• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan orlovsky on AR post pro day

raleigh-panther

6 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

“Think” 

That is the key word. 

My guess would be his pro team will build a heavily run based offense around him to minimize his weaknesses.

It might work for a bit, but we had a similar thing with Newton. Atlanta and Wade Phillips showed everyone how to beat it.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My guess would be his pro team will build a heavily run based offense around him to minimize his weaknesses.

It might work for a bit, but we had a similar thing with Newton. Atlanta and Wade Phillips showed everyone how to beat it.

Yeah I have read something similar. But it seems like Reich wants a QB that is more pocket passer and only has to rely on his legs if he has too. 
That sounds more like Stroud and Young to me. 
As you said, Richardson, at least in his rookie year if he plays, will pretty much be a running back who occasionally passes. I have seen people say we should go to a triple option type of system. But that doesn’t work in the NFL. Players are too fast and diagnose plays too quickly. 

46 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's a Gators fan, he'll have seen more of Richardson than any of us.

Kentucky (a good defence btw) was Richardson's 3rd ever career start (I think he started a game as a Redshirt Freshman). Even then he's pulling out throws like this: 

*this video is difficult to watch - there's 3 legit terrible drops immediately after that incredible throw 

The deal that people seem to be missing about Richardson is that it's not what he currently is that people are drafting, it's what he's got a chance of becoming. That isn't 'pie in the sky' potential either based purely on his measurables, you can visibly see him improve throughout the 2022 season and his pocket presence / processing is one of the more impressive things about him. 

If he doesn't progress a lick from where he is now he's still a second round pick and an NFL starter - a big armed QB with a nice deep ball that you'd lean on heavily in the running game (until he inevitably broke).

As I've repeatedly said, I think it's all a moot point 'cos we're most likely taking Stroud, but Richardson is the only QB I get excited about in this Draft. 

His worst completion % of the year came his final game - that doesn’t scream improvement to me.  

idk - I just think he will be out of the league in a few years.  He screams Terrelle Pryor to me.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Yeah I have read something similar. But it seems like Reich wants a QB that is more pocket passer and only has to rely on his legs if he has too. 
That sounds more like Stroud and Young to me. 
As you said, Richardson, at least in his rookie year if he plays, will pretty much be a running back who occasionally passes. I have seen people say we should go to a triple option type of system. But that doesn’t work in the NFL. Players are too fast and diagnose plays too quickly. 

One of his specific comments was "At some point, you have to be able to win the game from the pocket."

So yeah...

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of his specific comments was "At some point, you have to be able to win the game from the pocket."

So yeah...

He's literally a pocket QB.

Are people genuinely seeing his 40 yard time and thinking "well he's clearly a run first QB"? 'Cos that's not what he shows on tape. 

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

His worst completion % of the year came his final game - that doesn’t scream improvement to me.  

idk - I just think he will be out of the league in a few years.  He screams Terrelle Pryor to me.  

As a QB prospect he's the outstanding one in this Draft - his highlights tape is by far the best, and it's only 13 games or so. He has poor / lazy footwork, but that's fixable - I posted in the Pro Day thread about how it's mainly his short accuracy that drags his completion percentage down (well that and his awful receivers - @Varking how the hell does #1 Pearsall see the field at Florida?!).

The key for him will be his personality - I've no idea what it's like. He says he wants to be the best in interviews with the media, but you'd need to do a much deeper dive to convince me. I think the only way he busts is if he tries to coast on his talent and is happy with that initial pay cheque.

I think he's already made a wise decision leaving Florida after 1 year - he wasn't getting good coaching there and was surrounded by awful receiving talent. If he commits to improving his mechanics then he's going to be a terrifying prospect for (I sadly assume) AFC South teams twice every year for the next decade... but admittedly we said that about Newton, so who knows. 

52 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's literally a pocket QB.

Are people genuinely seeing his 40 yard time and thinking "well he's clearly a run first QB"? 'Cos that's not what he shows on tape. 

It's not his strength.

Pretty much everything I've read about Richardson includes some form of one specific word: inconsistency.

That's something that short circuits an awful lot of guys at the pro level, and I suspect it'll short circuit Richardson as well.

Bottom line for me...

CJ Stroud is a quarterback with pro level skills.

Bryce Young is a smaller quarterback with pro level skills.

Anthony Richardson is an athlete that you're going to have to teach how to play quarterback at the pro level.

Will Levis is the same thing as Anthony Richardson.

Give me the guy that's already got the skill set and has a better frame to handle the punishment.

Edited by Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Atlanta and Wade Phillips showed everyone how to beat it.

I honestly don't think it's that simple. There's a reason why Mike Shula has never had another OC opportunity. The guy simply could not adjust on the fly at all. Cam in his prime floated that turd as a play caller and I think the NFL at large knows this.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly don't think it's that simple. There's a reason why Mike Shula has never had another OC opportunity. The guy simply could not adjust on the fly at all. Cam in his prime floated that turd as a play caller and I think the NFL at large knows this.

It wasn't just the ability to adjust on the fly.

Pretty much anyone who comes up with a new wrinkle is going to go up against someone else who finds a way to beat it. What you have to be able to do then is turn around and tweak it or find something else to make your attack effective again.

Shula had plenty of time both after Atlanta and after the Super Bowl to find some new things to add to his offense and make it work again.

Even with a whole offseason to plan, he couldn't do it.

I still say he's good as a QB coach, but I'd never want him as an OC again.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It wasn't just the ability to adjust on the fly.

Pretty much anyone who comes up with a new wrinkle is going to go up against someone else who finds a way to beat it. What you have to be able to do then is turn around and tweak it or find something else to make your attack effective again.

Shula had plenty of time both after Atlanta and after the Super Bowl to find some new things to add to his offense and make it work again.

Even with a whole offseason to plan, he couldn't do it.

I still say he's good as a QB coach, but I'd never want him as an OC again.

Yep. The guy just isn't an OC. I do credit him for helping Cam transition to the NFL but I can't help but wonder what we could've gotten out of Cam if we'd had a guy like Norv Turner take over and Chudzinski was hired away by the Browns.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. The guy just isn't an OC. I do credit him for helping Cam transition to the NFL but I can't help but wonder what we could've gotten out of Cam if we'd had a guy like Norv Turner take over and Chudzinski was hired away by the Browns.

Have pondered the same many many times...

14 hours ago, The Lobo said:

I normally think Dan O sucks and I can’t stand to listen to him (he did say Kyle Allen was the future) but the only reason I give him a listen now, is because he was almost hired by Reich to coach on this team. Maybe he has some insider info, maybe when he was interviewed or talked to, he got an idea of what the team was looking for? Regardless, right when we traded up, he immediately thought it was for AR, he’s been hinting at this for some time. 

I still don’t think we will draft him, although I want us to, ultimately I am ok with all three…in case anyone wanted to know lol.

I promise this isn’t me lol, but this is close to what I was saying. 

There are definite signs that Orlovsky is full of sh-t.

For one, at the time frame he was talking about there wouldn't have been much of a plan in place because the coaching staff was still coming together.

I do think it's likely that we talk to him about a role on the staff, but I'm not sure it was as "high up" as he's indicated.

That may have been why he's supposedly declined...if he really did.