) to get the guy we want.

This artificial pressure to get our rookie QB this year is simply impatient fans.  Hopefully the staff is weighing all their options and staying away form the Huddle. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

Just now, 45catfan said:

This artificial pressure to get our rookie QB this year is simply impatient fans.  Hopefully the staff is weighing all their options and staying away form the Huddle. 

I think Tepper and Fitterer are even more impatient than us.  It's happening this year, we're drafting a QB in the first round.

• Pie 3
  • The D 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

Possibly, even probably.  I just hope it's at #9 and not any higher.

I think this happens if they sign Derek Carr or another vet QB and draft a 'prospect' at #9 like Anthony Richardson.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, NAS said:

“Should we do this before free agency? Or should we wait?” he said. “I don’t know. That’s what I’ve communicated [to teams]. I could carry this all the way until we’re on the clock the night of the draft. But then there’s teams that want some certainty because, ‘If I need a quarterback bad, should I do that now when some of these guys, like Derek Carr, are out there?’ To me, they’ve got to go so much more above to do it now.

“I’m not greedy with it. But they’re gonna have to go above and beyond to close the door now.”

It’s crazy this year that there’s not a no-doubt quarterback in the group, yet there could be a frenzy to get to number one. Houston (picking two and 12), Indianapolis (four), Vegas (seven) and Carolina (nine), and possibly Tennessee (11) or Seattle (five), could all engage Poles aggressively. For Poles, and for the recently star-crossed Bears, this pick could plant the first-round seeds for a long-term rebuild. A much-needed one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/06/ryan-poles-chicago-bears-nfl-combine-draft-peter-king-fmia/

There are two no doubt QBs. Just because you refuse to believe that doesn’t mean they aren’t there. 

• Pie 3

27 minutes ago, NAS said:

I think Fitterer put it in perspective last week during the press conference.  If you trade up and mortgage your future, you better have really strong conviction about the QB you're draft.  I honestly think only CJ Stroud is the pick that would warrant that risk.

If you take away the size issue (and that is a significant issue) then Bryce Young is (in my opinion) the best QB in the draft.  He can improvise, throw WRs open, and he is very intelligent.  Stroud is not far behind if behind at all.  The other two?  Risky as hell.

• Pie 2

43 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Lol, and us being the furthest back of the QB needy teams to move up would have to give up a TON to go to #1, but I'm getting flack for suggesting we stay put at #9.

Some of you guys would give up your first born child to move to #1. 

You apparently like having this team with no QB. Stay at 9 makes no sense. At 9 we won’t get a QB and if we do he fell to 9 for a reason. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

It is called 3 years without a franchise QB. It isn’t artificial. 
I hope they stay away from thinking like yours. Because you are content with mediocrity. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

You apparently like having this team with no QB. Stay at 9 makes no sense. At 9 we won’t get a QB and if we do he fell to 9 for a reason. 

Such as the actual NFL professional scouts/coaches don't buy into sports writers and fan hype?

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The fallacy of not getting a franchise QB outside the top 10 is strong here.  Why?  Where did this come from?  I see it time and time again.  I will say this for the umteenth time--there is NO generational QB in this draft.  IF there was, I might be on board with moving up.  That said, I do not see the necessity to move up.  Most of the best QBs in the NFL are not, I repeat NOT #1 overall or even top three selections.  So even if we are in the teens next year as our draft slot, we might only have to move inside the top 10 (see only TWO first rounders, not THREE) to get the guy we want.

You're talking in absolutes about draft prospects. That's the #1 fallacy of any draft conversation.

19 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I sense that the pressure is coming from Tepper and we are predicting what they might do and adding our opinions.  I see your point, and that is what makes this agonizing.  When you say, there is no generational talent in this draft, you see this draft as others saw Wilson, Lance, and maybe Fields in 2021?  I see that. On the other hand, I see a player like Justin Herbert getting drafted at #8 (2020) and we sat there, when moving up would have cost us a first rounder at best.  I did not think Josh Allen was a generational talent.  I thought Goff was going to be generational talent.  I cannot gauge QB talent. 

Edited by MHS831