• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers to draft LG early?

MHS831

40 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I think the Panthers will look for a guard or tackle in the 5th round.

Originally, that is what I was mocking.  However, when I see who they brought in, it tells me that they are looking for a starter--and that will only be found early.  (Just my theory--nothing stated).  Do we need a starting WR?  probably not for this season right away.  CB?  Depends on Jackson.  TE? Nope.  OLB?  Nope--but it would be nice.  If they move Brady out of LG (assuming they do not love Mays or McCray) and make him the swing T, I could see them drafting G at 39.  I never would have said that last week or before.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Originally, that is what I was mocking.  However, when I see who they brought in, it tells me that they are looking for a starter--and that will only be found early.  (Just my theory--nothing stated).  Do we need a starting WR?  probably not for this season right away.  CB?  Depends on Jackson.  TE? Nope.  OLB?  Nope--but it would be nice.  If they move Brady out of LG (assuming they do not love Mays or McCray) and make him the swing T, I could see them drafting G at 39.  I never would have said that last week or before.

Then that would be a major prediction on your part. I typically mock a OLB at 39 because of the level of importance the pass rush has. We could play Luvu as OLB, but his speed is not great. Luvu, at his fastest was a 4.85 40 yard dash. You typically want a 3-4 OLB to be at least bare minimum 4.6 40 imo. Trenton Stevenson runs a 4.43 40 and I think he will be there at 39 and can play OLB for us. Technically we could just put Luvu out there and he would be serviceable. 

If we take a guard at 39 then I'll be stunned, and you'll have made a major prediction.

• Pie 1

OLB is the popular pick, and what I want.  I just see their interest in a G, and under these conditions, they will want a starting G. 

I agree--I also think we need a CB more than people realize--and a WR---etc

If we can get 3 impact players out of this draft--Win win win.

Just now, MHS831 said:

OLB is the popular pick, and what I want.  I just see their interest in a G, and under these conditions, they will want a starting G. 

We have some bright minds in this new staff.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the later picks work out better than in the past.  

1 hour ago, Varking said:

He’s an absolute stud. Best player we had a Florida this year. He was a full time starter for Billy before he was a Gator and never allowed a sack. Last year at Florida he only allowed one sack. If he was available at 39 I’d be surprised. A lot of mocks have him going in the first. Would love for him him to drop to us in the second!

If he makes it to us. O is a definite option.  As much as I like the upside of his I think with Campen we can find a cheaper diamond in the rough later.  

Edited by mickeye76
Think faster that I can type

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

With OLB I know the Panthers are going to have BJ Ojulari in for visit. Could be looking at him to play OLB imo.

With CB I think it comes down to how you feel about Henderson. Some fans don't trust him.

I really want to grab a TE since that's a strength of this draft but TE and WR were patched up to serviceable so I'm not sure that's where we spend early. I think CB has to be considered if we don't grab someone decent in FA, we are one injury (from someone who has been unlucky there already) from disaster at that position as it stands. I'd love to bolster G as well, but maybe not in r2.

Not gonna cry if we grab someone sexy at WR or especially TE, but man we need help at some other spots also.

7 minutes ago, pantherj said:

If we don't take an OLB in the draft, and Luvu is too small for OLB, then we can suffer through YGM playing OLB. I really don't want that. REALLY.

There's still some good band-aid fixes for a year like Floyd, Ngakoue, and Ingram. If there's an OLB that fits the BPA slot at 39, I think we take him....but I don't see a reach when there's two guys there with familiarity with Reich and Evero.

Rome wasn't built in a day. 

1 minute ago, Soul Rebel said:

There's still some good band-aid fixes for a year like Floyd, Ngakoue, and Ingram. If there's an OLB that fits the BPA slot at 39, I think we take him....but I don't see a reach when there's two guys there with familiarity with Reich and Evero.

Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Yeah Fitt has already mentioned that we can't really fully make this transition to 3-4 and get everything we need with this draft and FA. He didn't say that word for word, but that was the point he was trying to get across. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, pantherj said:

If we don't take an OLB in the draft, and Luvu is too small for OLB, then we can suffer through YGM playing OLB. I really don't want that. REALLY.

I have been in the OLB/CB camp for awhile, but I’ve actually come around to prefer an elite LG if one falls to us at 39. We are drafting a QB (seemingly one with a small frame at this point) and the last time we were in this position we landed a league MVP. But we never properly protected him which hurt both his overall production and really killed his longevity. 

We aren’t far off from an fairly elite OL. Moton,Icky, Boze, Corbett… let’s just fill this thing out, dominate teams on the ground and keep this QB here for the next 15 years 

6 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

We will be taking a OL if the draft falls that way. Could be early could be late. My money is on that 114 pick. I don't think Chandler will make it that far though. Bradford is in play there. 

1. CJ

39. DJ Turner

93. DJ Johnson 

114. Best OL or a skill guy RB, TE or WR.  

Nose tackle, Skill if OL is the 114 and another corner are options rest of way. 

very possible.   I really like the TCU guard, so my bias came pouring out.