• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just for the sake of discussion, is there a correlation between size and injury?

rayzor

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

Why is 220 lb Tua a comp for Bryce. I can name a bunch of QBs Strouds size that had injury issues. Teddy Bridgewater is almost Strouds size exactly and gets injured almost constantly. Dak missed a year last year due to his hip, Burrow tore his ACL his rookie year.

All size QBs get hurt.

Exactly.  Plenty of big players have had concussion issues.  We have had several unfortunately with Kuechly,  Morgan, and Oher.  So to say Tua has concussion issues entirely because he doesnt weigh enough could be entirely inaccurate. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. When he showed up at the Combine to do nothing but step on a scale at 200+ and then didn't weigh in again at his Pro Day when he was actually going to go through drills that told me all I needed to know. His playing weight is significantly lighter than that 204 Combine weight.

That's kind of how I feel and I really didn't think it was a question, but people keep saying he plays at 200 plus.  Hell he was still on his "diet" when he ate dinner with our staff.  

6 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

I agree with this but I think more people should look at Flutie (5’9” 180lbs) as they only and best comparison.

You already pointed out that the small QBs of today are bigger than Young and play differently. I think Young is a better version in every way than Flutie who basically never really got injured and played for a long time and had a great career (mostly in the CFL).

I think that’s the best argument FOR Young and discussing his size from the perspective that it’s NOT a big concern…or not a bigger concern than anyone else.

Thats totally fine, I just dont generally like to focus on one player samples. Honestly if that was just a bullet point on Young's negatives I dont even mind. Sure it can be a concern. I'm not even fully team Young I think he does have some concerns I'm not sure how they translate, but I just think people are completely discounting a player based on things that arent based on fact either way and its silly.

Edited by stan786

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That's kind of how I feel and I really didn't think it was a question, but people keep saying he plays at 200 plus.  Hell he was still on his "diet" when he ate dinner with our staff.  

Dude lived in that hoody at the Combine. He was probably hiding the pudge. He definitely porked up for that weigh in. Probably ate his way up to around 200 then chugged water before he hopped on the scales to make sure he came in comfortably over 200. He's been shedding the fat off ever since. Ah, to have that early 20s metabolism again... 😂

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I will say this too.  He seems very good at taking hits as funny as that sounds.  I noticed he really kind of gives himself up and kind of absorbs the hit.  Those type of hits are usually pretty mild.  Someone on here compared it to drunk drivers rarely getting as injured because their bodies are relaxes the whole time.  I also think his size is going to limit some of our play calling, but if he excels at what he does I am not sure that matters as much.  

it makes sense. flexibility i think is a huge factor.

like i think that Levis is actually going to be more prone to injury than Young because he's just a weight lifting gym rat who is lacking flexibility. I've seen several speak to this regarding Levis.

The heavier and also the more rigid you are, the more likely you are going to get hurt. 

19 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Honest question.  Do you really think his playing weight is above 200?  

Yes. I think he hovers around 200-204lbs on a weekly basis. I'm taking his weigh in at the combine as evidence. I'm further convinced after hearing TJ Houshmandzadeh, who Bryce has trained with and seen daily, mention that Bryce weighs over 200 on a daily basis. He's also my height and his arms and shoulders are holding more muscle mass. I weigh 190.

I think Young will spend the majority of his NFL career playing at a weight between 208-215lbs. 

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

like i think that Levis is actually going to be more prone to injury than Young because he's just a weight lifting gym rat who is lacking flexibility. I've seen several speak to this regarding Levis.

The heavier and also the more rigid you are, the more likely you are going to get hurt. 

Levis also has a history of nagging injuries and constantly throws his body into defenders when running. I totally agree with this.

18 minutes ago, stan786 said:

I'm arguing that its alright to argue he's an outlier of a QB and that is a large risk, that small QBs havent been able to do it in the past because a number of reasons.  I am saying there is zero data that shows that smaller or lighter players get injured in any more drastic fashion than any other sized QB.  I would like to know what is the magic number that instantly makes Bryce so much more injury prone and why is that the case.

I would like this board to elevate their discussions from a place of "I know hes going to get hurt end of arguement" to actually discussing the pluses and minuses of the players.

There really isn’t enough data to know.

Is a 90 pound middle school girl more likely to get injured playing QB in the NFL…yep. That puts an increased injury risk somewhere between 90 pounds and 200. Who knows what the cut off actually is.

Avoiding hits like Brees and Brady will be key for Bryce. That and stacking the OLine like NE and NO always did.

Bryce has the one thing QBs need to be successful. A fast processing brain. Stroud has more question marks there.

If you take a bet, I think I lean towards betting on the brain instead of betting on the body.

Its a tough decision.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's a real big question mark.  I have seen many top picks have great elusiveness in college, but not so much in the NFL.  If we draft him I will definitely be holding my breath when a Myles Garrett lands on him.  Now if he can keep that elusiveness then he could be special.

I'm not sure about that whole pocket passer increasing injury risk.  Peyton, Eli, Rivers, Brady, and Brees were pocket passers that were quick to get the ball out and they rarely got hurt.  Cam had no left tackle and held the ball too long (probably due to his elusiveness).  I've seen a lot of these pocket guys simply throw the ball away when pressure gets rough to live to fight another day which isn't a bad thing...

the thing is, they had to learn to adapt. their lack of mobility made them a target so they had to learn to get the ball out quicker. Young seems to be able to get the ball out quickly and also sense and evade incoming defenders and hits.

he's adapted not being able to see over huge linemen by scrambling around and getting his own viewing lanes but also knowing where everyone is supposed to be at any given point during a play. It makes sense that he would be able to adapt to other limitations he has, like being much smaller than the defenders wanting to bring him down. 

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Oh, I get it. Go full ragdoll and you won't get hurt.

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It was reported he had shrimp and salad, right? You're contending he was bulking with that? 

That's almost as silly as the guy who said Bryce probably drank 10-15 bottles of water before weighing in. If y'all don't want us to draft Young, just say so. You don't have to create reasons with your imagination if you just prefer Stroud.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

There really isn’t enough data to know.

Is a 90 pound middle school girl more likely to get injured playing QB in the NFL…yep. That puts an increased injury risk somewhere between 90 pounds and 200. Who knows what the cut off actually is.

Avoiding hits like Brees and Brady will be key for Bryce. That and stacking the OLine like NE and NO always did.

Bryce has the one thing QBs need to be successful. A fast processing brain. Stroud has more question marks there.

If you take a bet, I think I lean towards betting on the brain instead of betting on the body.

Its a tough decision.

Yup we just dont know there is no guarantee for anything. I'm sure there is some level that ends up being the clear marker for increased injury chance as well, I think they probably would have at least shown their penchant for injury by now if they were going to be obscenely injury prone though.