• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Get ready for Derrick Browns next contract…..

WarPanthers89

Obviously different players so no I am not saying this is an apple to apple comparison. I would like to discuss Browns next contract through and what we can realistically expect to pay. Cap goes up every year and Brown is growing into a really impactful player and has improved each season. It’s a slow time so get off Young and Strouds jock and let’s discuss some hog Molly future contracts in Burns and Brown.

ARTICLE:

Word that Titans defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons agreed to a contract extension with the team on Friday has been followed by reports about the terms of the deal.

Turron Davenport of ESPN.com reports that there it is a four-year, $94 million deal for Simmons. Simmons had been set to make a base salary of $10.753 million under the terms of the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

Closer looks at Simmons’ new pact will show further details, but Davenport reports there is $66 million in guaranteed money and a $24 million signing bonus. The annual average of the deal puts Simmons behind only Aaron Donald among defensive tackles.

That will be of interest to a number of other teams and players as they move toward deals of their own. Simmons’ fellow 2019 first-round picks Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins, and Dexter Lawrence are all looking for new deals this offseason and Simmons’ agreement — along with Daron Payne‘s new deal in Washington — will likely have ripple effects through their own negotiations in the coming weeks and months.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/07/reports-jeffery-simmons-deal-is-for-four-years-94-million/

D8AF0784-31D6-409C-809C-6EB520E03B07.jpeg

FF444F18-2E4F-4097-ABA9-ACC995491562.jpeg

• Pie 3

First, I want to thank you for giving us something else to talk about.

I’ll be interested if Simmons pass rushing profile gives him a bit more of a boost contract wise, regardless having this QB on a rookie contract is going to be nice as we end up extending Burns, Brown, and eventually Horn.

Edited by stan786
  • Pie 6
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

So much for have 100 mil plus of cap space next year. That's going up in smoke real quick with  a few of these big re signings this off season or next

I really believe Brown, Burns, Horn, and hopefully Chinn become our building block home grown stars over the next few seasons. You can’t let young talent like that get away that you helped develop. Our cap team can always make it work, Saints we’re 100 million over and are already middle of the pack in the nfl cap space after signing Carr to a 100 million dollar contract. You can afford to lock these guys up with a (fingers crossed) franchise QB on a 5 year rookie pay scale.

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 2

13 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I really believe Brown, Burns, Horn, and hopefully Chinn become our building block home grown stars over the next few seasons. You can’t let young talent like that get away that you helped develop.

They won't sign them all because you can't tie up most of the money on defense in the current era. There's guys on the offense, like Icky, they'll want to re-sign. Plus free agents and future draft picks too.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

They won't sign them all because you can't tie up most of the money on defense in the current era. There's guys on the offense, like Icky, they'll want to re-sign. Plus free agents and future draft picks too.

Yeah if they are on each layer of the defense. Every team has an expensive vet at each level of a defense. Plus a rookie QB wage scale gives toy a ton of flexibility. Again Saints were 100 million over the cap and are now middle in the NFL in cap space even AFTER signing Carr to a 100 million dollar deal. 

My problem with paying all these defense guys is none of them are rock stars. Burns is the closest thing and that might be mostly because he IS the pass rush on our team. I've seen far too many crucial moments and games where he is a no show and I'm just shaking my head saying "where the hell is the pass rush??" That last Bucs game is searing in my head particularly. 

I better see some defensive players balling the fug out in 2023. And I better see Horn and Donte stay healthy. 

Edited by Pantha-kun
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Yeah if they are on each layer of the defense. Every team has an expensive vet at each level of a defense. Plus a rookie QB wage scale gives toy a ton of flexibility. Again Saints were 100 million over the cap and are now middle in the NFL in cap space even AFTER signing Carr to a 100 million dollar deal. 

The Saints have that voodoo cap magic. The Panthers don't have that.😄

Seriously though, even if the cap goes up, every player is going to want a bigger slice of the pie. As @WUnderhill pointed out, 24 million used to be QB money. Now, it's DT money while QBs are getting 40-50 million. Chinn will probably be the odd man out, maybe Horn as well if he can't stay healthy.

One other thing to consider is if TMJ makes a leap this season, he'll be in line for a new contract. With WR contracts already going over 100 million for the top guys, the non elite WRs will want a lot more as well and that includes TMJ.