• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Rich Eisen: “The Bears are long down the road to trading the first overall pick. The teams have been identified, compensation is being hammered out.”

Varking

4 minutes ago, d-dave said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens with the number 1 pick, the Panthers, or anything else.

I can see both the idea of trading up, picks be damned, for a franchise changer QB.  I can also see being patient and waiting for the draft to come to them.

I have no clue what will happen.  This is a really good staff, so I'm curious to see if they are willing to bet their jobs on CJ Stroud, Will Levis or Anthony Richardson...

They are shopping for a QB, and if they all agree on one, they will go get him and the price will be what they will pay.  So I agree.

I think there is already a sign that we like a QB in this draft because we did not really pursue Carr and we have not shown Darnold interest.  I think they have a guy---or two---or three that they feel comfortable with.

And to all of you who have dismissed Young because he is small--Doug Flutie was this size.  Kyler Murray is this size.  Russell Wilson is 5'11. Sonny Jurgeson was 5'11.  Not many to choose from, but the new NFL may not depend on height as much as we are conditioned to think.  While they may not be the most successful QBs in the league, I guess the point is, it has been done, but the population size is rather small (pun intended).

FWIW, Reich and McCown are 6' 4".

Another addendum to my excellent points about short QBs: Escapabilty matters--can the QB break out of a collapsing pocket and make a play?  Young has proven to be excellent at this, as is Russell Wilson.

Brees was 6 feet tall at best, and not really that good at breaking away from the pocket and making plays--although he did it to us it seems.  He was very good at avoiding pressure within the pocket.  Young has shown that ability as well.

Here is a good article about it:  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-qb1-why-bryce-youngs-size-shouldnt-scare-away-nfl-suitors

If you remember, the Saints are part of the reason Guard and Center salaries skyrocketed in free agency--they started paying them.  Brees was not getting out of the pocket much, and facial pressure was his Achilles' heel--he was excellent at stepping up into the pocket to avoid edge rushers. Their tackles, as a result, would protect inside out.  Their RBs pass protected the same way--inside out, not as worried about the edge as most.  Our OL seems better (but not as good as the Saints was in Brees reign).

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

They are shopping for a QB, and if they all agree on one, they will go get him and the price will be what they will pay.  So I agree.

I think there is already a sign that we like a QB in this draft because we did not really pursue Carr and we have not shown Darnold interest.  I think they have a guy---or two---or three that they feel comfortable with.

And to all of you who have dismissed Young because he is small--Doug Flutie was this size.  Kyler Murray is this size.  Russell Wilson is 5'11. Sonny Jurgeson was 5'11.  Not many to choose from, but the new NFL may not depend on height as much as we are conditioned to think.  While they may not be the most successful QBs in the league, I guess the point is, it has been done, but the population size is rather small (pun intended).

FWIW, Reich and McCown are 6' 4".

It’s the weight in todays football most people are concerned with. Not the height. He’s tiny. He weighed in at 203 or 204 and didn’t run any drills because that’s not his playing weight and didn’t want his numbers to suffer. At 190 pounds he’s got the be the smallest starting QB by a wide margin. The types of tackles he spins out of in college he’s not getting out of in the NFL and those plays are going to sing him up. 

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Fitt said in his presser at the combine that they have been in contact with Darnold and his agent. 

TY.  Frankly, that is probably a smart move.  He is young and could still develop.  At worst, he is a bridge.  I would say that the team learned how to use him last year with Wilks.   Not the way that makes you a super bowl team, but in a way that you don't beat yourselves against similar opponents.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

It’s the weight in todays football most people are concerned with. Not the height. He’s tiny. He weighed in at 203 or 204 and didn’t run any drills because that’s not his playing weight and didn’t want his numbers to suffer. At 190 pounds he’s got the be the smallest starting QB by a wide margin. The types of tackles he spins out of in college he’s not getting out of in the NFL and those plays are going to sing him up. 

It bothers me too.  In my head I was thinking 204 (Brees was 209 I think) but he was in perfect place to gain weight before the combine.  at 190, yikes. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

16 hours ago, Brent Gregory said:

In a very bad qb  year this is the nightmare unfolding before our eyes. The most polished qb is a little person and the most gifted athlete can't hit a broad side of a barn. The other 2 aren't remotely worth giving up future needed picks. Letting Carr get away left Carolina in a horrible situation.  Now they're gonna franchise the future for a qb who most likely will go down the road of Darnold, Fields, Mayfield etc....

Spitting truth and fire here. Nice first post! Bold, man.

• Poo 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

TY.  Frankly, that is probably a smart move.  He is young and could still develop.  At worst, he is a bridge.  I would say that the team learned how to use him last year with Wilks.   Not the way that makes you a super bowl team, but in a way that you don't beat yourselves against similar opponents.

I full expect Darnold to be our bridge. He is the right guy for it. He is humble, good for the locker room, and understands his role. 

One of the podcast I was listening toward the end of the year they were talking about Darnold. They went as far as to say that Darnold may become one of the best backups in the league before its all said and done. I honestly think it was the Steve Smith podcast, but I could be wrong. 

Apparently, Sam learned a lot from McCown. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I full expect Darnold to be our bridge. He is the right guy for it. He is humble, good for the locker room, and understands his role. 

One of the podcast I was listening toward the end of the year they were talking about Darnold. They went as far as to say that Darnold may become one of the best backups in the league before its all said and done. I honestly think it was the Steve Smith podcast, but I could be wrong. 

Apparently, Sam learned a lot from McCown. 

To me, there is no shame being a backup in the NFL. He is so young, it could allow him to develop and he could be starting somewhere at age 27 or so.  His issue is mental--whether that be processing or confidence, I dunno.  But you make a great point-he is humble and will work team first.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

To me, there is no shame being a backup in the NFL. He is so young, it could allow him to develop and he could be starting somewhere at age 27 or so.  His issue is mental--whether that be processing or confidence, I dunno.  But you make a great point-he is humble and will work team first.

Spot on.

Remember Derek Anderson? Yes, he was significantly older when he came to Carolina, but he was a very good backup to Cam in so many ways.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1

Y’all are wild with the Young doubt. 

He was projected by many to weigh ~185lbs at the combine. Once he showed he can put on weight, now it’s not his “playing weight.” Ridiculous. He’s 21 years old. It’s plausible his playing weight could be 215lbs in his sophomore year. 

He’s the best at playing QB in this draft. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Y’all are wild with the Young doubt. 

He was projected by many to weigh ~185lbs at the combine. Once he showed he can put on weight, now it’s not his “playing weight.” Ridiculous. He’s 21 years old. It’s plausible his playing weight could be 215lbs in his sophomore year. 

He’s the best at playing QB in this draft. 

yeah this has been a thing around here for a while. People get so laughably consumed in whatever picture they saw or video they watched that it borders on an outright rejection of the evidence. It’s only outpaced by the medical savants who jump in to tell you whose being “rushed back.”

he’ll probably end up coalescing at about that weight after an nfl offseason regimen 

• Beer 1