• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you ask from Houston?

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Who cares what spot they were taken if you think they're both franchise quarterbacks?

Getting a franchise quarterback is great. Getting a franchise quarterback and another great player is better.

But that's my issue, Scot.  I'm not a scout or FO guy, but I've had a pretty phenomenal background projecting greatness here over the years before we picked, and I could be wrong, but I do NOT think Bryce Young is a franchise QB.  Apparently people in our building do.  I disagree.  I could see him getting off to a quick start and then regressing to a baseline of middling career starter to a floor of Seneca Wallace.

To me, if we're at #1 or #2, it's gotta be Stroud or bust.  If they're wanting Stroud or even considering him an option, I'm not trading.  

• Pie 5

I would say that there is no way 2 people this different (size) would be totally even after another month of research.  The ONLY way I would do this is if I was willing to take the lesser of two with the early second rounder, and if I thought it was probable that the Texans would not take the player #1 on my board.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

How do you know Huston would not trade back out of the 1st? How do you know they have 2 they would be happy with?  They will have only one that they will choose when it comes time. Everyone is speculating there are a couple to cover their ass for when their predictions are wrong.

What does it matter what the Texans do if you're picking second?

As to how they know, it's in the tweet (team source).

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not his opinion. Person's getting it from a team source (others have said the same).

Mind you, that's now. If, after they've gone through the full pre-draft process they only like one, then the situation changes.

Damn.  I thought he was just speculating.  Then again, we could just be posturing through Person to bait the Texans into a deal.

I wouldn't trade the pick. We will favour one of the QBs more than the other. Something will set one apart from the other, even if it's marginal. Why risk the Texans picking the guy you ultimately wanted?

I don't think the Texans will trade up anyway. If our staff are of the opinion that the top 2 are both franchise quarterbacks then it's pretty likely most other organisations would have the same opinion. There'd be no need for the Texans to give up any picks when they can stay where they are and get a franchise quarterback.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I would add this:
If the Panthers liked 2 QBs in this draft, knowing that the Colts would be trading up and the Texans were going QB, moving up to #3 makes no sense.  So it is possible they could be fine with either, if it means that a second round pick (#32, I think) is available--so I see it, I just do not think that 2 QBs will be even in a month--they will be developing a system, and that system will determine the type of QB they like. 

The deal would have to include an assurance of who they are picking at #1.  As stipulated, if they pick someone other than that or they trade the pick, they are compelled to hire The Process as HC and keep him for at least five years.  Five weeks would probably be enough to get them to commit, but the potential punishment has to be draconian.  Another five years of no hope ought to do that for them.

That said, if you really are going to flip a coin between the two options to decide who to pick, I'd ask for the #12 pick.  The numbers on the pick value chart I looked at have the #1 for the #2 and #12 being a good deal for us. 

Even the #2 and #33 values are higher than the #1.  If their counter was #2 and #33, I'd probably add something in for next year, like a 3rd.  They might not like that, but my job is to create the biggest imbalance in my favor as possible.  Next year's 3rd is negotiable to a 4th, as it is gravy.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

What does it matter what the Texans do if you're picking second?

As to how they know, it's in the tweet (team source).

Why would you want sloppy seconds? I do not follow the logic of this argument.  The Panthers will have one qb they want. They will not be flipping a coin to see which guy they take. This talk is ludicrous. 

• Pie 6