• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MJ in talks to sell majority stake of Hornets

carpanfan96

14 hours ago, Wanderlai said:

there were some good times during the Larry/Zo era but my goodness this franchise has been awful since it came back to Charlotte 

Those were fun teams. Hell, it was a fun era of basketball, period. Hopefully the game will evolve back toward that era and away from the current era of jacking threes and drive and flail.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Hopefully MJ won't sell the Hornets to some cash strapped owners.

Shades of George Shinn selling to a group (with Atlanta connections) that ended up moving the team to New Orleans.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but David Tepper has the cash to turn the Hornets into a decent team.  

It was being discussed on reddit that the group talking to MJ are worth less than he is, so yeah, they'll be cash strapped.

20 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

It was being discussed on reddit that the group talking to MJ are worth less than he is, so yeah, they'll be cash strapped.

Damn.

The very least MJ could do at this point is to sell the team to a group that will take the Hornets to the next level.  Cash strapped owners would likely provide a poor product, diminish fan engagement and eventually fall prey to some billionaire looking for an NBA team to relocate. 

Bobcats/Hornets can't seem to catch a break.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Hopefully MJ won't sell the Hornets to some cash strapped owners.

Shades of George Shinn selling to a group (with Atlanta connections) that ended up moving the team to New Orleans.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but David Tepper has the cash to turn the Hornets into a decent team.  

That's not how the NBA works.

The richest owner in the NBA is the Clippers owner.

What have the Clippers won?

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

That's not how the NBA works.

The richest owner in the NBA is the Clippers owner.

What have the Clippers won?

What have the Hornets actually accomplished?

Good cash liquidity is an essential element of building a competitive NBA team.  It can't be done on a shoestring.

If you don't have good cash liquidity, you have no realistic chance.

Want to kill whatever enthusiasm is left for the Hornets in Charlotte?

Bring in an ownership group less financially capable than MJ. 

17 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

What have the Hornets actually accomplished?

Good cash liquidity is an essential element of building a competitive NBA team.  It can't be done on a shoestring.

If you don't have good cash liquidity, you have no realistic chance.

Want to kill whatever enthusiasm is left for the Hornets in Charlotte?

Bring in an ownership group less financially capable than MJ. 

What are you on about my man?

I mentioned nothing about the Hornets. I was telling you the richest owner in the NBA doesn't equal success. You making it seem like getting a richer owner will solve the Hornets problems.

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What are you on about my man?

I mentioned nothing about the Hornets. I was telling you the richest owner in the NBA doesn't equal success. You making it seem like getting a richer owner will solve the Hornets problems.

Woosh!  Right over your head (again).

The Thread's Title:  MJ in talks to sell majority stake of the Hornets.

Stating the Obvious:  Yeah, it takes more than just having money to win, but without it, owners can't compete.

Question:  Why would any fan of the Hornets want cash strapped owners (poorer than MJ)?

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Woosh!  Right over your head (again).

The Thread's Title:  MJ in talks to sell majority stake of the Hornets.

Stating the Obvious:  Yeah, it takes more than just having money to win, but without it, owners can't compete.

Question:  Why would any fan of the Hornets want cash strapped owners (poorer than MJ)?

Then you shouldn't have quoted me.

I said nothing about the Hornets. I was debating your theory that a rich owner solves the Hornets problems of winning. It doesn't.

You need to hire basketball experienced people that understands how to build quality teams and hire a scouting department that knows how to find talent.

As someone who has followed the team closely my entire life, including the bad Bobcats years, the problem is that MJ did not invest into the basketball infrastructure - scouting, analytics, training staff, assistant staff - like most other NBA teams. That is a clear money issue.

That coupled with the fact he has a bunch of yes men friends that have been helping him run the team for a long time means we are well behind the rest of the NBA.

Someone like Tepper who comes in and invests a lot to get the team back up to speed, pay an adequate salary to a good GM and coaching staff, etc. will very much help the franchise.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1