• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

2 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Ideally, I'd love a mobile version of Peyton Manning.  That what I want for our team. 

Guess what? That doesn't exist in this draft.   

I've been watching football long enough to know there isn't any correlation between size of QB and his ability to have a long, successful career. There are less small guys in the history of the NFL, but that is to be a given. 

How smart does the QB play? How well protected is he?  Do refs allow players to tee off on smaller guys like they allowed for Cam?

Taking size out of the equation,  Young is the best QB in this draft.

If Frank is concerned about Young's size, then we will see it on draft day. 

Yes.  I would say the oline, processing, etc. are much more of an indication of the likelihood to injure than one's size.  In fact, more weight on the frame combined with more movement increases the likelihood for injury.  I would love for him to be 6'4" and 220 but they get hurt too.  In the end, who is the better player--leave the prediction injuries job to those who know--

Metaphor time!!

Remember in Apollo 13--that astronaut was pulled from the flight because they thought he would get the chicken pox.  He did not go, and did not catch the chicken pox.  Instead, another astronaut got sick during the mission.  Everything then went wrong--and they never landed on the moon. 

apollo 13 GIF

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, poundaway said:

So can someone share with me some  examples of QB's who got hurt and missed playing time and can definitely say, it was because of his size.  Someone big hit him.  The hit did damage that would not have been done on a larger player.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47h2f09vaw6qgdajgmps

On 4/8/2023 at 9:02 PM, poundaway said:

So can someone share with me some  examples of QB's who got hurt and missed playing time and can definitely say, it was because of his size.  Someone big hit him.  The hit did damage that would not have been done on a larger player.

Wow, not a single example.  Not one.  So the only data presented says that bigger QB's get hurt MORE, and no one can find a single example where a QB's injury can be blamed on his smaller size.  I guess the size/durability concerns were truly nonsense.

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

Wow, not a single example.  Not one.  So the only data presented says that bigger QB's get hurt MORE, and no one can find a single example where a QB's injury can be blamed on his smaller size.  I guess the size/durability concerns were truly nonsense.

I guess when you are burdened with so much common sense that it gives you more knowledge than the experts, you just don't need facts to support your thinking.  It just comes to you. 

I have noticed that I provide an opinion and back it with sources and facts and people argue with me--that makes me laugh at them--I am simply saying, "this is my opinion and here are the facts it is based on."  They still want to argue--as if their approval is necessary for me to have an opinion.   Sandbox logic.  Or they dispute facts and data because in their brains, "it don't make no sense." 

Good point.  Not to say that they are wrong, just to say they have not proven themselves to be right.

• Pie 1

It's not just about injuries but also overcoming a disadvantage against defenses. Smaller details become more apparent at the next level. At this stage there's too little data to suggest his size will hinder his career or not because there have just been so few in his height/weight range. But defensive coordinators will be looking over that Bama tape same as us and they will hone in on the LSU game in particular.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

It's not just about injuries but also overcoming a disadvantage against defenses. Smaller details become more apparent at the next level. At this stage there's too little data to suggest his size will hinder his career or not because there have just been so few in his height/weight range. But defensive coordinators will be looking over that Bama tape same as us and they will hone in on the LSU game in particular.

Isn't that the game Young had difficulties recovering from 2 failed attempts going down field in the game to win it.

• Poo 1

2 minutes ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

Isn't that the game Young had difficulties recovering from 2 failed attempts going down field in the game to win it.

Yeah he had a particularly ugly RZ INT in the end zone. Which when you consider all the talk about Stroud's struggles against pressure you would think you'd never see that from Young. There's things to like from both prospects but the fangirling is leading to some takes essentially suggesting Young has significantly less potential bust possibility than Stroud. And that's just not reality. They both have their looming cons and that's why Chicago moved out of 1.

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah he had a particularly ugly RZ INT in the end zone. Which when you consider all the talk about Stroud's struggles against pressure you would think you'd never see that from Young. There's things to like from both prospects but the fangirling is leading to some takes essentially suggesting Young has significantly less potential bust possibility than Stroud. And that's just not reality. They both have their looming cons and that's why Chicago moved out of 1.

I also don't see why Bryce never gets criticized for standing on his tippy toes, sometimes literally jumping in the air to throw, not sliding when he runs the ball, things other guys usually get killed for. 

• Beer 2

On 4/10/2023 at 7:18 PM, poundaway said:

Brother, here is my side. Theres a ideal size is nearly all work/jobs/setting/etc... I dont see any 7'2 players out on the field, nor do I see any 600 LBs ones.....(maybe just wait a few hundred years....). Same goes for 4'8 and 105 LBs..... Young is just farther away form the typical size scale than I care for. 

But...its a whole new world, QBs are like some sort of projected class of people now....Panthers have a whole new staff, that I believe in all their history.......best QB judgement. They got this...

• Beer 1

You folllow me around, lie about my post history have entire conversation off topic about me.  I ignore you.  Now you cry to the Mods cause you got a couple reactions on some posts?  Goat336 pooed 20 of my posts yesterday.

Its just a message board frank.  People pie posts they like and poo posts they don't. 

You take this WAY to seriously.  Talk about needing mental health check.