• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ravens can’t be this dumb? They’re a smart organization right?

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Yes, they are that dumb. Like I advised last week, this is NOT Ozzie Newsome's Ravens. Eric DeCosta has not proved to be on Newsome's level. If they let Jackson get away, they will be screwed. Mark my words.

If they give him a 5 year fully guaranteed contract they will be screwed. Dude can't stay healthy

Just now, t96 said:

If they give him a 5 year fully guaranteed contract they will be screwed. Dude can't stay healthy

Well, we'll see. Few stay 100 percent healthy. The belief is that he could have played through the latest injury, had he been paid...In my opinion, you can't let your franchise QB get away. Injuries are a part of sports, so unless it's something career-ending, just pay your players early in order to get the best value because the salary cap is essentially ever-increasing.

29 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, we'll see. Few stay 100 percent healthy. The belief is that he could have played through the latest injury, had he been paid...In my opinion, you can't let your franchise QB get away. Injuries are a part of sports, so unless it's something career-ending, just pay your players early in order to get the best value because the salary cap is essentially ever-increasing.

Man, he plays recklessly, it's part of why he's so damn good. And if the bolded is actually true then that's an even bigger red flag than injuries. Skipping playoffs when you could've played and your team is a legit contender just because of a contract situation? That's a bitch level move from an alleged "franchise QB." Look at the videos of Mahomes desperately begging Reid to not send him to the locker room when he rolled his ankle. That's what you want out of a franchise QB that you're paying a ton of $$ to.

Just speculation from me...

I think we will be a serious suitor for Lamar if he gets the non exclusive franchise tag.

That means only 2 1st round picks and we have to pay Lamar. Something about this staff we put together tells me they are aiming big. Frank doesn't have much time coaching left. He wants a SB. If we are going all in for a QB this will be something we will pursue.

Again this is only if he gets the non exclusive tag.

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

That's what you want out of a franchise QB that you're paying a ton of $$ to.

But the Ravens weren't paying him a ton of money. KC took care of Mahomes.

It's OK if we disagree, but I don't think that Lamar plays recklessly. I think he actually plays pretty smartly. I don't see him trying to truck people out on the field, or taking unnecessary hits. Sure,  he runs a lot, but is that just because he likes to run, or is it because he hasn't had great skill players (or a combination of both)? In my opinion, he's proven to be a pretty smart player. 

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

But the Ravens weren't paying him a ton of money. KC took care of Mahomes.

It's OK if we disagree, but I don't think that Lamar plays recklessly. I think he actually plays pretty smartly. I don't see him trying to truck people out on the field, or taking unnecessary hits. Sure,  

Fair that Mahomes already had his big contract but with him I don't think that makes any difference whatsoever. He's committed to and fully invested in winning. He signed a team friendly deal with pretty damn low guarantees for the best player in the world by far. By all accounts he was never worried about his contract or difficult he's just all about ball. I can't say the same for Lamar.

It's the nature of being a running QB, which he 100% is. He takes a ton of hits. Both in and outside the pocket. That stuff adds up, and the hits he takes aren't curling up in a ball protecting himself like a Brady or Matt Ryan would do. They come from all different angles in all different situations which is not good for longevity. He's now let his team with championship aspirations down the past 2 seasons by being hurt and even before that he has never performed well in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Fair that Mahomes already had his big contract but with him I don't think that makes any difference whatsoever. He's committed to and fully invested in winning. He signed a team friendly deal with pretty damn low guarantees for the best player in the world by far. By all accounts he was never worried about his contract or difficult he's just all about ball. I can't say the same for Lamar.

It's the nature of being a running QB, which he 100% is. He takes a ton of hits. Both in and outside the pocket. That stuff adds up, and the hits he takes aren't curling up in a ball protecting himself like a Brady or Matt Ryan would do. They come from all different angles in all different situations which is not good for longevity. He's now let his team with championship aspirations down the past 2 seasons by being hurt and even before that he has never performed well in the playoffs.

Mahomes earned about 20m in endorsement deals in 2022. That number is going to go up. Winning gets you paid off the field too, making it easier to take a lower salary because you still end up in the same spot. 

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Mahomes earned about 20m in endorsement deals in 2022. That number is going to go up. Winning gets you paid off the field too, making it easier to take a lower salary because you still end up in the same spot. 

tell Lamar that

• Pie 2

I just don't think they're going to do it, but if they do, they have a screw loose. On the draft capital front, you could get Lamar cheaper than you could move up to one. For all you Lamar haters, you don't think Dave Tepper won't be licking his chops (and it won't be for ketchup-covered steak)?

Edited by top dawg

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I just don't think they're going to do it, but if they do, they have a screw loose. On the draft capital front, you could get Lamar cheaper than you could move up to one. For all you Lamar haters, you don't think Dave Tepper won't be licking his chops (and it won't be for ketchup-covered steak)?

I don't hate Lamar. I think it's highly possible he's made some very questionable decisions. If you factor in his injury history, and I think you have to, would you be willing to pay him 50m or more per season, knowing you may very well need a Brissett type backup at another 10-15m just to finish out the year and possible playoff run? I don't give 2 shits if Tepper is licking his chops. If Tepper is picking our QB again (Watson), we might as well bring Matt fuging Rhule back. 

• Pie 1

Everyone wants to get paid what they think they are worth. The trouble is your employer may not think you are worth that to have you doing that job. Especially if you are living up to the job expectations your employer set out for you.

Lamar is about to find out what someone is willing to pay him to do the same job. If he doesn't live up to those expectations after that then that employer will question whether the Ravens weren't right all along.

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Smartest thing the Ravens could have done.

Bravo.

Lamar has a 75% win percentage as a starter.

Lamar is in the same situation as Cam. Franchise ask them to do it by yourself don't get him weapons than when it's time to pay they give you a joke of an offer 133mil guaranteed.

Lamar now says since you guys don't want to give me weapons just give me all my money.

I think they are going to let him test the market and if a team offers him more than they are willing to pay he's gone.

• Pie 1