• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bryce Young Thread

Jaxel

17 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Thank you!  That video was extremely helpful (if the info is correct-varying opinions, I'm sure). 

My concern is the "what if we're wrong?" issue. 

If we choose Stroud and we're wrong, we end up with a QB that's not as good as hoped so we have to focus on building a better team around him.

If we choose Bryce and we're wrong, We have another situation like Corral; a QB who can't even be on the field.  If we go this route, I'll be happy to have him, but It'll feel like watching Alex Smith's return.

9 hours ago, shaq said:

I hear you, but I genuinely see Young and Stroud in a whole other tier than Richardson. With Young and Stroud you’re talking about elite and I mean elite production in college, combined with a great combination of intangibles for each of them. Both have their elite trait, ball placement for Stroud and Play extension for Young. Versus Richardson who has 1 year of starting with eh results, as talented as he is why didn’t that translate to the college level, and why would it instead translate to the pros? Also, can’t miss prospects are never able to be traded for like it’s literally impossible to trade up for a Manning or a Lawrence whoever has the #1 pick is taking that guy. These guys have some flaws but they each have a real shot to be franchise QBS.

If you're playing a game tomorrow, sure, but the Draft is about the next 10 years. 

Richardson is raw and has limited experience starting, but he improved as the season went on (as you'd expect). He's all about projection - he's unbelievably athletic and clearly has the strongest arm of the group too. 

I do wonder if Young is maxed out - someone that's going to go down as a great College QB, but couldn't translate it into the pros due to his physical limitations. 

My problem with Stroud is that he's a system QB - every Ohio St QB has put up 'wow' numbers in that team (and the murderer's row of WRs he's had to throw to doesn't help evaluating him either!).  There's nothing physically outstanding about him (he basically just checks boxes), so he's much harder to project as being elite at the next level. 

My problem with Bryce was always height. I just wish he was a few inches taller. He does not look over 200 pounds which was a surprised at the combine. 
But Stroud is a statue in the pocket and rarely goes off script. Some of the complaints are similar to Carr. 
On paper, from a pure QB standpoint, Young is the better QB. But that height. Taking a short QB is a risk. 
As I said before I am fine with either QB. I like the potential they both have, which is elite. 
But I will probably flip flop a lot till draft day. 

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Most people bring up Young's size in relation to if he can hold up health wise in the league.  Yet for me it's not only that, I actually believe his size will effect his overall play as a QB in this league.  I'm thinking about the amount of balls that will be swatted out of the air like flies.  Nothing grinds my gears more than seeing a 10 yard pass batted down at the line of scrimmage, and see it intercepted.  I feel that is going to be a regular occurrence for Young at his size.  He's not going to line up in the shotgun 100% of the time like he did in college.  He will be placed under center at times, making him closer to the line, and d-lineman will be licking their chops!

While SEC defenses usually have NFL caliber players, college football is still college football.  You also only stay in college for 3-4 years.  In the NFL, Young will have a 10-15+ year career.  That is plenty of time for NFL defenses to adjust to his play and shut him down if his play is dictated by his size. (By this, I mean if he has to adjust his throwing angle in any way due to his height, or if he has to move around a lot to have clear throwing paths.)

So I mentioned this in another thread, how many top QBs in the NFL are above 6' tall?  How many top QBs in the NFL are under 6' tall?  Based on that answer, you have to draft the guy that fits the model.  You can't screw around with this pick because you think a guy has talent or shown he has talent.  You have to consider talent, size, and what other metrics there is.  Young only ticks the talent metric.

I mean, you just can't gloss over the "talent box." I mean, you can, but that encompasses probably most of what makes a QB great..

I understand your concern about being under center, but Bryce is a super smart and capable guy. I understand your concern about batted balls, but that's never been an issue with Young. You're talking about a guy that has consistently maneuvered inside and outside the pocket with success. 

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I also think Stroud hasn’t reached his full potential yet. I feel like Bryce may be maxed with where his game is at.

This is what puts Stroud slightly ahead. We saw him really grow vs. UGA, and I think his trajectory continues with our staff. I like trading down for Stroud or Young over waiting around and hoping for Levis or AR. Corral might beat both of them out at the qb spot.

20 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, you just can't gloss over the "talent box." I mean, you can, but that encompasses probably most of what makes a QB great..

I understand your concern about being under center, but Bryce is a super smart and capable guy. I understand your concern about batted balls, but that's never been an issue with Young. You're talking about a guy that has consistently maneuvered inside and outside the pocket with success. 

I hear you.  The NFL is just a different beast.  I remember a couple of games this year with Mayfield, and one where he had 8-9 batted passes.  It stunned me because that wasn't something he was known for.  I fear Young may have a good year or two, but then the NFL see something that's specific to his size, and they exploit that for the rest of his career.  

Edited by Matthias

2 hours ago, Ivory Panther said:

I wholeheartedly disagree! Bryce carved a better GA team in 2021 & win their 1st match up.

that 2021 GA Defense was absolutely better than this year. 

Now that is true. Georgia was better last season than this past season, ESPECIALLY the defense. People seem to forget that. 

Edited by top dawg

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No, I'm pretty sure that he's only flat out missed one game overall.during his career.

He left a game early and missed the next right before the UT game right? How many has Stroud missed?

Edited by ForJimmy