• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer's Annual Mock

Mr. Scot

Writeups for the above quarterback picks:

Colts: Stroud is the best fit for Shane Steichen’s offense. I’ve heard assistant GM Ed Dodds, who has juice in that building, really likes him. But, as I’ve also heard it, GM Chris Ballard puts stock in the S2 test, which could be an issue for Stroud. Ballard was all over Will Levis in the fall, and I don’t think Indy has the issue with his personality that other teams do. Then, there’s how the developmental template used on Jalen Hurts (whom Steichen coached in Philadelphia) could work wonders for Anthony Richardson. And even the little tell in the workout with BYU’s Jaren Hall being tucked in with all the others when the Colts were traveling around to see these guys (which could be for the scenario in which the Colts go with a non-QB at No. 4). So I’m holding my breath here and going with Stroud.

Texans: I had to find a home for Levis, and if it’s not Indianapolis, it’s hard to find one. Levis has had a very up-and-down ride through the predraft process—from some interviews that left teams wondering about his personality, to the more recent buzz that he’ll go higher than expected. In the scenario I’ve laid out, I do think Richardson would be a consideration. But Levis, who is tough, experienced and was beloved in Lexington, gets the nod, with the feeling he’ll be ready to play faster.

Bucs: I didn’t want to give them a quarterback, because I do think the Bucs are excited to see what they have in Baker Mayfield and Kyle Trask. And if it were Levis sitting there for Tampa, I might go with, say, Oklahoma OT Anton Harrison. But the value of Richardson being here, in tandem with the top tackles being gone, makes this a swing that Tampa has to take in its first-year post–Tom Brady. And those other quarterbacks on the roster? They would give the Bucs leeway to sit Richardson for a year if they want to.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I get Robinson is one of the best prospects, if not the best, in the draft, but first round RBs is a big no for me.

A lot of people have been projecting Robinson to the Eagles at 10 but a few with knowledge of the way Howie Roseman thinks don't believe that'll happen.

Guess we'll see...

I definitely could see it happen. QBs get hyped up every year and then some inevitably fall. Regardless, in the Scenario, if we stay at 9 we are getting Levis or Richardson, neither ready to start tomorrow (I really don't care what twitter scout says he could play day 1, he can't read coverages yet) and we aren't going to suck enough to be in position to get a good one next year either. So to me, I love the move, and inwill be excited no matter what happens with the rest of the draft.

1 minute ago, csx said:

He's possibly the best player in the draft.

I stated that too. I still don't ever want to see the Panthers draft another first round RB. The cost/production/longevity just isn't there for RBs anymore thanks to the rule changes and the NFL's desire for the passing game.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Breer isn't as in the business of doing mocks on a regular basis. He prefers to do just one close to the draft and vets his choices with personnel people.

What does he foresee for the quarterbacks? Obviously Bryce Young goes first overall to the Panthers because he's been saying that for a while.

The rest are listed below:

4. Colts - CJ Stroud

The Colts wind up getting CJ Stroud without moving up at all after the Texans and Cardinals take other positions. Mind you, Breer does believe the Cardinals could potentially deal their pick...to the nervous Colts. Same result.

12. Texans - Will Levis

Like the Colts, the Texans also get a quarterback without trading up. In this case it's Levis, who Breer acknowledges could also go to Indianapolis.

So whither Richardson?

19. Bucs - Anthony Richardson

To Tampa, who + having Baker Mayfield - can afford to sit him for a year while he adjusts to the NFL.

So basically, we get the guy we wanted after massively trading up while everybody else gets one by just kinda sitting there.

Not sure I like how this plays out for us...

...and I'm probably not alone.

“Basically we get the consensus best qb in the draft while every one else has to settle for the rest” is more appropriate