• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you ask from Houston?

Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, this makes no sense at all.

It is most definitely possible for a team to place equal value on two players, regardless of position. It happens plenty.

Again, same value and not being able to decide between the two players is different.

You can have the same value on two players but still make a decision which to draft without a literal coin flip.

And that's my point, the HC/GM should be able to make that decision, and if they can make that decision, then I'm taking that guy 100 times out of 100 instead of trading down to 2 and letting the Texans choose who they want first.  When it comes to QB, I want the guy that for whatever reason, we'd have selected over the other guy.

But if a HC/GM can't make a decision on a QB with 6 weeks of dedicated evaluating, without literally flipping a coin, then they don't deserve those jobs.

Edited by tukafan21

Just now, tukafan21 said:

Again, same value and not being able to decide between the two players is different.

You can have the same value on two players but still make a decision which to draft without a literal coin flip.

And that's my point, the HC/GM should be able to make that decision, and if they can make that decision, then I'm taking that guy 100 times out of 100 instead of trading down to 2 and letting the Texans choose who they want first.

But if a HC/GM can't make a decision on a QB with 6 weeks of dedicated evaluating, without literally flipping a coin, then they don't deserve those jobs.

Yeah sorry dude, this is a dumb take.

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Hmm, what are the chances this fanciful topic was nothing more than a way for a sports writer to generate clicks and appear busy for his employer without putting in too much effort?

Not much, really. Person isn't the only guy reporting it.

Multiple people on the Panthers beat have said the same thing based on the word of a team source.

And it's not like it was a crux of something they were reporting. It was just included an articles about the trade.

Also, I know people are assuming the trade up to one means there's only one guy they're targeting, but that's fanthink, not reality.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah sorry dude, this is a dumb take.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it, because you haven't given any.

Let's say for the sake of argument, teams have the exact "same grade" on two players when their pick is up.

Are you saying they can't make a decision on which player to draft because they have the "same grade"?

If so, how do they make that decision?

As long as they're not literally flipping a coin to make the decision, they found a way to distinguish between the two players with the "same grade" in some way, maybe it's age, or size, or personality, or how they think they'll fit with the rest of the players on the team.  

For me, when it comes to QB and we have our choice between taking one of them or letting someone else make the decision for us and we gain say a 2nd round pick to let them make that call, I'm taking the one that we found a way to rank above the other every single time.

If we're talking about any other position, then yea, I'll take the trade down, but not with QB, you take the one that you found a way to rank them above the other.

But if they literally have to flip a coin to make that call because they just can't find a way to rank one above the other, then that to me shows too poor of a decision making process to deserve to be an NFL HC or GM.  

You can disagree with my feelings on the position, but I don't think there is any way that can be considered a "dumb take" as it's rooted in reasoning.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How?

The team ahead of you, regardless of who they are or even whether they trade to someone else, can only draft a single player.

If you have two players you like equally and you pick second, you're guaranteed one of the two.

The key is if you truly like 2 players equally. I find it hard to believe that at the end of 45 days and many conversations the brain trust of the Panthers will not have a consensus on who they want at #1. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, DamnItJake! said:

Lol!! I know.. I was going to post something else.. and I decided just to rag on Houston cuz I wouldn’t trade back

Technically Bob/Cal McNair's version of the Texans isn't the original Texans.

The team that originally went by "Houston Texans" is now the Kansas City Chiefs.

(and they're significantly better than version 2.0)

Controlling the #1 pick means controlling the draft. From the timing of the rumors the Panthers brain trust saw enough from CJ at the combine to move up and on from DJ. At the worst, they get the guy they want. 

But that doesn’t preclude another target or targets moving up after pro days. I think the talk about moving back down just is an honest answer that they aren’t done scouting the pick. 

Just now, tukafan21 said:

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it, because you haven't given any.

Let's say for the sake of argument, teams have the exact "same grade" on two players when their pick is up.

Are you saying they can't make a decision on which player to draft because they have the "same grade"?

If so, how do they make that decision?

As long as they're not literally flipping a coin to make the decision, they found a way to distinguish between the two players with the "same grade" in some way, maybe it's age, or size, or personality, or how they think they'll fit with the rest of the players on the team.  

For me, when it comes to QB and we have our choice between taking one of them or letting someone else make the decision for us and we gain say a 2nd round pick to let them make that call, I'm taking the one that we found a way to rank above the other every single time.

If we're talking about any other position, then yea, I'll take the trade down, but not with QB, you take the one that you found a way to rank them above the other.

But if they literally have to flip a coin to make that call because they just can't find a way to rank one above the other, then that to me shows too poor of a decision making process to deserve to be an NFL HC or GM.  

You can disagree with my feelings on the position, but I don't think there is any way that can be considered a "dumb take" as it's rooted in reasoning.

I've given you plenty.

You don't get it.

Teams have equal grades on players all the time. What typically separates one from the other in a case like that is a combo of positional value, need, etc. But that doesn't apply here because we're talking about players at the same position.

In a case like this, a team will ultimately choose one. That does not however mean they couldn't be equally happy with the other.

And acting as if that means someone can't be trusted to do their job has taken this from simple discussion into the realm of the ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Technically Bob/Cal McNair's version of the Texans isn't the original Texans.

The team that originally went by "Houston Texans" is now the Kansas City Chiefs.

(and they're significantly better than version 2.0)

So they were the Texans before the Oilers?

4 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

The key is if you truly like 2 players equally. I find it hard to believe that at the end of 45 days and many conversations the brain trust of the Panthers will not have a consensus on who they want at #1. 

We're not at the end of 45 days and many conversations right now. We're at the beginning of it. And right now, per multiple sources, they like more than one guy.

They very well may narrow it down to one guy between now and Draft Day, but it is actually possible that as the day draws near, they still have two guys on equal footing.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, DamnItJake! said:

So they were the Texans before the Oilers?

The Oilers became the Titans.

I think there were a couple of other names between the Texans and the Chiefs (early NFL teams could be a lot more mobile than their modern counterparts).

Edit: Looked it up. I had the city wrong. They were the Dallas Texans. They became the Kansas City Chiefs in 1963.

Edited by Mr. Scot