• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Different Perspective on the Young vs Stroud Decision

Matthias

Which pick could you live with if he doesn't pan out, and the other does?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which pick could you live with if he doesn't pan out, and the other does?

I could live with passing on Stroud in favor of Bryce

Bryce has been the consensus QB1 for 2 years and it hasn’t even been close. This happens every year when draft season ramps up.

I personally think Bryce is too smart, accurate and good under pressure to flat out bust

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, bababoey said:

I don't get the whole "Young is the Mahomes light" idea.  Mahomes is a purple unicorn.  He can run around all over the place get hit and still make perfect throws because he has an arm that maybe only 1 other guy in the NFL has right now.  It's a cannon.  Young has no where near that kind of arm.  The main reason that Mahomes can make those is because he has that arm.  Young does not have anywhere near that kind of arm, it's not a bad arm it is just average, and people think he is going to be able to do the same things.  

When Young reads the defense and throws on time he is as good as any QB in this class but when he makes plays off schedule he looks great,  in college.  What happens when he can't make off schedule plays in the NFL.  He will still be good but he won't be what everyone thinks he is now. 

If he was his size and had a Allen/Mahomes arm I could see him making those off schedule plays in the NFL.  Or if he was 215 lb and had his current arm strength I could see him doing it.  But at his size and his arm strength I just don't see it.

I agree Mahomes light means 85% of Patrick M. at best. Let me get the possibility of 100% of a Joe Burrow(Stroud) vs the possibility of 85% of Mahomes(Young). Besides if Young extends plays like Mahomes he is going to get hit. That’s a fact. There is no way a player evades NFL defenders like Bryce evaded college defenders without occasionally getting lit up.

I have seen Josh Allen and Mahomes both take big shots. You can’t bet on 10 to 15 years at the highest level expecting not to get lit up. You can’t realistically even expect that to happen for 3 years.

I also understand Young needs the least amount of adjustment time and will need very little coaching to adjust to the NFL. Why did Tepper invest all that money in an All-Star coaching  staff if they dont have to develop the rookie QB? It literally makes no sense. Pick the player without longevity concerns and the highest potential ceiling. That’s Stroud.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I mean, if they're both great QBs with one maybe being a little better, then I might not complain as much, or at all...but at the end of the day we had better have a legit---I mean LEGIT franchise QB. If our QB just happens to be the one that flops, I will be calling for heads to roll.

• Pie 2

I’ll be more pissed if Young is great and we take a bad Stroud than if Young gets hurt and we miss a good Stroud. Mainly because it’ll be another example of us overthinking poo and missing out. If Young gets hurt at least we went with the better QB prospect and took a shot.

I’m happy taking Stroud because I think he’ll at least be decent but it’s also playing scared, so I just hope he can get over his pressure issues because I think people assume that can be fixed easier that it has historically.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, top dawg said:

I mean, if they're both great QBs with one maybe being a little better, then I might not complain as much, or at all...but at the end of the day we had better have a legit---I mean LEGIT franchise QB. If our QB just happens to be the one that flops, I will be calling for heads to roll.

Agreed. If whoever we draft has us competitive every year with a chance to make a Super Bowl run then I could care less how the other guy does.

• Pie 1

Just now, stan786 said:

I’ll be more pissed if Young is great and we take a bad Stroud than if Young gets hurt and we miss a good Stroud. Mainly because it’ll be another example of us overthinking poo and missing out. If Young gets hurt at least we went with the better QB prospect and took a shot.

I’m happy taking Stroud because I think he’ll at least be decent but it’s also playing scared, so I just hope he can get over his pressure issues because I think people assume that can be fixed easier that it has historically.

If we are not drafting scared then we should just draft AR? I’m kidding… kind of…

• Pie 7

4 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

I agree Mahomes light means 85% of Patrick M. at best. Let me get the possibility of 100% of a Joe Burrow(Stroud) vs the possibility of 85% of Mahomes(Young). Besides if Young extends plays like Mahomes he is going to get hit. That’s a fact. There is no way a player evades NFL defenders like Bryce evaded college defenders without occasionally getting lit up.

I have seen Josh Allen and Mahomes both take big shots. You can’t bet on 10 to 15 years at the highest level expecting not to get lit up. You can’t realistically even expect that to happen for 3 years.

I also understand Young needs the least amount of adjustment time and will need very little coaching to adjust to the NFL. Why did Tepper invest all that money in an All-Star coaching  staff if they dont have to develop the rookie QB? It literally makes no sense. Pick the player without longevity concerns and the highest potential ceiling. That’s Stroud.

I reject the notion that Stroud has the highest ceiling. If he did, he would've proved it in college. People are just saying that because of Young's size.

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

If we are not drafting scared then we should just draft AR? I’m kidding… kind of…

There’s an argument for it 100% hahaha. I think that’s fine but we clearly want a guy we can slot in right away and I don’t personally think Bryce’s ceiling is that much lower than Richardsons just a brain vs brawn thing.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

The only answer is draft AR and both the pro Stroud folks and the Bryce Young lunatics can lick their wounds together. I'm warming more and more to this scenario.

Make It So Star Trek GIF

The Bryce Young supporters are "lunatics," and the Stroud supporters just "folks?" Interesting. 

• Beer 1