• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

JT O'Sullivan's QB Rankings for 2023

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

For someone that says he is sick of the "debate", you sure do love taking shots at Young. If you're going to bash Bama's schedule, you could at least be fair and mention OSU's powerhouse lineup of Toledo, Rutgers, Northwestern, and Arkansas St. Both schools took advantage of their schedules and non conference opponents.

Anywho, here's to Ahlers at 1. We gotta have that size!

East Carolina Football GIF by ECU Athletics

In fairness I'm only responding to posts that completely negate Young's one major flaw heading into the league while taking shots at Stroud for having quality receivers and ignoring the fact it's a mutual relationship and without his accuracy those receivers might not look so all world. When we first traded up to the top pick I started looking at film for all the QB's with an open mind. Now mostly everyone have taken to their respective corners.

You know sometimes in this debate where we keep yammering on about extending plays and football IQ you would occasionally think this isn't a league where footwork accuracy and ball placement are so important in a time where offenses are so pass happy. There's more than one way to win a Super Bowl but for me I keep coming back to the fact we haven't seen a very gifted passer in some time. Stroud doesn't have the strongest arm but he can put the ball wherever he wants. I still lean toward that and let the staff develop him if our goal is to win a championship. If we have the cajones to pass on that I would rather say fug it and risk it all developing Anthony Richardson.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

In fairness I'm only responding to posts that completely negate Young's one major flaw heading into the league while taking shots at Stroud for having quality receivers and ignoring the fact it's a mutual relationship and without his accuracy those receivers might not look so all world. When we first traded up to the top pick I started looking at film for all the QB's with an open mind. Now mostly everyone have taken to their respective corners.

You know sometimes in this debate where we keep yammering on about extending plays and football IQ you would occasionally think this isn't a league where footwork accuracy and ball placement are so important in a time where offenses are so pass happy. There's more than one way to win a Super Bowl but for me I keep coming back to the fact we haven't seen a very gifted passer in some time. Stroud doesn't have the strongest arm but he can put the ball wherever he wants. I still lean toward that and let the staff develop him if our goal is to win a championship. If we have the cajones to pass on that I would rather say fug it and risk it all developing Anthony Richardson.

I get what you're saying. I will say that MH jr would make any QB look good. That dude is a game changer and a man amongst boys in college. Too bad the Panthers don't have a first next year.

I agree about taking a risk with Richardson. Since Fitt and Co have already put their careers on the line with the trade, it's time to go big or go home.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I get what you're saying. I will say that MH jr would make any QB look good. That dude is a game changer and a man amongst boys in college. Too bad the Panthers don't have a first next year.

I agree about taking a risk with Richardson. Since Fitt and Co have already put their careers on the line with the trade, it's time to go big or go home.

Oh yeah I'm not downplaying Marvin Harrison Jr at all he's going to be a stud. I've seen Young's film and there are things to like but I think this is a situation where we figuratively and literally need to go big or go home just as you say. Glad we agree on that detail 😉🫡

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Oh yeah I'm not downplaying Marvin Harrison Jr at all he's going to be a stud. I've seen Young's film and there are things to like but I think this is a situation where we figuratively and literally need to go big or go home just as you say. Glad we agree on that detail 😉🫡

Warners two breakdown vids of Stroud highlights how he quickly reads the defense, makes a decision where to go with the ball and accurately places the ball where the wr can catch it and away from the defender.  MHjr is great but he solely doesnt make stroud

• Beer 3

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

Right. Stroud's too puny as well. The pick has to be Nfl Spin GIF by The Undroppables or East Carolina Football GIF by ECU Athletics if the Panthers go QB. I'm all for bringing Marty back and going after Campbell(LB) or Robinson(RB) too. Go, go Team Chaos!

6 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How do you know they like young more?

I don't, but in watching some per draft specials and other tidbits, it's sounds like Young is mentioned more with Texans than CJ in what fits what they want to do. What that is, IDK. 

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, musicman said:

I don't, but in watching some per draft specials and other tidbits, it's sounds like Young is mentioned more with Texans than CJ in what fits what they want to do. What that is, IDK. 

They have a DC as their HC, apparently everyone thinks Bryce is ready to call plays at the line of scrimmage and be a scrambling playmaker so it makes sense from that stand point. Like a tiny Watson/Rodgers

On 4/5/2023 at 10:03 AM, Wolfcop said:

Players are bigger, stronger, and faster than they were 20 years ago. Size still matters a great deal and should be a concern, as it is. Young will get hit and his small frame will be tested. Huge gamble to take when you have a comparable talent on the board. 

Good thing we don’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everyone of these QBs is going to have a learning curve to get ready to play in the pros. Young looks the most ready but he had the better coaches and he appears to be quite smart. One question is whether his size and good but not great measurables give him the highest floor but limit his ceiling given there are some throws he isn't good at and his size and the need to protect him limit his value in the run game. The fact that CJ played so much better against the best team he faced could be because his game is still evolving. Most of his games this year they won because they were the better team and CJ didn't have to do that much to win.  He had his best game on the biggest stage playing against a better team. Perhaps his ceiling is a little higher as he keeps figuring out more elements to his game like running and being elusive. 

I am sure you could argue that Young has a higher floor and ceiling but I cant shake the image of Tua (who is bigger than Young) getting ragdolled and potentially ending his career. After seeing all of our quarterbacks get hurt this year, people saying size and durability aren't correlated are ignoring how many qbs get hurt each year. And Young would be one of the smaller qbs ever to play the game.

And I will say one thing about Richardson. If we pick him expect a lot of losses if he starts his rookie year or get excited about Dalton starting until Richardson is ready if we plan on actually being competitive next year.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:42 PM, Pup McBarky said:

Yes, I am well aware. However, as I said previously, "throwing guys open" in college and "throwing guys open" in the NFL are two very different things and while adjustments can be made, arm strength plays a much larger part in the NFL than in college because NFL defensive players are all faster and better at anticipating routes. Tighter windows. Doesn't matter how good one anticipates routes if you can't fit it in that window. That takes a minimal amount of arm strength. Perhaps Young has it. I trust our staff to decide that, but I've read some articles that cast doubt on it. Particularly on long outs and cross-field throws.

Bryce has the arm strength to make NFL throws.  That's not an issue.  Where he is going to get into trouble IMO is if he tries to keep his scrambling style and off platform throws.  He doesn't have the zip on those balls that work in the NFL.

• Pie 2